Feb 14, 2014, 7:14 AM EST
We’re two games into the Czech Republic’s schedule and Jaromir Jagr has found the back of the net in both contests. Will he go on to score in every Olympic match?
Jagr doesn’t mind joking around with the press, but the thing is, it’s certainly plausible that scenario will play out. Which is particularly remarkable when you remember that he’ll be turning 42 tomorrow.
“I don’t get old, man,” Jagr said, per the Olympic News Service. “I don’t know why.”
His work ethic and tremendous skill sometimes create that illusion. Of course, his attitude helps too. While we’ve seen losses get to him, even on a stage this big, he doesn’t sound like a guy that’s carrying a tremendous weight on his shoulders.
“We are from the Czech Republic, we are always loose man,” Jagr said. “No pressure.”
That being said, Jagr does realize that they got their work cut out for them. After losing to Sweden and beating Latvia, the Czech Republic will battle Switzerland on Saturday for positioning ahead of the single elimination portion of the tournament.
Although Switzerland hasn’t historically been much of a threat in the hockey world, it has to be taken seriously. This is a nation trying to prove it’s on the upswing after surprising people with a silver medal finish in the 2013 World Championship.
“They’re a pretty good team – a very good team,” Jagr acknowledged.
- Bobrovsky out 4-6 weeks, Jackets recall goalie Forsberg 0
- Blue Jackets proud as Columbus shows it’s a hockey town 12
- From contract dispute to All-Star MVP, Johansen’s had quite the year 15
- Marc-Andre Fleury would like to remind the Columbus crowd that the Penguins beat the Blue Jackets in the playoffs 26
- Cannonball Run…and gun: Team Toews wins highest-scoring game in ASG history 23
- Supercut: Every goal from the highest-scoring period in All-Star Game history 7
- Video: Team Foligno survives shootout, wins Skills Competition 4
- Video: Weber wins hardest shot with 108.5 mph blast 13
- Video: Lightning’s Drouin wins fastest skater 7
- WATCH LIVE: NHL All-Star Skills Competition 2
- Columnist: Flyers ‘orchestrated’ fight night versus Pens during meal at ‘a local steakhouse’ (130)
- Flyers’ Rinaldo: ‘I changed the whole game, man’ (112)
- Video: Rinaldo tossed for boarding Letang (79)
- Report: Flyers’ Rinaldo waives right to an in-person hearing (61)
- Video: NHL offers Flyers’ Rinaldo in-person hearing (57)