Feb 16, 2014, 7:23 AM EDT
The Slovaks are going with KHL netminder Jan Laco for their final group game against the Russians on Sunday, the team announced. Halak will serve as the backup while Montreal’s Peter Budaj is a healthy scratch, according to CBC’s Elliotte Friedman.
As mentioned, Halak shouldered the load following the aforementioned defeat to Slovenia.
“I think the first goal, that was a really weak goal for me,” he said following the game. “I think that kind of set the tone for the rest of the period for us.”
Halak had previously been pulled during Slovakia’s match against America, so it wasn’t shocking when the team decided to go with someone else today. What is surprising is they passed over Budaj, the only other NHL goalie on the roster.
This might end badly for Slovakia, but desperate times call for desperate measures. The game against Slovenia was Slovakia’s best chance earn a win. Now they’re in serious danger of ending this tournament at the bottom of the rankings.
- Kucherov isn’t going to ‘cry’ about Kronwall hit 12
- Nothing but Kuznetsov: Caps best Isles in Game 7 18
- Not done yet: Lightning earn Game 7 against Red Wings 7
- WATCH LIVE: Tonight’s Stanley Cup Playoff action 0
- Blues owner ‘disappointed and frustrated,’ but not ready to ‘throw people under the bus’ 28
- Despite ‘step in the right direction,’ do Canucks need to alter core? 16
- Report: Developers file intent to build arena in Seattle suburb 78
- Rangers lose Zuccarello indefinitely with suspected concussion 8
- Cooper: Lightning have to ‘suck it up’ and ‘fight through’ Wings’ interference 52
- Here’s your Stanley Cup playoff TV schedule for tonight 13
- It’s Done: Rangers eliminate Penguins in overtime (110)
- Another Blues campaign ends in disappoint as Wild advance (99)
- Bettman under fire after saying ‘Katy Perry’ chant wasn’t sexist (92)
- Friedman: Penguins need to ‘think about’ trading Malkin (89)
- Okposo blasts ‘idiot’ Wilson after physical outing versus Isles (82)