Feb 16, 2014, 7:12 AM EDT
Slovenia’s Sabahudin Kovacevic will not be eligible to play against the United States today, according to NHL.com, after receiving a one-game suspension for hitting Slovakia’s Tomas Kopecky in the head during Saturday’s contest.
Kopecky, who will miss today’s game against Russia, could be shelved for a significant length of time. While it hasn’t been confirmed, he might be done for the tournament, according to CBC’s Elliotte Friedman.
If Kopecky suffered a concussion — which is a strong possibility, given the nature of the hit — there’s no telling how long he’ll be sidelined for. His injury also compounds the Panthers’ misfortune in the Olympics as the only other player they sent to the games, Aleksander Barkov, might end up missing the next 4-6 weeks.
- On carrying three goalies, and which teams might be forced to do it 4
- Bettman: NHL won’t expand ‘just to fulfill somebody’s notion of symmetry’ 8
- Report: Johansen lowers demands, but not low enough 33
- Injuries piling up as preseason schedule begins 11
- Report: Fedorov denies contract offer was made to Johansen 8
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers 44
- Update: Drouin out with upper body injury, not expected to miss preseason 1
- Report: NHL officials to participate in preseason without new CBA 1
- Evander Kane: I know I can score 50 goals 16
- ‘C’-less Thornton comes out swing against Wilson’s ‘tomorrow team’ talk 19
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (65)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers (44)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)
- Just how damaging are heated negotiations between Jackets, RFA Johansen? (38)