Feb 15, 2014, 9:32 AM EDT
The Florida Panthers only sent two players to the Olympics and they might have lost both of them.
Finland’s Aleksander Barkov is out for the rest of the Olympics with a lower-body injury and Slovakia’s Tomas Kopecky sustained a possible head injury after absorbing a hard hit from Slovenian defenseman Sabahudin Kovacevic during Saturday’s game.
Kopecky was caught in a vulnerable position when Slovenia’s Ales Kranjc charged into him from behind as Kovacevic struck him in the head with his arm or elbow. The 32-year-old Panthers forward was knocked to the ice by the blow. He slowly got back on his feet only to nearly topple over again. While skating back to the bench, he collapsed to his hands and knees before getting back up and slowly completing the trek.
Kovacevic will have a hearing on Sunday as a result of his actions, according to Sportsnet’s John Shannon.
This is the sort of incident that NHL owners and general managers fear will happen when their players go to play in the Olympics. That being said, the Panthers are still waiting for a medical update, so the extent of Kopecky’s injury isn’t clear, reported TSN’s Bob McKenzie.
- Silfverberg scores winner with 21 seconds remaining, Ducks complete comeback over Jets 4
- Eichel understands Murray’s disappointment, but ‘extreme competitor’ has ‘a lot to offer’ 32
- So…what do the Oilers do now? 40
- Of course they did: Oilers win 2015 NHL Draft Lottery, will select first overall 157
- WATCH LIVE: Tonight’s Stanley Cup playoff action 7
- Tarasenko’s hat trick has the Wild singing the Blues 16
- Bishop records first career playoff win as Lightning even series with Red Wings 5
- Hartley fined $50,000 after brawl between Flames and Canucks 24
- Blackhawks’ Darling gets the nod for Game 3 29
- Watch Live: Bolts, Blues look to even up their respective series 0
- Of course they did: Oilers win 2015 NHL Draft Lottery, will select first overall (160)
- Stone suffered microfracture on Subban slash, Sens confirm (102)
- Report: Kings’ Stoll arrested for cocaine, MDMA possession (Updated) (99)
- Report: Players growing tired of Darryl Sutter (94)
- Bruins fire Chiarelli after missing playoffs (75)