Feb 14, 2014, 11:23 AM EDT
Canada will look a little different today against Austria, and not just because it has altered the team’s lineup.
The Canadians will be sporting their black third jerseys, according to Sportsnet’s Chris Johnston.
The jersey, as Hockey Canada describes it, took its inspiration from vintage Team Canada jerseys.
Rather than prominently display the maple leaf and emphasize the nation’s colors, the black jersey has Canada in bold letters on the front. It also has gold piping and a gold maple leaf on the shoulders.
It’s worth adding that, as you might expect, Canada’s jerseys came under some criticism after they were revealed to the public. Those remarks ranged significantly, including the suggestion that Canada’s logo on the front of the red and white jerseys closely resembles that of the Canadian oil and gas company Petro-Canada’s, according to the National Post.
- Blues finish night on top of NHL standings after shootout win 0
- Kings’ Nolan gets double-minor for punching Oilers’ Joensuu 15
- Extended overtime likely to be on agenda in GMs’ March meeting 30
- Lundqvist shuts out Red Wings to claim 300th victory 10
- NHL on NBCSN: Hawks know they can’t take Sabres lightly 10
- NHL on NBC: Red Wings, Rangers fight to cling onto playoff spots 2
- Video: Flames score center-ice goal against Canucks’ Lack 19
- Stars believe Lehtonen suffered concussion from Haula collision (update) 23
- Video: Stars retire Mike Modano’s jersey 11
- Rostislav Klesla passes on joining Sabres organization following trade 12
- Canucks trade Luongo to Panthers (93)
- BLOCKBUSTER: Lightning trade St. Louis to Rangers for Callahan (82)
- Kings make splash, acquire Gaborik from Columbus (72)
- Report: Canucks want center, top prospect and first-rounder for Kesler (68)
- Steve Moore remains shocked, disgusted about Todd Bertuzzi attack (66)