Feb 16, 2014, 11:45 PM EDT
Michael Grabner has had no problem filling the net for Austria’s Olympic hockey team. However, the same can’t be said about the season he’s having back in the National Hockey League with the New York Islanders.
Grabner scored twice for Austria on Sunday, as that nation recorded a 3-1 victory over Norway for its first win of the competition in Sochi. That will go nicely with his hat trick in the Austria’s tournament-opening loss to Finland last week. Five goals totaled through three preliminary games. Not bad at all. Perspective: Austria, as a team, has only scored seven goals.
But back in the NHL, scoring has proven to be difficult this season for Grabner. The speedy 26-year-old forward has only nine goals and 20 points in 56 games this season with the Islanders. A 34-goal scorer in 2010-11, Grabner has seen his goal totals drop significantly every season since then.
Perhaps what he’s doing for Austria in Sochi can help propel him to better production with New York.
“I should have probably 20, but I didn’t score as many goals over there as I want yet,” Grabner said, as per the Associated Press. “It’s nice to get some here, and maybe get the confidence when I go back.”
- Bruins can’t hold Ducks off, suffer sixth loss in a row 12
- Ticket punched: Rangers become first team to clinch 2015 playoff berth 2
- Coyotes ‘win’ against Sabres in OT 20
- Marchand: If Bruins miss playoffs, ‘this is going to be a much different group next year’ 16
- Is Lecavalier offering to retire early to facilitate trade out of Philly? 26
- Hextall insists he’s ‘on the same page’ with Snider 15
- Krejci ‘probable’ to return versus Ducks 10
- Flyers announce Simmonds, MacDonald done for the season with injuries 18
- Video: Flyers crush Blackhawks, Voracek joins league lead in points 11
- Report: Draft Lottery to be held on Apr. 18 14
- Dreger: ‘In Kessel’s case, I firmly believe he’s going to be traded’ (73)
- Red Wings beat Blues in OT, but should winning goal count? (56)
- Tank-worthy? Connor McDavid finishes OHL season with 120 points in 47 games (56)
- Report: No fine or suspension for Tyler Toffoli’s hit on Alex Burrows (51)
- Dubnyk leads Wild past Isles in SO, earns 10th straight road win (44)