Feb 14, 2014, 6:54 PM EDT
When it comes to Russian hockey, few people are respected more than former national team goalie Vladislav Tretiak.
So when Tretiak says who he’d like to see in the gold medal game, people are going to pay attention. As Neil Davidson at The Canadian Press shares, he’s got one marquee match-up he wants to see.
“I want Canada-Russia to play in Sochi final. It’s very important. I’m ready. I don’t know, is Canada ready?” the former star goalie, speaking in English, said with a laugh.
Tretiak has already been a star at the Sochi Olympics as he helped light the Olympic cauldron during the Opening Ceremony. In his career as a goalie, he won three gold medals for the Soviet Union in 1972, 1976, and 1984 and a silver in 1980. You might’ve heard a thing or two about what happened in the ’80 Games.
The last time Russia and Canada faced off for gold was 1992 when six republics of the former Soviet Union were known as the Unified Team. A meeting between the two countries this time around would have a revenge aspect to it for Russia after they were humiliated out of the 2010 Vancouver Olympics by Canada 7-3.
- It’s Buffalo Sabres Day at PHT 16
- Bernier, Leafs agree on two-year, $8.3 million deal 24
- How do Voracek, Giroux compare to the most expensive duos? 58
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal 71
- Report: Canucks, Sutter closing in on five-year deal, north of $20M 28
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs 45
- Report: Bernier and Leafs more than $2 million apart ahead of Friday’s arbitration hearing 12
- Flyers re-sign Couturier: six years, $26 million 41
- Benning calls Sutter a ‘foundation piece’ for Canucks 24
- Here’s a chart that shows which teams have been good/bad at drafting 44
- Bettman says NHL would have to ‘consider’ putting Quebec City in the Western Conference (71)
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal (71)
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million (62)
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 (58)
- How do Voracek, Giroux compare to the most expensive duos? (58)