Feb 14, 2014, 1:59 AM EDT
Don’t be surprised if Hadamczik makes a change in goal. He didn’t dress Ondrej Pavelec of the Winnipeg Jets against Sweden, opting instead to use two KHL goalies; starter Jakub Kovar allowed three goals on 10 shots before being pulled less than a minute into the second period. Alexander Salak surrendered the Swedes’ fourth goal on the first shot he faced, though he did stop 14 shots after that. Hadamczik said he was giving Pavelec some extra time to adjust his body clock after coming from 10 time zones away.
The decision to start Kovar came back to bite the Czechs almost immediately, as he allowed three goals on just 10 shots in the team’s opening-tournament loss to Sweden two days ago and was yanked from the crease. Pavelec is the only National Hockey League goalie on the Czech roster, although it appeared he was just being saved for further games in the preliminary round.
“It’s the Olympics. Everyone wants to play,” Pavelec said. “That’s why we’re here. I don’t know. I’ll work hard in practice. The coaches have their reasons. Hopefully this works for us and we win.”
It’s also looking like Martin Hanzal could draw back into the lineup after being a healthy scratch in the last game. And Ales Hemsky could see a bigger role after expressing frustration with a lack of ice time in the opener.
- Ex-‘Hawks goalie Raanta tees off on former club 30
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls 114
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? 81
- Hall of Famer Al Arbour passes away 22
- Poll: Who will be San Jose’s next captain? 24
- Mike Richards charged with possession of controlled substance 95
- Gio won’t go: Flames extend Giordano for six years, $40.5M 13
- Pens’ plan for now: Crosby starts as Kessel’s center 25
- O, Dear: Russia fined $85K for skipping Canadian anthem 31
- Kings ink Ehrhoff to a one-year, $1.5 million deal 27
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls (114)
- Mike Richards charged with possession of controlled substance (95)
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? (81)
- Lucic jokes about running through Rask ‘like I did (to) another goalie’ (42)
- It’s Chicago Blackhawks day at PHT (39)