Feb 16, 2014, 8:55 AM EDT
Phil Kessel‘s outstanding Olympic tournament continued on Sunday, as he recorded a natural hat trick in what is shaping up to be a blowout victory over Slovenia.
It marks the first American hatty at the Winter Games since John Leclair turned the trick at Salt Lake in 2002. Leclair accomplished the feat during a tournament-opening 6-0 rout of Finland.
Kessel, who came into today’s game with four points through his first two contests, opened the scoring just 1:04 into the affair, converting a Joe Pavelski pass to give the Americans a 1-0 lead. Just over three minutes later Kessel was at it again, converting another Pavelski setup (with a secondary marker going to Brooks Orpik.)
The Maple Leafs forward finished the hatty midway though the second period after converting a pass from — who else? — Pavelski, which gave the U.S. a 3-0 lead. Ryan McDonagh scored with just under eight minutes remaining in the frame to give the Americans a four-goal lead heading into the second intermission.
- Oilers sign McDavid to entry-level contract 2
- ‘Hawks would like to re-sign Oduya, but still working through ‘financial hurdles’ 4
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick 73
- Voynov takes plea, gets 90 days in jail plus probation 59
- Curtains on Broadway: Martin St. Louis calls it a career 36
- Discuss: Where’s the best fit for Alex Semin? 23
- Caps landing ‘affordable’ Williams a sign of the new free agency 3
- Shots fired! ‘Canes owner Karmanos rips into Jim Rutherford (Updated) 58
- Here’s who’s left after Day 1 of free agency 30
- PHT’s 2015 free agent frenzy tracker 38
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Flames land Dougie Hamilton for package of picks (75)