Feb 15, 2014, 11:28 AM EST
Russia features a talented forward group and very intimidating top power-play unit, one that needs to be effective to win games. So it’s particularly telling the U.S. fared better on the man advantage in Saturday’s 3-2 shootout victory.
Both of the American goals were scored on the power play and they had Russian forward Alexander Radulov to thank for both opportunities, something Russia head coach Zinetula Bilyaletdinov was particularly unhappy about.
Bilyaletdinov, speaking through a translator, singled out Radulov after the game and suggested that he should be scratched “among other things,” according to NHL.com writer Dan Rosen.
Radulov is no stranger to criticism. When he attempted to return to the Nashville Predators in 2012 after an extended stay in the KHL, he came under fire for breaking curfew during the playoffs.
Despite recording seven points in nine NHL games and another six points in eight postseason contests, Nashville didn’t want to re-sign him in the summer of 2012 and he ended up heading back to the KHL.
- Scott suspended four games for punch that was ‘neither predictable, nor acceptable’ 22
- Sharks’ Scott has hearing for his punch to Jackman 29
- (Video) PHT Extra: Christmas wish lists from around the NHL 2
- PHT interviews Don Maloney, who knows he has a big trade chip in Vermette 7
- Backstrom to start for Wild, who need their goalies to be ‘better’ 13
- NHL on NBCSN: Avs challenge Blues after narrow losses to St. Louis 6
- Gaudreau’s first hat trick helps Flames stun Kings 7
- Fowler after Ducks’ win vs. Sharks: ‘We never give up’ 1
- Daly: Fehr’s lockout prediction ‘naive and uneducated’ 23
- Pens send Downie, Sutter, Greiss home for mumps test (Updated) 13
- Sabres aren’t happy with league’s decision regarding Bartkowski (65)
- Report: NHL won’t hold hearing for Bartkowski hit (55)
- Video: Who are the Bruins targeting in trade talks? (47)
- Video: Bartkowski delivers controversial hit to Gionta, fights Foligno (47)
- Could Malkin be the next player to be fined for diving? (42)