Feb 16, 2014, 7:23 AM EST
The Slovaks are going with KHL netminder Jan Laco for their final group game against the Russians on Sunday, the team announced. Halak will serve as the backup while Montreal’s Peter Budaj is a healthy scratch, according to CBC’s Elliotte Friedman.
As mentioned, Halak shouldered the load following the aforementioned defeat to Slovenia.
“I think the first goal, that was a really weak goal for me,” he said following the game. “I think that kind of set the tone for the rest of the period for us.”
Halak had previously been pulled during Slovakia’s match against America, so it wasn’t shocking when the team decided to go with someone else today. What is surprising is they passed over Budaj, the only other NHL goalie on the roster.
This might end badly for Slovakia, but desperate times call for desperate measures. The game against Slovenia was Slovakia’s best chance earn a win. Now they’re in serious danger of ending this tournament at the bottom of the rankings.
- Steen, Blues hold on against Ovechkin, Capitals 4
- David Backes ejected after boarding, bloodying Karl Alzner 15
- End nearing? Lightning waive Nabokov 4
- Leafs scoring slump hits historical low 24
- Video: Rangers’ Lundqvist takes puck to the neck 10
- Zamboni driver arrested for DUI, allegedly cleaned ice surface while drunk 18
- Mike Richards trying to make the best of being sent to the AHL 16
- Price leads Habs past Caps with second straight shutout 12
- Report: Rob Blake would be Brendan Shanahan’s first choice to replace Dave Nonis 5
- Bettman would be ‘kicking and screaming’ before NHL jerseys have ads 29