Feb 14, 2014, 5:29 AM EDT
After a rocky start to the 2014 Olympics in a loss to Sweden, the Czech Republic bounced back with a 4-2 win against Latvia on Friday.
The Czech Republic out-scored Latvia 2-1 in both the first and second periods before coasting to a 4-2 win following a scoreless final frame. They generated a 39-20 shot differential in almost uniformly doubling Latvia’s output in each period.
Generally speaking, the Czech Republic can be heartened by some solid work from expected go-to players. Ondrej Pavelec made his debut after surprisingly sitting out the starting game against Sweden. He stopped 18 out of 20 shots in getting the win. Marek Zidlicky was actually the leading scorer for the Czech Republic, scoring a goal and an assist. Fellow NHL players Jakub Voracek and Martin Erat also contributed a goal apiece.
Janis Sprukts and Herberts Vasiljevs scored Latvia’s two goals, with Sprukts scoring Latvia’s first tally of the Olympics after they were shut out by Switzerland in their tournament opener.
Both teams face quick turnarounds for their next games. The Czech Republic faces Switzerland and Latvia takes on Sweden on Saturday. Each of those opponents also plays today, however, so it shouldn’t be seen as a disadvantage.
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 40
- Locked in: Columbus signs Saad to six-year, $36M deal 17
- Oilers sign McDavid to entry-level contract 17
- ‘Hawks would like to re-sign Oduya, but still working through ‘financial hurdles’ 13
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick 73
- Voynov takes plea, gets 90 days in jail plus probation 60
- Curtains on Broadway: Martin St. Louis calls it a career 36
- Discuss: Where’s the best fit for Alex Semin? 23
- Caps landing ‘affordable’ Williams a sign of the new free agency 4
- Shots fired! ‘Canes owner Karmanos rips into Jim Rutherford (Updated) 59
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Flames land Dougie Hamilton for package of picks (75)