Feb 14, 2014, 9:45 PM EST
Finland forward Tuomo Ruutu came into the 2014 Sochi Olympics with quite the track record when it came to international play.
In the 10 tournaments he’s played in including the Olympics, World Championships, and World Junior Championships, he’s been on 10 teams that have won a medal. That includes a bronze at the 2010 Vancouver Olympics and a gold at the 2011 Worlds.
As Michael Smith at the Carolina Hurricanes site shares, Ruutu says familiarity helps the Finns on the world stage.
“It’s one of the strengths of Team Finland that most of the guys know each other well, and they’ve played with each other before,” Ruutu said. “We’re really good friends and really tight,” Ruutu said. “A lot of times it feels like, even though you haven’t seen guys for a couple of years, when you see them on the first day, you feel like you saw them yesterday and nothing has changed.”
So far things are going great for Finland after scoring in bunches in victories against Austria and Norway. We’ll see how much that camaraderie pays off for them on Sunday when they face Canada to see who finishes on top of their group.
- Scott suspended four games for punch that was ‘neither predictable, nor acceptable’ 21
- Sharks’ Scott has hearing for his punch to Jackman 29
- (Video) PHT Extra: Christmas wish lists from around the NHL 2
- PHT interviews Don Maloney, who knows he has a big trade chip in Vermette 7
- Backstrom to start for Wild, who need their goalies to be ‘better’ 13
- NHL on NBCSN: Avs challenge Blues after narrow losses to St. Louis 6
- Gaudreau’s first hat trick helps Flames stun Kings 7
- Fowler after Ducks’ win vs. Sharks: ‘We never give up’ 1
- Daly: Fehr’s lockout prediction ‘naive and uneducated’ 23
- Pens send Downie, Sutter, Greiss home for mumps test (Updated) 13
- Sabres aren’t happy with league’s decision regarding Bartkowski (65)
- Report: NHL won’t hold hearing for Bartkowski hit (55)
- Video: Who are the Bruins targeting in trade talks? (47)
- Video: Bartkowski delivers controversial hit to Gionta, fights Foligno (47)
- Could Malkin be the next player to be fined for diving? (42)