Feb 14, 2014, 9:43 AM EDT
The Swedes don’t have Johan Franzen, they’re missing Henrik Sedin and now Henrik Zetterberg is gone. But they still have goaltender Henrik Lundqvist — and today, that was enough in Sweden’s 1-0 victory over Switzerland.
The New York Rangers netminder turned aside 26 shots to pickup his first shutout and second win of the tournament, holding off a determined Swiss side looking for its second win of the tourney.
Battered by injuries, it took Sweden a while to get into this game and Lundqvist was all that was standing between them and an early deficit that would have been a huge hurdle to overcome against the defensively minded Swiss squad. Over time Sweden managed to shift the momentum until they finally caught a break when Swiss goalie Reto Berra surrendered a weak goal to Daniel Alfredsson.
That was the lone blemish during what was otherwise a solid 30-save performance by Berra, who was a surprise choice for the Swiss after Jonas Hiller led them to a 1-0 shutout victory over Latvia in the Olympic opener.
This win sets the Swedes up for their game against Latvia on Saturday. If they beat Latvia as expected, then Sweden will have swept its preliminary round group and advanced directly to the Quarterfinals. Switzerland takes on the Czech Republic next.
- What does Jack Eichel mean to the Buffalo Sabres? 19
- It’s Buffalo Sabres Day at PHT 30
- Bernier, Leafs agree on two-year, $8.3 million deal 26
- How do Voracek, Giroux compare to the most expensive duos? 62
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal 71
- Report: Canucks, Sutter closing in on five-year deal, north of $20M 28
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs 45
- Report: Bernier and Leafs more than $2 million apart ahead of Friday’s arbitration hearing 12
- Flyers re-sign Couturier: six years, $26 million 41
- Benning calls Sutter a ‘foundation piece’ for Canucks 24
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal (71)
- How do Voracek, Giroux compare to the most expensive duos? (62)
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening (54)
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs (45)
- Here’s a chart that shows which teams have been good/bad at drafting (44)