Feb 16, 2014, 7:23 AM EDT
The Slovaks are going with KHL netminder Jan Laco for their final group game against the Russians on Sunday, the team announced. Halak will serve as the backup while Montreal’s Peter Budaj is a healthy scratch, according to CBC’s Elliotte Friedman.
As mentioned, Halak shouldered the load following the aforementioned defeat to Slovenia.
“I think the first goal, that was a really weak goal for me,” he said following the game. “I think that kind of set the tone for the rest of the period for us.”
Halak had previously been pulled during Slovakia’s match against America, so it wasn’t shocking when the team decided to go with someone else today. What is surprising is they passed over Budaj, the only other NHL goalie on the roster.
This might end badly for Slovakia, but desperate times call for desperate measures. The game against Slovenia was Slovakia’s best chance earn a win. Now they’re in serious danger of ending this tournament at the bottom of the rankings.
- Lindros, LeClair and Desjardins to be inducted into the Flyers Hall of Fame 36
- It’s back! PHT’s Team of the Day summer series starts tomorrow 7
- Pens sign Spaling — two years, $4.4 million 13
- Agent: Subban hasn’t told me to make him NHL’s highest-paid D 30
- Devils sign Greene to five-year, $25M extension 18
- Subban seeking $8.5 million in arbitration, versus the Habs at $5.25 million 46
- Marchand on Plekanec: ‘I hate him. I can’t stand him’ 59
- Gettin’ paid: Gardiner inks five-year, $20.25M extension with Leafs 15
- Report: Trottier to join Sabres’ coaching staff 21
- Blues sign former eighth overall pick Mueller 31
- Cashing in: Rangers sign Brassard to five-year, $25 million deal (63)
- Marchand on Plekanec: ‘I hate him. I can’t stand him’ (59)
- Subban seeking $8.5 million in arbitration, versus the Habs at $5.25 million (46)
- Trotz plans to let Johansson, Kuznetsov, and Burakovsky compete for time at center (45)
- Lindros, LeClair and Desjardins to be inducted into the Flyers Hall of Fame (38)