Feb 14, 2014, 8:40 PM EDT
When Hockey Canada showed off their Olympic jerseys, their black alternate jersey was met with mockery and criticism by fans on Twitter and elsewhere. Team Canada opted to wear them against Austria and rolled to a 6-0 win in them.
While the win was good news for Canada fans, the bad news is the players love the black jerseys as Neil Davidson of The Canadian Press shares.
“Yeah, I don’t remember wearing black too often but they’re nice,” Sidney Crosby said. “I didn’t really expect to wear black today when we came into the room. It’s a nice jersey.”
If you’re a traditionalist that wants Canada to just wear red as the home team, you might be out of luck. If the team dons them again and rolls to victory, with how superstitious players can be, we may not see their red jerseys again.
Canada will be the “road” team against Finland on Sunday which could mean they’ll be stuck in white.
- Cashing in: Rangers sign Brassard to five-year, $25 million deal 43
- Subban not eager to discuss contract talks 33
- Leafs re-sign Reimer — two years, $4.6 million 21
- Gorges still can’t explain falling out of favor in Montreal 13
- Eller, Habs agree to four-year, $14 million contract 10
- Cory Sarich hospitalized following cycling accident, expects ‘full recovery’ 7
- Stamkos shrugs off talk of LeBron-like homecoming to Toronto in 2016 31
- Avs and O’Reilly agree on two-year deal, but questions remain 45
- Rangers and Kreider avoid arbitration, agree on two-year deal 39
- Zuccarello takes Rangers’ one year, $3.5M deal 42
- NBC Sports to air over 100 NHL regular-season games in 2014-15 (69)
- Vanek connected to federal gambling investigation (61)
- Report: O’Reilly wants $6.7M deal, Avs counter at $5.5M (58)
- Return that toaster: Ovechkin-Kirilenko engagement broken off (54)
- Avs and O’Reilly agree on two-year deal, but questions remain (45)