Feb 15, 2014, 9:32 AM EDT
The Florida Panthers only sent two players to the Olympics and they might have lost both of them.
Finland’s Aleksander Barkov is out for the rest of the Olympics with a lower-body injury and Slovakia’s Tomas Kopecky sustained a possible head injury after absorbing a hard hit from Slovenian defenseman Sabahudin Kovacevic during Saturday’s game.
Kopecky was caught in a vulnerable position when Slovenia’s Ales Kranjc charged into him from behind as Kovacevic struck him in the head with his arm or elbow. The 32-year-old Panthers forward was knocked to the ice by the blow. He slowly got back on his feet only to nearly topple over again. While skating back to the bench, he collapsed to his hands and knees before getting back up and slowly completing the trek.
Kovacevic will have a hearing on Sunday as a result of his actions, according to Sportsnet’s John Shannon.
This is the sort of incident that NHL owners and general managers fear will happen when their players go to play in the Olympics. That being said, the Panthers are still waiting for a medical update, so the extent of Kopecky’s injury isn’t clear, reported TSN’s Bob McKenzie.
- What does Jack Eichel mean to the Buffalo Sabres? 19
- It’s Buffalo Sabres Day at PHT 30
- Bernier, Leafs agree on two-year, $8.3 million deal 26
- How do Voracek, Giroux compare to the most expensive duos? 62
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal 71
- Report: Canucks, Sutter closing in on five-year deal, north of $20M 28
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs 45
- Report: Bernier and Leafs more than $2 million apart ahead of Friday’s arbitration hearing 12
- Flyers re-sign Couturier: six years, $26 million 41
- Benning calls Sutter a ‘foundation piece’ for Canucks 24
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal (71)
- How do Voracek, Giroux compare to the most expensive duos? (62)
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening (54)
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs (45)
- Here’s a chart that shows which teams have been good/bad at drafting (44)