Feb 14, 2014, 7:26 AM EDT
As a result, 25-year-old Patrik Berglund has taken Zetterberg’s place on the Swede’s top line with Gabriel Landeskog and Alexander Steen, according to CBC’s Elliotte Friedman. Berglund scored a goal and logged 12:14 minutes worth of ice time in Sweden’s 4-2 win over the Czech Republic in the nation’s Olympic opener.
Washington Capitals forward Marcus Johansson will also enter the lineup and play alongside Detroit Red Wings teammates Daniel Alfredsson and Gustav Nyquist. That line emphasizes the challenges Sweden has been forced to endure as both Nyquist and Johansson weren’t on the team’s original roster, but were added later as injury replacements.
As for Zetterberg’s role as captain, that will be filled by defenseman Niklas Kronwall.
After today’s contest, Sweden will wrap up its preliminary round schedule with a game against Latvia on Saturday.
- Agent: Franson has spoken with ‘half a dozen’ teams (Updated) 7
- Your 2015 HHOF Class: Fedorov, Housley, Lidstrom, Pronger, Ruggiero 34
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder 97
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ 87
- Sens’ Chiasson headed for arbitration 1
- Pricey Platoon? Stars reportedly sign Niemi for three years, $13.5M 19
- Hodgson, Stalberg placed on unconditional waivers 24
- Buyouts loom as Richards, Parenteau and Fistric clear unconditional waivers 4
- UFA of the Day: Chris Stewart 18
- Penguins sign Ian Cole to a three-year, $6.3 million deal 11
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (97)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (87)
- Trade: Flames land Dougie Hamilton for package of picks (75)
- Trade: Busy Bruins send Lucic to Kings (66)
- Consensus reached: 5 minutes of 3-on-3 OT could be in place for 2015-16 (60)