Feb 15, 2014, 2:19 PM EST
Jonas Hiller and Switzerland did it again.
The Anaheim goalie notched his second straight shutout of the Olympics on Saturday, stopping all 24 shots faced in a 1-0 win over the Czech Republic at the Bolshoy Ice Dome. With the win, Switzerland clinched second place in Group C and emerged a dangerous opponent for the playoff round.
Hiller hasn’t surrendered a goal in 120 minutes of action and the Swiss have conceded just once in three games, during a 1-0 loss to Group C winners Sweden on Friday. We wrote about Switzerland’s stout defense/conservative approach prior to the tournament and the team has been exactly that, participating in three 1-0 games during the group phase (the Swiss beat Latvia on a goal with eight seconds left in the tourney opener).
Simon Bondemann scored in the first period for Switzerland, just the country’s second goal of the Games, with Kevin Romy and Denis Hollenstein registering assists. The only other Swiss skaters to register points this tournament are Nashville forward Simon Moser — who scored the game-winner against Latvia — and Flyers defenseman Mark Streit, who assisted on Moser’s tally.
As for the Czechs, today’s loss caps off a disappointing group phase in which they only registered one win, against Latvia, and saw an illness run through the team. Defenseman Radko Gudas drew in for the first time after missing the opening two games due to sickness, but veteran forward Patrik Elias missed the game because he fell ill.
Notes: Vancouver defenseman Raphael Diaz led all Swiss players with 23:29 TOI… Marek Zidlicky once again led the Czechs, with 27:19… Ondrej Pavelec played his second straight game for the Czechs and did well, stopping 25 of 26 shots.
- PHT’s top 14 of ’14: Kings win Cup, Martinez the OT hero 0
- Welcome to PHT’s top 14 stories for 2014 0
- Scott suspended four games for punch that was ‘neither predictable, nor acceptable’ 23
- Sharks’ Scott has hearing for his punch to Jackman 29
- (Video) PHT Extra: Christmas wish lists from around the NHL 2
- PHT interviews Don Maloney, who knows he has a big trade chip in Vermette 7
- Backstrom to start for Wild, who need their goalies to be ‘better’ 13
- NHL on NBCSN: Avs challenge Blues after narrow losses to St. Louis 6
- Gaudreau’s first hat trick helps Flames stun Kings 7
- Fowler after Ducks’ win vs. Sharks: ‘We never give up’ 1
- Sabres aren’t happy with league’s decision regarding Bartkowski (73)
- Report: NHL won’t hold hearing for Bartkowski hit (55)
- Video: Who are the Bruins targeting in trade talks? (47)
- Video: Bartkowski delivers controversial hit to Gionta, fights Foligno (47)
- Could Malkin be the next player to be fined for diving? (43)