Feb 14, 2014, 8:40 PM EDT
When Hockey Canada showed off their Olympic jerseys, their black alternate jersey was met with mockery and criticism by fans on Twitter and elsewhere. Team Canada opted to wear them against Austria and rolled to a 6-0 win in them.
While the win was good news for Canada fans, the bad news is the players love the black jerseys as Neil Davidson of The Canadian Press shares.
“Yeah, I don’t remember wearing black too often but they’re nice,” Sidney Crosby said. “I didn’t really expect to wear black today when we came into the room. It’s a nice jersey.”
If you’re a traditionalist that wants Canada to just wear red as the home team, you might be out of luck. If the team dons them again and rolls to victory, with how superstitious players can be, we may not see their red jerseys again.
Canada will be the “road” team against Finland on Sunday which could mean they’ll be stuck in white.
- Once again, Carlyle’s Leafs are searching for answers 3
- Video: Sens, Leafs, Habs combine for beautiful tribute following Ottawa shootings 4
- Sleepy Sharks hit new low in loss to Buffalo 11
- Goalie nods: Gustavsson gets his second start 0
- Price downplays start as Canadiens host Rangers 8
- Sens, Habs and Leafs pay tribute to fallen soldier 3
- More like it? Avs crush Canucks 34
- Video: Beauties from Perry, Eberle and Duchene 4
- Ghost Time: Flyers recall Gostisbehere from AHL 28
- Trotz calls Healy’s comments on Ovechkin (and Ovechkin’s mom) ‘disrespectful’ 26
- Video: Two quick third-period goals propel Flyers over rival Penguins (83)
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely (78)
- Babcock: ‘Price definitely initiates contact’ in disallowed Datsyuk goal (59)
- If allegations are true, will Kings welcome Voynov back into their ‘special’ group? (37)
- Voynov released on $50K bond; NHL says ‘circumstances were different’ in Varlamov case (36)