Feb 16, 2014, 7:12 AM EDT
Slovenia’s Sabahudin Kovacevic will not be eligible to play against the United States today, according to NHL.com, after receiving a one-game suspension for hitting Slovakia’s Tomas Kopecky in the head during Saturday’s contest.
Kopecky, who will miss today’s game against Russia, could be shelved for a significant length of time. While it hasn’t been confirmed, he might be done for the tournament, according to CBC’s Elliotte Friedman.
If Kopecky suffered a concussion — which is a strong possibility, given the nature of the hit — there’s no telling how long he’ll be sidelined for. His injury also compounds the Panthers’ misfortune in the Olympics as the only other player they sent to the games, Aleksander Barkov, might end up missing the next 4-6 weeks.
- Kings stave off elimination, force Game 5 against Sharks 4
- Wild hold off late Avalanche push to even series at 2-2 46
- Bruins scratch out OT win, push Red Wings to brink 26
- WATCH LIVE: San Jose Sharks at L.A. Kings 0
- WATCH LIVE: Colorado Avalanche at Minnesota Wild (Game 4) 5
- Monster of a surprise: Red Wings start Gustavsson over Howard 5
- WATCH LIVE: Boston Bruins at Detroit Red Wings (Game 4) 2
- Bylsma rips Penguins, calls effort level ‘troubling’ 64
- Cooke: I didn’t intend to collide knee-on-knee with Barrie 99
- On ‘score effects,’ and the challenges of playing with the lead 11
- Video: Seabrook ejected for charging Backes; will face hearing (update) (153)
- Bad luck strikes twice: Lightning goal waved off, Stamkos takes knee to head (137)
- Keith doesn’t remember if he taunted Backes after Seabrook hit (125)
- Video: Lucic spears DeKeyser from behind (118)
- Wild’s Cooke offered in-person hearing for knee-on-knee collision with Barrie (111)