Feb 14, 2014, 5:29 AM EDT
After a rocky start to the 2014 Olympics in a loss to Sweden, the Czech Republic bounced back with a 4-2 win against Latvia on Friday.
The Czech Republic out-scored Latvia 2-1 in both the first and second periods before coasting to a 4-2 win following a scoreless final frame. They generated a 39-20 shot differential in almost uniformly doubling Latvia’s output in each period.
Generally speaking, the Czech Republic can be heartened by some solid work from expected go-to players. Ondrej Pavelec made his debut after surprisingly sitting out the starting game against Sweden. He stopped 18 out of 20 shots in getting the win. Marek Zidlicky was actually the leading scorer for the Czech Republic, scoring a goal and an assist. Fellow NHL players Jakub Voracek and Martin Erat also contributed a goal apiece.
Janis Sprukts and Herberts Vasiljevs scored Latvia’s two goals, with Sprukts scoring Latvia’s first tally of the Olympics after they were shut out by Switzerland in their tournament opener.
Both teams face quick turnarounds for their next games. The Czech Republic faces Switzerland and Latvia takes on Sweden on Saturday. Each of those opponents also plays today, however, so it shouldn’t be seen as a disadvantage.
- Emery to start Game 1 versus Rangers 36
- Bulletin-board material: Why your team won’t win the Stanley Cup 24
- PHT staff picks: Who’s going to win the Stanley Cup? 34
- 2014 Stanley Cup Playoffs: PHT’s Round 1 picks 29
- Pressing Question: Can the Blackhawks avoid the Stanley Cup hangover? 9
- Florida wins ’14 NHL draft lottery, will pick first overall 39
- Philly mum on Mason’s availability for Game 1 vs. Rangers 26
- Pressing question: Can the Blues get back on track? 16
- That’s a raise: Flyers sign MacDonald to six-year, $30 million extension 91
- Sabres, Panthers have best odds for 2014 NHL draft lottery 16
- That’s a raise: Flyers sign MacDonald to six-year, $30 million extension (91)
- Lightning’s Malone arrested for DUI, cocaine possession (73)
- Update: Daniel Sedin in stable condition, hospitalized after scary hit (58)
- Halak’s agent ‘bewildered’ by Oates’ remarks prior to Blues game (51)
- Here’s the schedule for the first round of the 2014 playoffs (51)