Feb 14, 2014, 10:40 PM EDT
Chicago Blackhawks prospect forward Brandon Pirri may have an interesting few weeks ahead of him.
The 22-year-old center has been up and down between Chicago and AHL Rockford this season and just recently was named MVP of the AHL All-Star Game.
Despite his success in the minors and showing glimpses of his offensive capabilities with the Blackhawks, he could be traded before the March 5 deadline. As Scott Powers at ESPNChicago.com shares, Pirri isn’t sure what to make of the trade rumors that have popped up lately.
“I don’t know how to feel,” said Pirri. “It’s the first time I’ve been involved in something like this where there have been rumors flying around. But at the same time, I’m not worrying about it. Just come down and help this team win.
“It’s out of my control. It’s up to the management in Chicago to do what they feel is right. I’m just looking for that opportunity wherever it may be.”
Pirri’s hopes of getting back to Chicago may have been derailed after the team acquired center Peter Regin from the New York Islanders before the Olympic break. Adding another center to the mix with Jonathan Toews, Michal Handzus, and Marcus Kruger likely squeezes Pirri out.
Pirri was the leading scorer in the AHL last season, but the team believes his defensive skills need work.
- Callahan: I wanted to stay in New York 10
- Playoff bubble watch — Wild edition 5
- Video: Ryan Kesler injured on knee-on-knee collision, on his way back to Vancouver 7
- Discuss: Bruins run over Habs in newest chapter of historic rivalry 23
- Peverley to undergo heart procedure, will miss rest of season 13
- Comeau gets two games for boarding Smith 9
- Three things the Canucks haven’t done well under Torts 22
- Gillis won’t say if Tortorella’s lost Canucks room 31
- Stars win one night after Peverley collapse, give Miller first Blues loss 6
- Crosby, Pens continue recent dominance of Ovechkin, Caps 30
- Chiasson ‘shaken up’ by Peverley incident, won’t dress for Stars tonight (74)
- Steve Moore remains shocked, disgusted about Todd Bertuzzi attack (72)
- ‘It’s obvious Tortorella can’t come back next year,’ writes Vancouver reporter (61)
- Flyers’ Luke Schenn on first-period brawl: ‘That’s the way it goes’ (57)
- Video: Dryden on why hockey should ‘give up the fighting, but keep the fight’ (57)