Feb 16, 2014, 1:40 AM EST
It’s Canada against Finland to see which nation emerges as the top team in Group B in the preliminary round, and yet most of the attention will be on Mike Babcock and his lineup decisions for Sunday’s game.
Babcock, the Canadian head coach, has already made it known he will once again tinker with the lineup for this final preliminary game, with defenseman Dan Hamhuis and forward Patrick Sharp coming back in. Now, who on that roster comes out and sits?
It remains a guess as of right now. But with one game left until the medal round, Babcock is afforded the luxury of dressing some players, sitting others and mixing his lines to finds the combinations that will work.
“Believe me, these decisions aren’t easy,” Babcock said, as per NHL.com. “They’re difficult because they’re personal, because it’s about a player. When you have an interaction with a player, that’s personal. But it’s not about them. It’s about our country and it’s about making the right decisions.
“Now, if it’s not broke, why fix it? After Game 1 you could have said the lineup’s fine, but we had that opportunity. So you’re right in assuming it’s getting…let’s face it, right away it’s Game 7. But we have one more game that it isn’t.”
- ‘It sucks for us, it sucks for the fans’: Oilers losing skid hits six games 0
- Video: Milan Lucic calls Dalton Prout one-punch ‘gutless’ 20
- ‘We did not want to disrespect our fans’: Leafs salute supporters after beating Red Wings 3
- Video: Demers sends Stoll flying with massive open-ice hit 6
- Don Cherry on Leafs not saluting fans: ‘I couldn’t believe these guys would do something like this’ 14
- Report: Dan Hamhuis’ injury is significant, but not season-ending 5
- Been there, done that: Oilers lose five straight for second time this season 10
- Prout drops Lucic: ‘As far as I was concerned we were engaged in a fight’ 85
- Video: Prout drops Lucic with one punch 43
- NHL grants Kings cap relief for Voynov, who’s still suspended indefinitely 31
- Prout drops Lucic: ‘As far as I was concerned we were engaged in a fight’ (85)
- The Leafs didn’t salute their fans last night, so that’s a thing now (78)
- Jack Johnson filed for bankruptcy, parents allegedly took advantage of him (58)
- Wild put Harding on waivers (Updated) (52)
- After Voynov suspension, Lombardi wonders if teams need a ‘cushion’ in case a player is a ‘bank robber, kleptomaniac’ (51)