Feb 14, 2014, 8:40 PM EDT
When Hockey Canada showed off their Olympic jerseys, their black alternate jersey was met with mockery and criticism by fans on Twitter and elsewhere. Team Canada opted to wear them against Austria and rolled to a 6-0 win in them.
While the win was good news for Canada fans, the bad news is the players love the black jerseys as Neil Davidson of The Canadian Press shares.
“Yeah, I don’t remember wearing black too often but they’re nice,” Sidney Crosby said. “I didn’t really expect to wear black today when we came into the room. It’s a nice jersey.”
If you’re a traditionalist that wants Canada to just wear red as the home team, you might be out of luck. If the team dons them again and rolls to victory, with how superstitious players can be, we may not see their red jerseys again.
Canada will be the “road” team against Finland on Sunday which could mean they’ll be stuck in white.
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls 82
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? 75
- Hall of Famer Al Arbour passes away 22
- Poll: Who will be San Jose’s next captain? 24
- Mike Richards charged with possession of controlled substance 95
- Gio won’t go: Flames extend Giordano for six years, $40.5M 13
- Pens’ plan for now: Crosby starts as Kessel’s center 25
- O, Dear: Russia fined $85K for skipping Canadian anthem 31
- Kings ink Ehrhoff to a one-year, $1.5 million deal 27
- Quebec City, Vegas advance to final phase of NHL expansion process 50
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls (97)
- Mike Richards charged with possession of controlled substance (95)
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? (77)
- Lucic jokes about running through Rask ‘like I did (to) another goalie’ (40)
- Poll: Will Kessel score 40? (38)