Feb 14, 2014, 8:40 PM EDT
When Hockey Canada showed off their Olympic jerseys, their black alternate jersey was met with mockery and criticism by fans on Twitter and elsewhere. Team Canada opted to wear them against Austria and rolled to a 6-0 win in them.
While the win was good news for Canada fans, the bad news is the players love the black jerseys as Neil Davidson of The Canadian Press shares.
“Yeah, I don’t remember wearing black too often but they’re nice,” Sidney Crosby said. “I didn’t really expect to wear black today when we came into the room. It’s a nice jersey.”
If you’re a traditionalist that wants Canada to just wear red as the home team, you might be out of luck. If the team dons them again and rolls to victory, with how superstitious players can be, we may not see their red jerseys again.
Canada will be the “road” team against Finland on Sunday which could mean they’ll be stuck in white.
- WATCH LIVE: Tonight’s Stanley Cup Playoff action 2
- Price, Dubnyk, Rinne are Vezina Trophy finalists 9
- Chicago to start Darling in Game 6 17
- Chiarelli named Oilers’ GM and president of hockey ops 30
- Weber out for remainder of series, but ‘did not suffer an ACL injury’ 6
- Report: Oilers’ Lowe removed from Hockey Ops role 19
- Stayin’ Alive: Canucks stage comeback of their own, send series back to Calgary 5
- Preds, Forsberg finally solve Darling, push series to Game 6 76
- WATCH LIVE: Tonight’s Stanley Cup Playoff action 3
- Report: Chiarelli to join Oilers’ front office 31
- Of course they did: Oilers win 2015 NHL Draft Lottery, will select first overall (174)
- Too little, too late: Rangers stifle Penguins for 2-1 series lead (114)
- Eichel understands Murray’s disappointment, but ‘extreme competitor’ has ‘a lot to offer’ (98)
- Bettman under fire after saying ‘Katy Perry’ chant wasn’t sexist (88)
- Okposo blasts ‘idiot’ Wilson after physical outing versus Isles (82)