Feb 15, 2014, 5:20 AM EDT
So much for Slovenia’s men’s hockey team just being happy to participate in its first Olympics.
The most stunning part – and most worrisome for Slovak hockey – is that this wasn’t really some miracle goaltending performance. Slovenia actually fired more shots on goal (31-28) in the game and Slovakia never held a lead, as they merely avoided being shut out with a 3-1 goal late in the third period.
Rok Ticar scored the first goal, Tomaz Razingar got the game-winner and Anze Kopitar iced it with a 3-0 tally. Slovenia scored those three goals in a dizzying span that lasted about six minutes of game time. It’s the kind of game that may haunt more than a few Slovak hockey players, including Jaroslav Halak, who allowed three goals on 31 shots.
Slovenia’s team already came in on a relatively positive note in “only” losing to Russia 5-2, but now the country has a win that could very well make a difference in helping to boost the sport in a fledgling area.
Slovakia, meanwhile, has some soul-searching to do. Between this loss and the drubbing they received from the U.S., Zdeno Chara‘s team has been dominated 10-2 in two defeats. While they will still get a chance to turn things around, this a disturbing start for a team some pegged to be a dark horse candidate.
For Slovenia, it’s a game many will never forget as they ready themselves for the U.S. tomorrow. Slovakia would like to do exactly the opposite – and fast – as they face Russia on Sunday.
Oct 22, 2014, 2:15 AM EDT
“We’re not sharp mentally.”
Oct 22, 2014, 1:40 AM EDT
Wonder if the Devils fan behind him was a face-painter?
Oct 22, 2014, 1:11 AM EDT
Had the lead going into the third period.
Oct 22, 2014, 12:35 AM EDT
Do a little dance. Make some big saves. Shut out tonight.
Oct 21, 2014, 11:56 PM EDT
Toronto took this one over in the second period.
Oct 21, 2014, 11:28 PM EDT
Is a call from the league next?
Oct 21, 2014, 10:54 PM EDT
David Desharnais with his first of the season.
Oct 21, 2014, 10:17 PM EDT
No call on that play.
Oct 21, 2014, 9:50 PM EDT
It’s gone from bad to worse for Vancouver.
Oct 21, 2014, 9:40 PM EDT
Happened on an innocent enough play.
Oct 21, 2014, 9:29 PM EDT
Outplayed Philly big time in first period.
Oct 21, 2014, 9:07 PM EDT
Bet that felt good.
Oct 21, 2014, 8:27 PM EDT
Thought to be in against Chicago, but no.
Oct 21, 2014, 8:15 PM EDT
NHL Insider analyzes what the future has in store for the L.A. defenseman.
Oct 21, 2014, 7:07 PM EDT
Check it out via the NBC Live Extra stream.
Oct 21, 2014, 6:42 PM EDT
“Nathan is a frustrated kid right now. He’s in constant pain.”
Oct 21, 2014, 6:18 PM EDT
After watching the first five games of the season from the press box.
Oct 21, 2014, 5:25 PM EDT
‘Canes the only winless team in the league.
Oct 21, 2014, 4:30 PM EDT
For example, a really tough upcoming schedule. (But also goaltending and that defense.)
Oct 21, 2014, 3:43 PM EDT
“It’s adversity for us but we’re going to come through it,” says Jarrett Stoll.
- Video: Raanta shuts out flat Flyers in emergency start 0
- Video: Flyers’ Jones lays out Smith, called for charging 4
- Video: Islanders’ Hickey cut after taking a skate to the face 1
- (Video) McKenzie: NHLPA ‘entirely on board’ with Voynov suspension 8
- If allegations are true, will Kings welcome Voynov back into their ‘special’ group? 33
- Rutherford on Fleury: ‘As long as I’m the GM, he’ll be our goalie’ 15
- Datsyuk will play tonight in Montreal 4
- NHL on NBCSN: Flyers take on ‘Hawks in Chicago 9
- Jets’ Maurice apologizes for using the F-bomb at a reporter 30
- Video: Oilers win…? Oilers win! 3
- Source: Lucic fined $5k for gesture vs. Habs (Confirmed) (121)
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely (78)
- Video: Bruins’ Lucic gestures to Habs fans after late penalty (59)
- ‘It’s stupid': Tempers flare after Kesler’s late charge on Granlund (54)
- Lucic apologizes for obscene gesture: ‘I’m obviously not proud of what I did there’ (45)