Feb 14, 2014, 1:04 PM EDT
Norwegian goaltender Lars Haugen managed to stop 35 of 38 shots against Canada on Thursday, but he couldn’t maintain nearly that level of play when asked to start for the second time in as many days.
Haugen surrendered three first-period goals to Finland on 13 shots today. Although he did have some good saves during the 20-minute frame, his final goal on a shot by Jori Lehtera looked particularly preventable. Lars Volden replaced him, but allowed a goal to Lauri Korpikoski on the second shot he faced.
Norway doesn’t have much of a chance of winning this game, but in this tournament the amount you lose by is important too. When it comes to determining your seed for the playoffs, a team’s goal differential is used as the third tiebreaker after your position in your group and points.
That’s why Norway didn’t pull Haugen in the dying minutes of the Canada game — they wanted to maintain the two-goal differential rather than increase their slim chances of winning.
With that in mind, it’s worth adding that Canada currently has a 4-0 lead over Austria in the other Group B match.
- Injuries piling up as preseason schedule begins 11
- Report: Fedorov denies contract offer was made to Johansen 7
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers 37
- Update: Drouin out with upper body injury, not expected to miss preseason 1
- Report: NHL officials to participate in preseason without new CBA 1
- Evander Kane: I know I can score 50 goals 16
- ‘C’-less Thornton comes out swing against Wilson’s ‘tomorrow team’ talk 19
- Joe Sakic’s now general manager in name too 6
- Update: Giroux out two weeks with lower-body injury 26
- Update: Crosby on ice with Penguins teammates Friday, leaves early 5
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (65)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)
- Just how damaging are heated negotiations between Jackets, RFA Johansen? (38)