Feb 16, 2014, 7:12 AM EDT
Slovenia’s Sabahudin Kovacevic will not be eligible to play against the United States today, according to NHL.com, after receiving a one-game suspension for hitting Slovakia’s Tomas Kopecky in the head during Saturday’s contest.
Kopecky, who will miss today’s game against Russia, could be shelved for a significant length of time. While it hasn’t been confirmed, he might be done for the tournament, according to CBC’s Elliotte Friedman.
If Kopecky suffered a concussion — which is a strong possibility, given the nature of the hit — there’s no telling how long he’ll be sidelined for. His injury also compounds the Panthers’ misfortune in the Olympics as the only other player they sent to the games, Aleksander Barkov, might end up missing the next 4-6 weeks.
- Ex-‘Hawks goalie Raanta tees off on former club 30
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls 114
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? 81
- Hall of Famer Al Arbour passes away 22
- Poll: Who will be San Jose’s next captain? 24
- Mike Richards charged with possession of controlled substance 95
- Gio won’t go: Flames extend Giordano for six years, $40.5M 13
- Pens’ plan for now: Crosby starts as Kessel’s center 25
- O, Dear: Russia fined $85K for skipping Canadian anthem 31
- Kings ink Ehrhoff to a one-year, $1.5 million deal 27
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls (114)
- Mike Richards charged with possession of controlled substance (95)
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? (81)
- Lucic jokes about running through Rask ‘like I did (to) another goalie’ (42)
- It’s Chicago Blackhawks day at PHT (40)