Feb 14, 2014, 8:18 AM EST
The Czech Republic started the Olympic tournament with a shocker by listing the team’s only NHL goaltender, Ondrej Pavelec, as a healthy scratch against Sweden.
They went with KHL standout Jakub Kovar instead, who ended up allowing three goals on 10 shots before being yanked early in the second period. After enduring that 4-2 loss, the Czechs decided to go with Pavelec versus Latvia.
The Winnipeg Jets netminder wasn’t challenged often, but he did turn aside 18 of 20 shots in the Czech Republic’s 4-2 victory. With the team now 1-1, they will stick with Pavelec for Saturday’s match against Switzerland, according to the Winnipeg Free Press’ Gary Lawless.
This will be a key game for positioning for both countries ahead of the single elimination portion of the tournament. The Czech Republic will be seen as the favorites going into this match, but the Swiss are a legitimate threat.
Legendary Dominik Hasek for iSport.cz of Ondrej Pavelec: "If he keeps playing like this, he should for sure be Czech no 1 goalie here."
— Zdenek Janda (@zdenek_janda) February 14, 2014
- Video: Couture fined $5K for slew-footing Smith 22
- Time to start winning — Bruins’ next four games are against non-playoff teams 17
- Burgled: Sens’ Hammond shuts out Kings 14
- Wild get important win vs. Preds (and some luck, too) 41
- Trading baggage: Blue Jackets grab Clarkson, send Horton’s contract to Leafs 66
- Panthers acquire Jagr from Devils 29
- Trotz doesn’t see a ‘big, sexy, difference-maker guy’ on the market 17
- What’s up with the reports of problems in the Blackhawks’ room? 40
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight 82
- Lombardi happy to get ‘one of the better defenseman on the market’ in Sekera 3
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- ‘I don’t know why we’re so comfortable,’ says Toews after loss to Avalanche (69)
- Report: Alex Petrovic avoids discipline after injuring Patrick Kane (68)
- Trading baggage: Blue Jackets grab Clarkson, send Horton’s contract to Leafs (66)
- Lindros files $3M defamation lawsuit against ex-referee Stewart (Updated: Now $250K) (65)