Feb 14, 2014, 6:54 PM EDT
When it comes to Russian hockey, few people are respected more than former national team goalie Vladislav Tretiak.
So when Tretiak says who he’d like to see in the gold medal game, people are going to pay attention. As Neil Davidson at The Canadian Press shares, he’s got one marquee match-up he wants to see.
“I want Canada-Russia to play in Sochi final. It’s very important. I’m ready. I don’t know, is Canada ready?” the former star goalie, speaking in English, said with a laugh.
Tretiak has already been a star at the Sochi Olympics as he helped light the Olympic cauldron during the Opening Ceremony. In his career as a goalie, he won three gold medals for the Soviet Union in 1972, 1976, and 1984 and a silver in 1980. You might’ve heard a thing or two about what happened in the ’80 Games.
The last time Russia and Canada faced off for gold was 1992 when six republics of the former Soviet Union were known as the Unified Team. A meeting between the two countries this time around would have a revenge aspect to it for Russia after they were humiliated out of the 2010 Vancouver Olympics by Canada 7-3.
- Jonathan Toews talks about the Patrick Kane situation 12
- Voynov detained by U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement 13
- Ex-‘Hawks goalie Raanta tees off on former club 31
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls 119
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? 82
- Hall of Famer Al Arbour passes away 22
- Poll: Who will be San Jose’s next captain? 24
- Mike Richards charged with possession of controlled substance 95
- Gio won’t go: Flames extend Giordano for six years, $40.5M 13
- Pens’ plan for now: Crosby starts as Kessel’s center 25
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls (119)
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? (82)
- Report: Hawks’ Kane has not been asked to waive his no-move clause (47)
- Lucic jokes about running through Rask ‘like I did (to) another goalie’ (42)
- It’s Chicago Blackhawks day at PHT (41)