Feb 15, 2014, 5:20 AM EDT
So much for Slovenia’s men’s hockey team just being happy to participate in its first Olympics.
The most stunning part – and most worrisome for Slovak hockey – is that this wasn’t really some miracle goaltending performance. Slovenia actually fired more shots on goal (31-28) in the game and Slovakia never held a lead, as they merely avoided being shut out with a 3-1 goal late in the third period.
Rok Ticar scored the first goal, Tomaz Razingar got the game-winner and Anze Kopitar iced it with a 3-0 tally. Slovenia scored those three goals in a dizzying span that lasted about six minutes of game time. It’s the kind of game that may haunt more than a few Slovak hockey players, including Jaroslav Halak, who allowed three goals on 31 shots.
Slovenia’s team already came in on a relatively positive note in “only” losing to Russia 5-2, but now the country has a win that could very well make a difference in helping to boost the sport in a fledgling area.
Slovakia, meanwhile, has some soul-searching to do. Between this loss and the drubbing they received from the U.S., Zdeno Chara‘s team has been dominated 10-2 in two defeats. While they will still get a chance to turn things around, this a disturbing start for a team some pegged to be a dark horse candidate.
For Slovenia, it’s a game many will never forget as they ready themselves for the U.S. tomorrow. Slovakia would like to do exactly the opposite – and fast – as they face Russia on Sunday.
Apr 17, 2014, 12:26 AM EDT
“It’s one that got by him.”
Apr 17, 2014, 12:03 AM EDT
The trio was big in Wednesday’s Game 1 victory over the Jackets.
Apr 16, 2014, 11:23 PM EDT
It’s bad enough to inspire Jon Cooper’s pity, though.
Apr 16, 2014, 10:59 PM EDT
“We aren’t here just to go to school. We’re here to win.”
Apr 16, 2014, 10:41 PM EDT
After all that star power in regulation …
Apr 16, 2014, 10:22 PM EDT
Pittsburgh scores three unanswered goals to win.
Apr 16, 2014, 10:14 PM EDT
The West’s No. 1 seed takes on the final wild card qualifier.
Apr 16, 2014, 9:22 PM EDT
Did the Penguins deserve a power play or penalty shot?
Apr 16, 2014, 8:50 PM EDT
Get used to these stories of toughness.
Apr 16, 2014, 8:11 PM EDT
Updated with bonus goals for your enjoyment.
Apr 16, 2014, 7:45 PM EDT
Tomas Plekanec spoils Tampa Bay’s lead.
Apr 16, 2014, 7:24 PM EDT
In case there was any doubt.
Apr 16, 2014, 6:46 PM EDT
Unproven goalie vs. a gold-medal goalie in Game 1.
Apr 16, 2014, 6:30 PM EDT
A battle between a scrappy underdog and a perplexing favorite.
Apr 16, 2014, 6:18 PM EDT
A little less grit against the Anaheim Ducks.
Apr 16, 2014, 5:16 PM EDT
Not Brandon Pirri.
Apr 16, 2014, 4:14 PM EDT
“He gives us the best chance to win, so he’ll be the one starting.”
Apr 16, 2014, 4:00 PM EDT
But both acknowledge they’ve heard the rumblings.
Apr 16, 2014, 3:05 PM EDT
22-26-7 with a .901 save percentage.
Apr 16, 2014, 2:17 PM EDT
Sacco, Forton, Numminen and Corsi are out.
- Weise gives Canadiens 1-0 series lead with overtime win 7
- Penguins outlast Blue Jackets, take Game 1 24
- Emery to start Game 1 versus Rangers 79
- Bulletin-board material: Why your team won’t win the Stanley Cup 36
- PHT staff picks: Who’s going to win the Stanley Cup? 57
- 2014 Stanley Cup Playoffs: PHT’s Round 1 picks 35
- Pressing Question: Can the Blackhawks avoid the Stanley Cup hangover? 10
- Florida wins ’14 NHL draft lottery, will pick first overall 42
- Philly mum on Mason’s availability for Game 1 vs. Rangers 26
- Pressing question: Can the Blues get back on track? 16
- That’s a raise: Flyers sign MacDonald to six-year, $30 million extension (91)
- Emery to start Game 1 versus Rangers (79)
- Lightning’s Malone arrested for DUI, cocaine possession (73)
- Update: Daniel Sedin in stable condition, hospitalized after scary hit (58)
- PHT staff picks: Who’s going to win the Stanley Cup? (57)