Feb 15, 2014, 9:27 PM EST
Switzerland’s men’s hockey team has benefited from the stellar play of goaltender Jonas Hiller, who has posted back-to-back shutouts in the tournament.
The media has harped on the tricky goaltending decisions other countries have had to face (Finland with Kari Lehtonen and Tuukka Rask; Canada with Roberto Luongo and Carey Price; and the U.S. with Jonathan Quick and Ryan Miller for example). Yet there seems to be no such controversy with the Swiss. Hiller’s play in two of the three games has probably muted that to some degree.
Switzerland hasn’t scored much in the preliminary round, just two goals in three games. The latest came Saturday, when Switzerland defeated the Czech Republic by a score of 1-0. They’ve been involved in shutouts in each of their three games (they’ve all been by scores of 1-0, too). Goaltending has been a big key to their success. The positive results have given Switzerland a different mentality on the international stage – they expect to win.
“Jonas is giving us a chance to win every game,” said Simon Bodenmann, as per the IIHF. “We’d be happy to score a couple more goals, but if we win like this, it doesn’t matter.”
- Video: Couture fined $5K for slew-footing Smith 22
- Time to start winning — Bruins’ next four games are against non-playoff teams 17
- Burgled: Sens’ Hammond shuts out Kings 14
- Wild get important win vs. Preds (and some luck, too) 41
- Trading baggage: Blue Jackets grab Clarkson, send Horton’s contract to Leafs 66
- Panthers acquire Jagr from Devils 29
- Trotz doesn’t see a ‘big, sexy, difference-maker guy’ on the market 17
- What’s up with the reports of problems in the Blackhawks’ room? 40
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight 82
- Lombardi happy to get ‘one of the better defenseman on the market’ in Sekera 3
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- ‘I don’t know why we’re so comfortable,’ says Toews after loss to Avalanche (69)
- Report: Alex Petrovic avoids discipline after injuring Patrick Kane (68)
- Trading baggage: Blue Jackets grab Clarkson, send Horton’s contract to Leafs (66)
- Lindros files $3M defamation lawsuit against ex-referee Stewart (Updated: Now $250K) (65)