Feb 14, 2014, 10:40 PM EDT
Chicago Blackhawks prospect forward Brandon Pirri may have an interesting few weeks ahead of him.
The 22-year-old center has been up and down between Chicago and AHL Rockford this season and just recently was named MVP of the AHL All-Star Game.
Despite his success in the minors and showing glimpses of his offensive capabilities with the Blackhawks, he could be traded before the March 5 deadline. As Scott Powers at ESPNChicago.com shares, Pirri isn’t sure what to make of the trade rumors that have popped up lately.
“I don’t know how to feel,” said Pirri. “It’s the first time I’ve been involved in something like this where there have been rumors flying around. But at the same time, I’m not worrying about it. Just come down and help this team win.
“It’s out of my control. It’s up to the management in Chicago to do what they feel is right. I’m just looking for that opportunity wherever it may be.”
Pirri’s hopes of getting back to Chicago may have been derailed after the team acquired center Peter Regin from the New York Islanders before the Olympic break. Adding another center to the mix with Jonathan Toews, Michal Handzus, and Marcus Kruger likely squeezes Pirri out.
Pirri was the leading scorer in the AHL last season, but the team believes his defensive skills need work.
- Report: Avs, O’Reilly likely headed to arbitration 26
- Armstrong lays out what Blues offered KHL-bound Sobotka 12
- Blues re-sign Ott; Sobotka to KHL? 29
- Devils ink Schneider to reported seven-year, $42 million deal 60
- Big money: Toews, Kane sign eight-year, $84 million extensions 170
- Jets can’t let Kane situation fester much longer 56
- Report: Sidney Crosby will undergo wrist surgery 59
- Kane: ‘I’m a Winnipeg Jet right now… we’ll see what happens’ 51
- McDavid, Eichel top Central Scouting Futures list 14
- Columnist: Mike Green is ‘destined to be traded’ by Caps 40
- Big money: Toews, Kane sign eight-year, $84 million extensions (170)
- Pros and cons of Subban filing for arbitration (67)
- Giroux apologizes, calls actions a ‘misguided attempt at humor’ (64)
- Boyle wanted Big Apple after playing in ‘nontraditional hockey markets’ of Florida, California (63)
- Devils ink Schneider to reported seven-year, $42 million deal (60)