Feb 14, 2014, 9:43 AM EDT
The Swedes don’t have Johan Franzen, they’re missing Henrik Sedin and now Henrik Zetterberg is gone. But they still have goaltender Henrik Lundqvist — and today, that was enough in Sweden’s 1-0 victory over Switzerland.
The New York Rangers netminder turned aside 26 shots to pickup his first shutout and second win of the tournament, holding off a determined Swiss side looking for its second win of the tourney.
Battered by injuries, it took Sweden a while to get into this game and Lundqvist was all that was standing between them and an early deficit that would have been a huge hurdle to overcome against the defensively minded Swiss squad. Over time Sweden managed to shift the momentum until they finally caught a break when Swiss goalie Reto Berra surrendered a weak goal to Daniel Alfredsson.
That was the lone blemish during what was otherwise a solid 30-save performance by Berra, who was a surprise choice for the Swiss after Jonas Hiller led them to a 1-0 shutout victory over Latvia in the Olympic opener.
This win sets the Swedes up for their game against Latvia on Saturday. If they beat Latvia as expected, then Sweden will have swept its preliminary round group and advanced directly to the Quarterfinals. Switzerland takes on the Czech Republic next.
- Injuries piling up as preseason schedule begins 11
- Report: Fedorov denies contract offer was made to Johansen 7
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers 36
- Update: Drouin out with upper body injury, not expected to miss preseason 1
- Report: NHL officials to participate in preseason without new CBA 1
- Evander Kane: I know I can score 50 goals 14
- ‘C’-less Thornton comes out swing against Wilson’s ‘tomorrow team’ talk 18
- Joe Sakic’s now general manager in name too 6
- Update: Giroux out two weeks with lower-body injury 26
- Update: Crosby on ice with Penguins teammates Friday, leaves early 5
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (65)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)
- Just how damaging are heated negotiations between Jackets, RFA Johansen? (38)