Feb 14, 2014, 9:18 AM EST
One of the biggest fears of any NHL owner or general manager when it comes to the Olympics is that one of their star players might suffer a significant injury while representing his country.
Detroit got some bad news when Henrik Zetterberg was ruled out for the remainder of the 2014 Winter Games and beyond due to a herniated disk.
This isn’t a new injury for Zetterberg, who missed 11 games in December for the same reason, and according to Sweden team doctor Bjorn Waldeback, this problem didn’t reoccur due to any specific contact the Red Wings star sustained during Wednesday’s game against the Czech Republic, reports NHL.com.
That being said, the decision to shutdown Zetterberg was an easy one.
“This was no borderline case,” Waldeback said. “For people who know medicine it is obvious that this couldn’t continue.”
The next step will be for the 33-year-old forward to head back to Detroit for further evaluation. That should happen within the next few days.
- Video: Zidlicky’s first goal with Detroit gives Red Wings OT win over Rangers 23
- Video: P.K. Subban illustrates hockey instincts through GoPro camera perspective 1
- Video: Lundqvist could be back in 10 to 14 days 5
- Isles’ Martin suspended one game for ‘reckless’ knee on Daley 11
- More bad luck for the B’s — Connolly out 6 weeks with fractured finger 21
- Fehr willing to give Panthers ‘a reasonable opportunity’ to redevelop market 49
- Video: Isles’ Martin to face hearing for ‘stupid’ knee-on-knee hit 39
- NHL on NBCSN: Reloaded Red Wings, Rangers set to battle tonight 51
- Bernier bests Panthers as Luongo goes from injured (and in street clothes) to back in net 4
- Phaneuf, Cuthbert and Lupul threaten lawsuit after tweet goes to air 59
- Wild beat Avs, dying seconds fight set stage for rematch (171)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Winners and losers of the 2015 trade deadline (78)
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder (74)
- Wings get Zidlicky from Devils (74)