Feb 14, 2014, 1:59 AM EDT
Don’t be surprised if Hadamczik makes a change in goal. He didn’t dress Ondrej Pavelec of the Winnipeg Jets against Sweden, opting instead to use two KHL goalies; starter Jakub Kovar allowed three goals on 10 shots before being pulled less than a minute into the second period. Alexander Salak surrendered the Swedes’ fourth goal on the first shot he faced, though he did stop 14 shots after that. Hadamczik said he was giving Pavelec some extra time to adjust his body clock after coming from 10 time zones away.
The decision to start Kovar came back to bite the Czechs almost immediately, as he allowed three goals on just 10 shots in the team’s opening-tournament loss to Sweden two days ago and was yanked from the crease. Pavelec is the only National Hockey League goalie on the Czech roster, although it appeared he was just being saved for further games in the preliminary round.
“It’s the Olympics. Everyone wants to play,” Pavelec said. “That’s why we’re here. I don’t know. I’ll work hard in practice. The coaches have their reasons. Hopefully this works for us and we win.”
It’s also looking like Martin Hanzal could draw back into the lineup after being a healthy scratch in the last game. And Ales Hemsky could see a bigger role after expressing frustration with a lack of ice time in the opener.
Smid and Hemsky are expected to be higher in the lineup as team will go with 12 forwards and 8 defencemen—
Elliotte Friedman (@FriedgeHNIC) February 14, 2014
- Kings’ Dustin Brown: ‘We got our [expletives] kicked’ 0
- Feeding frenzy: Sharks devour Kings to take 2-0 series lead 16
- Canadiens push Lightning to brink of elimination with 3-2 win 22
- WATCH LIVE: Los Angeles Kings at San Jose Sharks (Game 2) 0
- Bruins handle Red Wings 4-1, tie series 1-1 37
- Flyers overcome two-goal deficit to finally win at MSG 59
- NHL suspends Seabrook three games for charging into Backes 90
- MacKinnon, Avs shine against Wild, take 2-0 series lead 25
- Video: Roenick says MacKinnon is more dominant at 18 than Crosby was 28
- Blue Jackets gain first-ever playoff win, tie series with Penguins 1-1 49
- Video: Seabrook ejected for charging Backes; will face hearing (update) (138)
- Video: Lucic spears DeKeyser from behind (116)
- Flyers want to ‘punish’ McDonagh (113)
- Bad luck strikes twice: Lightning goal waved off, Stamkos takes knee to head (99)
- That’s a raise: Flyers sign MacDonald to six-year, $30 million extension (91)