Feb 14, 2014, 9:45 PM EDT
Finland forward Tuomo Ruutu came into the 2014 Sochi Olympics with quite the track record when it came to international play.
In the 10 tournaments he’s played in including the Olympics, World Championships, and World Junior Championships, he’s been on 10 teams that have won a medal. That includes a bronze at the 2010 Vancouver Olympics and a gold at the 2011 Worlds.
As Michael Smith at the Carolina Hurricanes site shares, Ruutu says familiarity helps the Finns on the world stage.
“It’s one of the strengths of Team Finland that most of the guys know each other well, and they’ve played with each other before,” Ruutu said. “We’re really good friends and really tight,” Ruutu said. “A lot of times it feels like, even though you haven’t seen guys for a couple of years, when you see them on the first day, you feel like you saw them yesterday and nothing has changed.”
So far things are going great for Finland after scoring in bunches in victories against Austria and Norway. We’ll see how much that camaraderie pays off for them on Sunday when they face Canada to see who finishes on top of their group.
- How do Voracek, Giroux compare to the most expensive duos? 48
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal 71
- Report: Canucks, Sutter closing in on five-year deal, north of $20M 28
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs 45
- Report: Bernier and Leafs more than $2 million apart ahead of Friday’s arbitration hearing 12
- Flyers re-sign Couturier: six years, $26 million 40
- Benning calls Sutter a ‘foundation piece’ for Canucks 24
- Here’s a chart that shows which teams have been good/bad at drafting 42
- Penguins sign Fehr to three-year, $6 million contract 22
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening 54
- Bettman says NHL would have to ‘consider’ putting Quebec City in the Western Conference (71)
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal (71)
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million (62)
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 (58)
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening (54)