Feb 16, 2014, 11:45 PM EDT
Michael Grabner has had no problem filling the net for Austria’s Olympic hockey team. However, the same can’t be said about the season he’s having back in the National Hockey League with the New York Islanders.
Grabner scored twice for Austria on Sunday, as that nation recorded a 3-1 victory over Norway for its first win of the competition in Sochi. That will go nicely with his hat trick in the Austria’s tournament-opening loss to Finland last week. Five goals totaled through three preliminary games. Not bad at all. Perspective: Austria, as a team, has only scored seven goals.
But back in the NHL, scoring has proven to be difficult this season for Grabner. The speedy 26-year-old forward has only nine goals and 20 points in 56 games this season with the Islanders. A 34-goal scorer in 2010-11, Grabner has seen his goal totals drop significantly every season since then.
Perhaps what he’s doing for Austria in Sochi can help propel him to better production with New York.
“I should have probably 20, but I didn’t score as many goals over there as I want yet,” Grabner said, as per the Associated Press. “It’s nice to get some here, and maybe get the confidence when I go back.”
- Bulletin-board material: Why your team won’t win the Stanley Cup 7
- PHT staff picks: Who’s going to win the Stanley Cup? 15
- 2014 Stanley Cup Playoffs: PHT’s Round 1 picks 25
- Pressing Question: Can the Blackhawks avoid the Stanley Cup hangover? 9
- Florida wins ’14 NHL draft lottery, will pick first overall 39
- Philly mum on Mason’s availability for Game 1 vs. Rangers 26
- Pressing question: Can the Blues get back on track? 16
- That’s a raise: Flyers sign MacDonald to six-year, $30 million extension 91
- Sabres, Panthers have best odds for 2014 NHL draft lottery 16
- Leafs ‘lack an identity,’ says Leiweke 30
- That’s a raise: Flyers sign MacDonald to six-year, $30 million extension (91)
- Lightning’s Malone arrested for DUI, cocaine possession (73)
- Update: Daniel Sedin in stable condition, hospitalized after scary hit (58)
- Halak’s agent ‘bewildered’ by Oates’ remarks prior to Blues game (51)
- Here’s the schedule for the first round of the 2014 playoffs (51)