Feb 16, 2014, 5:28 AM EST
SOCHI, Russia — Mike Babcock was hesitant to “steal” from one line that’s already working to make another work better, but it appears that’s what Team Canada’s head coach has done ahead of tonight’s game versus Finland.
At today’s pre-game skate, wingers Chris Kunitz and Martin St. Louis were off the first line with center Sidney Crosby, replaced by Jamie Benn and Patrice Bergeron, a pair of wingers that had previously drawn rave reviews from Babcock for their play with center John Tavares.
That Kunitz is off the first line is the most notable move, as it was the chemistry he’d shown with Crosby as linemates in Pittsburgh that — despite what Canada’s management group asserted — was a driving force for his inclusion on the roster.
“I think Kunitz did real good where he was,” said Babcock. “But to me this wasn’t about Kunitz, it was just about our overall team and just trying to find things that work.”
Babcock also noted he can always put the Benn-Tavares-Bergeron line back together.
“I’ve got those lines set up where the wingers can go back and forth seamlessly,” Babcock said. “Kunitz and Nash can go tonight with Crosby in a heartbeat. So we’ll see what happens.”
The expected lines tonight:
Related: Team Canada’s net is Price’s to lose
- Firing Dallas Eakins ‘would be so unfair,’ says Taylor Hall 6
- ‘It sucks for us, it sucks for the fans’: Oilers losing skid hits six games 3
- Video: Milan Lucic calls Dalton Prout one-punch ‘gutless’ 30
- ‘We did not want to disrespect our fans’: Leafs salute supporters after beating Red Wings 3
- Video: Demers sends Stoll flying with massive open-ice hit 7
- Don Cherry on Leafs not saluting fans: ‘I couldn’t believe these guys would do something like this’ 14
- Report: Dan Hamhuis’ injury is significant, but not season-ending 5
- Been there, done that: Oilers lose five straight for second time this season 10
- Prout drops Lucic: ‘As far as I was concerned we were engaged in a fight’ 86
- Video: Prout drops Lucic with one punch 43
- Prout drops Lucic: ‘As far as I was concerned we were engaged in a fight’ (86)
- The Leafs didn’t salute their fans last night, so that’s a thing now (78)
- Jack Johnson filed for bankruptcy, parents allegedly took advantage of him (58)
- Wild put Harding on waivers (Updated) (52)
- After Voynov suspension, Lombardi wonders if teams need a ‘cushion’ in case a player is a ‘bank robber, kleptomaniac’ (51)