Feb 16, 2014, 7:12 AM EST
Slovenia’s Sabahudin Kovacevic will not be eligible to play against the United States today, according to NHL.com, after receiving a one-game suspension for hitting Slovakia’s Tomas Kopecky in the head during Saturday’s contest.
Kopecky, who will miss today’s game against Russia, could be shelved for a significant length of time. While it hasn’t been confirmed, he might be done for the tournament, according to CBC’s Elliotte Friedman.
If Kopecky suffered a concussion — which is a strong possibility, given the nature of the hit — there’s no telling how long he’ll be sidelined for. His injury also compounds the Panthers’ misfortune in the Olympics as the only other player they sent to the games, Aleksander Barkov, might end up missing the next 4-6 weeks.
- Trading baggage: Blue Jackets grab Clarkson, send Horton’s contract to Leafs 49
- Panthers acquire Jagr from Devils 27
- Trotz doesn’t see a ‘big, sexy, difference-maker guy’ on the market 16
- What’s up with the reports of problems in the Blackhawks’ room? 40
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight 76
- Lombardi happy to get ‘one of the better defenseman on the market’ in Sekera 3
- NHL on NBCSN: Wild need two points from NHL-leading Preds 20
- Video: Potential No. 1 overall pick Connor McDavid goes end-to-end, top shelf 9
- Video: Penguins hold on to beat Capitals for first time this season 29
- Video: Fight erupts between Penguins and Capitals inside Pittsburgh’s bench 40
- Leafs’ Rielly apologizes for insensitive remarks (86)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (76)
- Chiarelli understands scrutiny on GM and coach, but says, ‘It’s unfortunate that we’re under review for one year’ (69)
- ‘I don’t know why we’re so comfortable,’ says Toews after loss to Avalanche (69)
- Report: Alex Petrovic avoids discipline after injuring Patrick Kane (65)