Feb 16, 2014, 5:28 AM EDT
SOCHI, Russia — Mike Babcock was hesitant to “steal” from one line that’s already working to make another work better, but it appears that’s what Team Canada’s head coach has done ahead of tonight’s game versus Finland.
At today’s pre-game skate, wingers Chris Kunitz and Martin St. Louis were off the first line with center Sidney Crosby, replaced by Jamie Benn and Patrice Bergeron, a pair of wingers that had previously drawn rave reviews from Babcock for their play with center John Tavares.
That Kunitz is off the first line is the most notable move, as it was the chemistry he’d shown with Crosby as linemates in Pittsburgh that — despite what Canada’s management group asserted — was a driving force for his inclusion on the roster.
“I think Kunitz did real good where he was,” said Babcock. “But to me this wasn’t about Kunitz, it was just about our overall team and just trying to find things that work.”
Babcock also noted he can always put the Benn-Tavares-Bergeron line back together.
“I’ve got those lines set up where the wingers can go back and forth seamlessly,” Babcock said. “Kunitz and Nash can go tonight with Crosby in a heartbeat. So we’ll see what happens.”
The expected lines tonight:
Related: Team Canada’s net is Price’s to lose
- Red-hot Quick sets new Kings’ franchise shutout record 1
- Reports: Chara could miss at least 4-6 weeks with knee injury 5
- Video: Red Wings’ stars stun Penguins with late surge 9
- Report: Isles’ Bailey out indefinitely after breaking hand 1
- Dale Hunter: Ovechkin isn’t going to win the Selke, but he’s ‘coachable’ 13
- Voynov case: D.A. wants ‘additional follow-up’ from police before deciding on charges 20
- Video: Two quick third-period goals propel Flyers over rival Penguins 82
- Video: Pittsburgh pays tribute to Ottawa tragedy with O Canada rendition 15
- Video: McKenzie talks latest from Ottawa shootings, Voynov investigation 0
- WATCH LIVE: Pittsburgh vs. Philly on Rivalry Night 3
- Source: Lucic fined $5k for gesture vs. Habs (Confirmed) (121)
- Video: Two quick third-period goals propel Flyers over rival Penguins (82)
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely (78)
- Babcock: ‘Price definitely initiates contact’ in disallowed Datsyuk goal (59)
- ‘It’s stupid': Tempers flare after Kesler’s late charge on Granlund (54)