Feb 14, 2014, 7:14 AM EDT
We’re two games into the Czech Republic’s schedule and Jaromir Jagr has found the back of the net in both contests. Will he go on to score in every Olympic match?
Jagr doesn’t mind joking around with the press, but the thing is, it’s certainly plausible that scenario will play out. Which is particularly remarkable when you remember that he’ll be turning 42 tomorrow.
“I don’t get old, man,” Jagr said, per the Olympic News Service. “I don’t know why.”
His work ethic and tremendous skill sometimes create that illusion. Of course, his attitude helps too. While we’ve seen losses get to him, even on a stage this big, he doesn’t sound like a guy that’s carrying a tremendous weight on his shoulders.
“We are from the Czech Republic, we are always loose man,” Jagr said. “No pressure.”
That being said, Jagr does realize that they got their work cut out for them. After losing to Sweden and beating Latvia, the Czech Republic will battle Switzerland on Saturday for positioning ahead of the single elimination portion of the tournament.
Although Switzerland hasn’t historically been much of a threat in the hockey world, it has to be taken seriously. This is a nation trying to prove it’s on the upswing after surprising people with a silver medal finish in the 2013 World Championship.
“They’re a pretty good team – a very good team,” Jagr acknowledged.
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins 58
- PHT’s 2015 free agent frenzy tracker 26
- Oilers get Sekera for six years, closing in on Letestu 6
- Avalanche sign veteran d-man Beauchemin for three years 5
- Neely was ‘surprised’ that Hamilton didn’t want to sign with Bruins 12
- NHL, Coyotes deny report that team is moving to Vegas 32
- Report: Richards’ border incident involved oxycodone 63
- Trade: Bieksa headed to California — but it’s Anaheim, not San Jose 25
- Trade: Jackets land Saad, Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago 91
- Hamilton signs six-year deal with Flames 19
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad, Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (91)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Flames land Dougie Hamilton for package of picks (75)
- Trade: Busy Bruins send Lucic to Kings (66)