Feb 14, 2014, 7:14 AM EDT
We’re two games into the Czech Republic’s schedule and Jaromir Jagr has found the back of the net in both contests. Will he go on to score in every Olympic match?
Jagr doesn’t mind joking around with the press, but the thing is, it’s certainly plausible that scenario will play out. Which is particularly remarkable when you remember that he’ll be turning 42 tomorrow.
“I don’t get old, man,” Jagr said, per the Olympic News Service. “I don’t know why.”
His work ethic and tremendous skill sometimes create that illusion. Of course, his attitude helps too. While we’ve seen losses get to him, even on a stage this big, he doesn’t sound like a guy that’s carrying a tremendous weight on his shoulders.
“We are from the Czech Republic, we are always loose man,” Jagr said. “No pressure.”
That being said, Jagr does realize that they got their work cut out for them. After losing to Sweden and beating Latvia, the Czech Republic will battle Switzerland on Saturday for positioning ahead of the single elimination portion of the tournament.
Although Switzerland hasn’t historically been much of a threat in the hockey world, it has to be taken seriously. This is a nation trying to prove it’s on the upswing after surprising people with a silver medal finish in the 2013 World Championship.
“They’re a pretty good team – a very good team,” Jagr acknowledged.
- Wild’s Dubnyk shakes off six-goal night, saves 36 as Blues pushed to brink 14
- WATCH LIVE: Tonight’s Stanley Cup Playoff action 4
- Malkin: ‘I want to say sorry to fans, to my teammates’ 23
- It’s Done: Rangers eliminate Penguins in overtime 94
- Sens’ Anderson continues to haunt Habs, forces Game 6 10
- Price, Dubnyk, Rinne are Vezina Trophy finalists 16
- Chicago to start Darling in Game 6 18
- Chiarelli named Oilers’ GM and president of hockey ops 35
- Weber out for remainder of series, but ‘did not suffer an ACL injury’ 6
- Report: Oilers’ Lowe removed from Hockey Ops role 19
- Of course they did: Oilers win 2015 NHL Draft Lottery, will select first overall (174)
- Too little, too late: Rangers stifle Penguins for 2-1 series lead (114)
- Eichel understands Murray’s disappointment, but ‘extreme competitor’ has ‘a lot to offer’ (98)
- It’s Done: Rangers eliminate Penguins in overtime (94)
- Bettman under fire after saying ‘Katy Perry’ chant wasn’t sexist (89)