Feb 16, 2014, 4:57 AM EDT
SOCHI, Russia — Mike Babcock had a plan, and he’s sticking with it.
Hence, the decision by Team Canada’s head coach to start Carey Price over Roberto Luongo tonight versus Finland in his team’s final test of the preliminary round. If Price plays well, the net should be his for the win-or-go-home games.
But if he doesn’t?
“At the Olympic Games, you’re allowed one change,” said Babcock.
Babcock, of course, used his one change four years ago in Vancouver, where he turned to Luongo for the elimination games after Martin Brodeur lost to the United States in the preliminary round.
Arguments could be made for both Price and Luongo — who beat minnows Norway and Austria, respectively, in Canada’s first two games here in Sochi — to get the nod going forward. The former was in better form coming into the Games, but the latter has more big-game experience, including a victory in the 2010 gold-medal game.
For Price, assuming he doesn’t lose the job versus the Finns, the next week will be the biggest of his career. Even in the hockey-mad city of Montreal, he hasn’t faced the pressure of playing the sport’s most important position, against the world’s best players, and with a demanding country’s hopes on the line.
- Agent: Franson has spoken with ‘half a dozen’ teams (Updated) 6
- Your 2015 HHOF Class: Fedorov, Housley, Lidstrom, Pronger, Ruggiero 23
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder 90
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ 81
- Sens’ Chiasson headed for arbitration 1
- Pricey Platoon? Stars reportedly sign Niemi for three years, $13.5M 18
- Hodgson, Stalberg placed on unconditional waivers 24
- Buyouts loom as Richards, Parenteau and Fistric clear unconditional waivers 4
- UFA of the Day: Chris Stewart 17
- Penguins sign Ian Cole to a three-year, $6.3 million deal 11
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (90)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (81)
- Trade: Flames land Dougie Hamilton for package of picks (75)
- Trade: Busy Bruins send Lucic to Kings (66)
- Consensus reached: 5 minutes of 3-on-3 OT could be in place for 2015-16 (60)