Feb 16, 2014, 8:55 AM EST
Phil Kessel‘s outstanding Olympic tournament continued on Sunday, as he recorded a natural hat trick in what is shaping up to be a blowout victory over Slovenia.
It marks the first American hatty at the Winter Games since John Leclair turned the trick at Salt Lake in 2002. Leclair accomplished the feat during a tournament-opening 6-0 rout of Finland.
Kessel, who came into today’s game with four points through his first two contests, opened the scoring just 1:04 into the affair, converting a Joe Pavelski pass to give the Americans a 1-0 lead. Just over three minutes later Kessel was at it again, converting another Pavelski setup (with a secondary marker going to Brooks Orpik.)
The Maple Leafs forward finished the hatty midway though the second period after converting a pass from — who else? — Pavelski, which gave the U.S. a 3-0 lead. Ryan McDonagh scored with just under eight minutes remaining in the frame to give the Americans a four-goal lead heading into the second intermission.
- Garbutt suspended two games for ‘reckless’ knee-on-knee hit 1
- Report: Justin Schultz to be healthy scratch versus Preds 27
- PHT shares #WhyImThankful 8
- Roy: ‘They got away with things that we could not’ 18
- Video: Panthers’ Luongo leaves game due to injury (Updated) 0
- Video: Jets’ Lowry hits Sabres’ Kaleta from behind 6
- Video: Lightning pay tribute to St. Louis 6
- He’s baaaaack: Brodeur joins Blues on tryout basis 20
- Chelios calls ex-teammate Shanahan an inexperienced ‘politician’ 18
- Sharks players go to bat for McLellan: ‘Why would you get rid of him?’ 1
- Video: Milan Lucic calls Dalton Prout one-punch ‘gutless’ (101)
- Prout drops Lucic: ‘As far as I was concerned we were engaged in a fight’ (88)
- The Leafs didn’t salute their fans last night, so that’s a thing now (79)
- Bruins’ Lucic expected to play against Habs after getting one-punched (Updated) (47)
- Video: Prout drops Lucic with one punch (46)