Shootout classic between U.S. and Russia sets NBCSN record for most watched hockey game in network history
Feb 16, 2014, 9:45 PM EDT
The numbers are in, and they’re fantastic. In fact, they’re record-breaking.
The NBC Sports Network averaged 4.1 million viewers for Saturday’s instant classic between the U.S. and Russia in the men’s hockey preliminary round at the 2014 Sochi Olympics. That sets a record for the most watched hockey game in the network’s history, according to a press release.
Numbers peaked at 6.4 million viewers, between 10-10:30 a.m. ET.
“The telecast of Team USA’s memorable men’s hockey victory led NBCSN to its best-ever daytime viewership (2.9 million viewers) and marked the third consecutive weekend day that NBCSN set a viewership record after last weekend’s milestone opening Saturday and Sunday telecasts of the Sochi Games,” according to a statement released by the network.
Saturday’s game also achieved history as the most streamed game in NBC Sports history. The spectacular viewership numbers weren’t just restricted to a single platform.
Minneapolis had the highest household ratings share at 15.7. The top-10 markets included Denver, Milwaukee, Salt Lake City, Ft. Myers, Kansas City, Indianapolis, Buffalo, Boston and Seattle.
It’s not hard to see why so many people tuned in. It was not only a highly anticipated match-up between two powerful hockey nations, but it featured some of the best players in the game, like Alex Ovechkin, Evgeni Malkin, Patrick Kane and Jonathan Quick – among many others.
Oshie’s performance under such pressure prompted massive reaction from across the hockey world, including peers and media. There was even a tweet from the White House sending its congratulations.
- On carrying three goalies, and which teams might be forced to do it 1
- Bettman: NHL won’t expand ‘just to fulfill somebody’s notion of symmetry’ 7
- Report: Johansen lowers demands, but not low enough 32
- Injuries piling up as preseason schedule begins 11
- Report: Fedorov denies contract offer was made to Johansen 8
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers 44
- Update: Drouin out with upper body injury, not expected to miss preseason 1
- Report: NHL officials to participate in preseason without new CBA 1
- Evander Kane: I know I can score 50 goals 16
- ‘C’-less Thornton comes out swing against Wilson’s ‘tomorrow team’ talk 19
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (65)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers (44)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)
- Just how damaging are heated negotiations between Jackets, RFA Johansen? (38)