Feb 15, 2014, 2:19 PM EDT
Jonas Hiller and Switzerland did it again.
The Anaheim goalie notched his second straight shutout of the Olympics on Saturday, stopping all 24 shots faced in a 1-0 win over the Czech Republic at the Bolshoy Ice Dome. With the win, Switzerland clinched second place in Group C and emerged a dangerous opponent for the playoff round.
Hiller hasn’t surrendered a goal in 120 minutes of action and the Swiss have conceded just once in three games, during a 1-0 loss to Group C winners Sweden on Friday. We wrote about Switzerland’s stout defense/conservative approach prior to the tournament and the team has been exactly that, participating in three 1-0 games during the group phase (the Swiss beat Latvia on a goal with eight seconds left in the tourney opener).
Simon Bondemann scored in the first period for Switzerland, just the country’s second goal of the Games, with Kevin Romy and Denis Hollenstein registering assists. The only other Swiss skaters to register points this tournament are Nashville forward Simon Moser — who scored the game-winner against Latvia — and Flyers defenseman Mark Streit, who assisted on Moser’s tally.
As for the Czechs, today’s loss caps off a disappointing group phase in which they only registered one win, against Latvia, and saw an illness run through the team. Defenseman Radko Gudas drew in for the first time after missing the opening two games due to sickness, but veteran forward Patrik Elias missed the game because he fell ill.
Notes: Vancouver defenseman Raphael Diaz led all Swiss players with 23:29 TOI… Marek Zidlicky once again led the Czechs, with 27:19… Ondrej Pavelec played his second straight game for the Czechs and did well, stopping 25 of 26 shots.
- Panthers owners say they’re committed even though team has lost ‘tremendous amounts of money’ 1
- Update: Wild’s Harding out indefinitely with fractured foot 15
- Johansen heads home from Columbus as talks get even messier 14
- Kesler accuses Vancouver media of making up stories, ‘throwing people under the bus’ 18
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal 49
- Mike Yeo is pretty unhappy with Minnesota’s goalie situation 20
- Much to his relief, Lecavalier will start season at center 14
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands 61
- Advantage Kuemper? Harding on crutches after ankle injury 15
- Done deal, finally: Wings ink DeKeyser to two-year, $4.375M extension 11
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (61)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (56)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (49)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)