Feb 14, 2014, 12:27 AM EST
The U.S. opened their schedule in the men’s ice hockey competition in Sochi with an impressive victory over Slovakia. While the positives to take out of that game were numerous, head coach Dan Bylsma highlighted the play of his team’s defenseman.
On the score sheet, the U.S. blue line accounted for only three points in what was a 7-1 thumping of Slovakia. But they also helped keep a talented Slovak team in check.
“Some of these guys have played in big games and been in big spotlights, but maybe none bigger than the one we were in [Thursday],” Bylsma said, as per NHL.com.
“I thought to get our feet underneath us, especially those young guys on defense, I thought they played large. We have Paul Martin and [Ryan] Suter back there, but Cam Fowler and John Carlson in particular, and Ryan McDonagh, played well on the back side.”
Carlson, a stand out on the blue line with the Washington Capitals in the National Hockey League, had a two-point night, including the first goal of the game.
“Looking at the back end of our team with a handful of guys playing their first games, it dawned on me that we are especially young on the back side,” Bylsma said. “I thought it was fitting that we scored the first goal from John Carlson there.”
- Video: Lindros and LeClair inducted into the Flyers Hall of Fame 4
- BREAKING: Voynov charged with felony for domestic violence 29
- NHL responds to concussion lawsuit, says players should have ‘put two and two together’ 36
- (Video) PHT Extra: Carlyle’s on the hot seat, Hartley’s riding high 0
- Hextall launched profanity-laced tirade against Flyers last night 31
- Jack Johnson filed for bankruptcy, parents allegedly took advantage of him 56
- NHL watching 3-on-3 OT in the AHL closely 12
- Sens’ Murray hopes to bring cancer awareness 5
- Pens’ Dupuis has blood clot in lung, out six months 25
- It’s not all Carlyle’s fault, but the Leafs’ coach is failing at his job 12
- Jack Johnson filed for bankruptcy, parents allegedly took advantage of him (56)
- Wild put Harding on waivers (Updated) (52)
- After Voynov suspension, Lombardi wonders if teams need a ‘cushion’ in case a player is a ‘bank robber, kleptomaniac’ (51)
- Video: Malkin runs over Girardi (Updated) (41)
- Bettman calls Panthers relocation speculation ‘unfounded’ (36)