Feb 14, 2014, 7:14 AM EDT
We’re two games into the Czech Republic’s schedule and Jaromir Jagr has found the back of the net in both contests. Will he go on to score in every Olympic match?
Jagr doesn’t mind joking around with the press, but the thing is, it’s certainly plausible that scenario will play out. Which is particularly remarkable when you remember that he’ll be turning 42 tomorrow.
“I don’t get old, man,” Jagr said, per the Olympic News Service. “I don’t know why.”
His work ethic and tremendous skill sometimes create that illusion. Of course, his attitude helps too. While we’ve seen losses get to him, even on a stage this big, he doesn’t sound like a guy that’s carrying a tremendous weight on his shoulders.
“We are from the Czech Republic, we are always loose man,” Jagr said. “No pressure.”
That being said, Jagr does realize that they got their work cut out for them. After losing to Sweden and beating Latvia, the Czech Republic will battle Switzerland on Saturday for positioning ahead of the single elimination portion of the tournament.
Although Switzerland hasn’t historically been much of a threat in the hockey world, it has to be taken seriously. This is a nation trying to prove it’s on the upswing after surprising people with a silver medal finish in the 2013 World Championship.
“They’re a pretty good team – a very good team,” Jagr acknowledged.
- Flyers’ Mason broke his right pinky finger playing ball hockey 11
- Lindros, LeClair and Desjardins to be inducted into the Flyers Hall of Fame 56
- It’s back! PHT’s Team of the Day summer series starts tomorrow 7
- Pens sign Spaling — two years, $4.4 million 13
- Agent: Subban hasn’t told me to make him NHL’s highest-paid D 30
- Devils sign Greene to five-year, $25M extension 18
- Subban seeking $8.5 million in arbitration, versus the Habs at $5.25 million 46
- Marchand on Plekanec: ‘I hate him. I can’t stand him’ 59
- Gettin’ paid: Gardiner inks five-year, $20.25M extension with Leafs 15
- Report: Trottier to join Sabres’ coaching staff 21
- Cashing in: Rangers sign Brassard to five-year, $25 million deal (63)
- Lindros, LeClair and Desjardins to be inducted into the Flyers Hall of Fame (62)
- Marchand on Plekanec: ‘I hate him. I can’t stand him’ (59)
- Subban seeking $8.5 million in arbitration, versus the Habs at $5.25 million (46)
- Trotz plans to let Johansson, Kuznetsov, and Burakovsky compete for time at center (45)