Feb 14, 2014, 10:40 PM EDT
Chicago Blackhawks prospect forward Brandon Pirri may have an interesting few weeks ahead of him.
The 22-year-old center has been up and down between Chicago and AHL Rockford this season and just recently was named MVP of the AHL All-Star Game.
Despite his success in the minors and showing glimpses of his offensive capabilities with the Blackhawks, he could be traded before the March 5 deadline. As Scott Powers at ESPNChicago.com shares, Pirri isn’t sure what to make of the trade rumors that have popped up lately.
“I don’t know how to feel,” said Pirri. “It’s the first time I’ve been involved in something like this where there have been rumors flying around. But at the same time, I’m not worrying about it. Just come down and help this team win.
“It’s out of my control. It’s up to the management in Chicago to do what they feel is right. I’m just looking for that opportunity wherever it may be.”
Pirri’s hopes of getting back to Chicago may have been derailed after the team acquired center Peter Regin from the New York Islanders before the Olympic break. Adding another center to the mix with Jonathan Toews, Michal Handzus, and Marcus Kruger likely squeezes Pirri out.
Pirri was the leading scorer in the AHL last season, but the team believes his defensive skills need work.
- Julien thinks diving crackdown is ‘step in the right direction’ 32
- Holland doesn’t see Babcock deal by start of season 9
- Risk Factors: Pittsburgh Penguins edition 4
- PHT Morning Skate: Flyers bringing back Ice Girls 15
- Dillon’s agent: Discussions with Stars are ‘frustrating and disappointing’ 7
- NHL shoots down Tkachev’s contract with Edmonton 9
- NHL Board of Governors approves Islanders sale 6
- Johansen, Blue Jackets talks haven’t just resumed, they’re ‘very polite’ 15
- Speedy recovery: Giroux (lower body) to play vs. Rangers tonight 12
- Risk Factors: Boston Bruins edition 13
- Players pushed for coaching fines because they were ‘encouraged’ to dive (34)
- Julien thinks diving crackdown is ‘step in the right direction’ (32)
- Reinhart admits frustration; time running out to make Sabres? (25)
- Canucks waive Markstrom as Shinkaruk, Jensen continue to impress (23)
- Filip Forsberg has scored two thirds of the Preds’ preseason goals (21)