Feb 14, 2014, 10:40 PM EDT
Chicago Blackhawks prospect forward Brandon Pirri may have an interesting few weeks ahead of him.
The 22-year-old center has been up and down between Chicago and AHL Rockford this season and just recently was named MVP of the AHL All-Star Game.
Despite his success in the minors and showing glimpses of his offensive capabilities with the Blackhawks, he could be traded before the March 5 deadline. As Scott Powers at ESPNChicago.com shares, Pirri isn’t sure what to make of the trade rumors that have popped up lately.
“I don’t know how to feel,” said Pirri. “It’s the first time I’ve been involved in something like this where there have been rumors flying around. But at the same time, I’m not worrying about it. Just come down and help this team win.
“It’s out of my control. It’s up to the management in Chicago to do what they feel is right. I’m just looking for that opportunity wherever it may be.”
Pirri’s hopes of getting back to Chicago may have been derailed after the team acquired center Peter Regin from the New York Islanders before the Olympic break. Adding another center to the mix with Jonathan Toews, Michal Handzus, and Marcus Kruger likely squeezes Pirri out.
Pirri was the leading scorer in the AHL last season, but the team believes his defensive skills need work.
- Video: Bruins participate in commercials to promote NHL 15 4
- Oilers ink Schultz to one-year deal 2
- It’s Boston Bruins day on PHT 27
- Fanspeak: Dominik Hasek voted greatest Sabre in franchise history 27
- Is Colorado’s rise a fair example of what might happen in Buffalo? 7
- It’s Buffalo Sabres day on PHT 19
- Gomez goes full circle by rejoining Devils on tryout basis 12
- Under Pressure: Jimmy Howard 6
- Looking to make the leap: Anthony Mantha 21
- It’s Detroit Red Wings day on PHT 25