Feb 14, 2014, 7:14 AM EDT
We’re two games into the Czech Republic’s schedule and Jaromir Jagr has found the back of the net in both contests. Will he go on to score in every Olympic match?
Jagr doesn’t mind joking around with the press, but the thing is, it’s certainly plausible that scenario will play out. Which is particularly remarkable when you remember that he’ll be turning 42 tomorrow.
“I don’t get old, man,” Jagr said, per the Olympic News Service. “I don’t know why.”
His work ethic and tremendous skill sometimes create that illusion. Of course, his attitude helps too. While we’ve seen losses get to him, even on a stage this big, he doesn’t sound like a guy that’s carrying a tremendous weight on his shoulders.
“We are from the Czech Republic, we are always loose man,” Jagr said. “No pressure.”
That being said, Jagr does realize that they got their work cut out for them. After losing to Sweden and beating Latvia, the Czech Republic will battle Switzerland on Saturday for positioning ahead of the single elimination portion of the tournament.
Although Switzerland hasn’t historically been much of a threat in the hockey world, it has to be taken seriously. This is a nation trying to prove it’s on the upswing after surprising people with a silver medal finish in the 2013 World Championship.
“They’re a pretty good team – a very good team,” Jagr acknowledged.
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman 9
- Devils post-Martin Brodeur era about to truly start 1
- Report: Rangers expected to announce captain on Thursday 10
- Snider: Flyers not hiding behind ‘horrible mistake’ of signing Bryzgalov 18
- P.K. Subban: ‘I’m not trying to change the game of hockey’ 21
- Demand for Canucks tickets plummeting according to broker 36
- Report: Johansen, Blue Jackets talking contract 7
- NHL waiting on World Cup announcement, Olympics decision 9
- Leiweke calls out ‘just terrible’ character of certain players in Leafs organization 30
- Crosby: Pens must ‘find a way to get over that hump’ 13
- Will future tweaks be enough to salvage NHL 15? (50)
- This Darcy Kuemper-Minnesota Wild situation doesn’t sound good (40)
- Boychuk doesn’t want to be traded, but has no control over the matter (39)
- Demand for Canucks tickets plummeting according to broker (39)
- The KHL’s really trying to mow Minnesota’s lawn (38)