Feb 14, 2014, 6:54 PM EDT
When it comes to Russian hockey, few people are respected more than former national team goalie Vladislav Tretiak.
So when Tretiak says who he’d like to see in the gold medal game, people are going to pay attention. As Neil Davidson at The Canadian Press shares, he’s got one marquee match-up he wants to see.
“I want Canada-Russia to play in Sochi final. It’s very important. I’m ready. I don’t know, is Canada ready?” the former star goalie, speaking in English, said with a laugh.
Tretiak has already been a star at the Sochi Olympics as he helped light the Olympic cauldron during the Opening Ceremony. In his career as a goalie, he won three gold medals for the Soviet Union in 1972, 1976, and 1984 and a silver in 1980. You might’ve heard a thing or two about what happened in the ’80 Games.
The last time Russia and Canada faced off for gold was 1992 when six republics of the former Soviet Union were known as the Unified Team. A meeting between the two countries this time around would have a revenge aspect to it for Russia after they were humiliated out of the 2010 Vancouver Olympics by Canada 7-3.
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers 23
- Update: Drouin out with upper body injury, not expected to miss preseason 1
- Report: NHL officials to participate in preseason without new CBA 1
- Evander Kane: I know I can score 50 goals 13
- ‘C’-less Thornton comes out swing against Wilson’s ‘tomorrow team’ talk 18
- Joe Sakic’s now general manager in name too 6
- Update: Giroux out two weeks with lower-body injury 26
- Update: Crosby on ice with Penguins teammates Friday, leaves early 5
- Ouch: Wild reportedly suspend Harding for ‘non-hockey injury’ 28
- Keeping Kuemper: Wild sign goalie to two-year deal reportedly worth $2.5M 15
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (65)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (56)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)