Feb 14, 2014, 7:26 AM EDT
As a result, 25-year-old Patrik Berglund has taken Zetterberg’s place on the Swede’s top line with Gabriel Landeskog and Alexander Steen, according to CBC’s Elliotte Friedman. Berglund scored a goal and logged 12:14 minutes worth of ice time in Sweden’s 4-2 win over the Czech Republic in the nation’s Olympic opener.
Washington Capitals forward Marcus Johansson will also enter the lineup and play alongside Detroit Red Wings teammates Daniel Alfredsson and Gustav Nyquist. That line emphasizes the challenges Sweden has been forced to endure as both Nyquist and Johansson weren’t on the team’s original roster, but were added later as injury replacements.
As for Zetterberg’s role as captain, that will be filled by defenseman Niklas Kronwall.
After today’s contest, Sweden will wrap up its preliminary round schedule with a game against Latvia on Saturday.
- WATCH LIVE: Tonight’s Stanley Cup Playoff action 0
- Without Shea Weber, Predators can’t contain Hawks in Game 3 13
- Video: Tavares, Islanders take 2-1 series lead with OT win 19
- Watch Live: Predators at Blackhawks 0
- Watch Live: Capitals at Islanders 3
- Sens turn to Anderson for Game 3 5
- Silfverberg scores winner with 21 seconds remaining, Ducks complete comeback over Jets 13
- Eichel understands Murray’s disappointment, but ‘extreme competitor’ has ‘a lot to offer’ 87
- So…what do the Oilers do now? 70
- Of course they did: Oilers win 2015 NHL Draft Lottery, will select first overall 167
- Of course they did: Oilers win 2015 NHL Draft Lottery, will select first overall (167)
- Stone suffered microfracture on Subban slash, Sens confirm (102)
- Report: Kings’ Stoll arrested for cocaine, MDMA possession (Updated) (99)
- Eichel understands Murray’s disappointment, but ‘extreme competitor’ has ‘a lot to offer’ (87)
- Bruins fire Chiarelli after missing playoffs (75)