Feb 16, 2014, 4:41 PM EDT
Canada finished round-robin play undefeated with two wins in regulation and a 2-1 overtime win against Finland on Sunday.
You’d think that would be enough to keep everyone satisfied with how the team is playing, but complaints still arise because the offense isn’t quite all there. Yes, the defense is scoring well, but with guys like Sidney Crosby out there, you expect more from the guys up front.
Coach Mike Babcock wonders what that is all about as he told reporters following the win against Finland.
Babcock says at these tournaments, "No one ever seems to be happy with us."—
Stephen Whyno (@SWhyno) February 16, 2014
With a team a loaded as Canada is, expectations are understandably high. They’re coming off a gold medal win in 2010 and have, arguably, the deepest offense in the Olympic tournament.
Now that the elimination rounds are coming up, everything is analyzed under an electron microscope to find what’s wrong and what could be better. Instead, Canada just keeps winning despite the seeming bumps in the road. If they have any hiccups in this part of the tournament, however, it could lead to serious disappointment.
- Peverley asked to return to game following ‘cardiac event’ 12
- NHL postpones Blue Jackets-Stars game following Peverley’s collapse 15
- Peverley hospitalized, conscious after collapsing on Stars bench (Update) 11
- Sens’ Ceci won’t return after Weber’s shot lacerates his ear (Update) 7
- Gillis pleads his case: ‘We are enduring a challenging period’ 21
- Nolan gets a game for punching ‘unsuspecting’ Joensuu 32
- It doesn’t sound like 3-on-3 overtime is going to be a thing 38
- Blues finish night on top of NHL standings after shootout win 15
- Kings’ Nolan gets double-minor for punching Oilers’ Joensuu 54
- Extended overtime likely to be on agenda in GMs’ March meeting 42
- Canucks trade Luongo to Panthers (93)
- BLOCKBUSTER: Lightning trade St. Louis to Rangers for Callahan (82)
- Kings make splash, acquire Gaborik from Columbus (72)
- Steve Moore remains shocked, disgusted about Todd Bertuzzi attack (70)
- Report: Flyers table ‘substantial offer’ for Kesler, also inquiring about Edler (59)