Feb 14, 2014, 9:43 AM EST
The Swedes don’t have Johan Franzen, they’re missing Henrik Sedin and now Henrik Zetterberg is gone. But they still have goaltender Henrik Lundqvist — and today, that was enough in Sweden’s 1-0 victory over Switzerland.
The New York Rangers netminder turned aside 26 shots to pickup his first shutout and second win of the tournament, holding off a determined Swiss side looking for its second win of the tourney.
Battered by injuries, it took Sweden a while to get into this game and Lundqvist was all that was standing between them and an early deficit that would have been a huge hurdle to overcome against the defensively minded Swiss squad. Over time Sweden managed to shift the momentum until they finally caught a break when Swiss goalie Reto Berra surrendered a weak goal to Daniel Alfredsson.
That was the lone blemish during what was otherwise a solid 30-save performance by Berra, who was a surprise choice for the Swiss after Jonas Hiller led them to a 1-0 shutout victory over Latvia in the Olympic opener.
This win sets the Swedes up for their game against Latvia on Saturday. If they beat Latvia as expected, then Sweden will have swept its preliminary round group and advanced directly to the Quarterfinals. Switzerland takes on the Czech Republic next.
- Video: Team Foligno survives shootout, wins Skills Competition 2
- Video: Weber wins hardest shot with 108.5 mph blast 9
- Video: Lightning’s Drouin wins fastest skater 7
- WATCH LIVE: NHL All-Star Skills Competition 2
- Will the Youngstars even have a chance? (Updated) 12
- Unique World Cup format allows ‘more of the very best players’ to participate 10
- NHL unveils 2016 Winter Classic, Stadium Series games 17
- Players have fun, show off personalities in water-fueled All-Star Fantasy Draft 9
- Video: ‘Coachable’ Kessel goes from last pick to 2nd overall 5
- Video: Team Foligno takes Ryan Johansen first overall in All-Star Fantasy Draft 1
- Columnist: Flyers ‘orchestrated’ fight night versus Pens during meal at ‘a local steakhouse’ (130)
- Flyers’ Rinaldo: ‘I changed the whole game, man’ (112)
- Video: Rinaldo tossed for boarding Letang (79)
- Metro sensational: Rangers continue dominance of division, Pens (61)
- Report: Flyers’ Rinaldo waives right to an in-person hearing (61)