Feb 14, 2014, 11:23 AM EDT
Canada will look a little different today against Austria, and not just because it has altered the team’s lineup.
The Canadians will be sporting their black third jerseys, according to Sportsnet’s Chris Johnston.
The jersey, as Hockey Canada describes it, took its inspiration from vintage Team Canada jerseys.
Rather than prominently display the maple leaf and emphasize the nation’s colors, the black jersey has Canada in bold letters on the front. It also has gold piping and a gold maple leaf on the shoulders.
It’s worth adding that, as you might expect, Canada’s jerseys came under some criticism after they were revealed to the public. Those remarks ranged significantly, including the suggestion that Canada’s logo on the front of the red and white jerseys closely resembles that of the Canadian oil and gas company Petro-Canada’s, according to the National Post.
- Comeback fit for a King: Lundqvist, Rangers even series in Game 4 0
- WATCH LIVE: Rangers at Lightning, Game 4 of Eastern Conference Final 6
- Fetisov wants to restrict young Russians from playing in the NHL 36
- All eyes on Lundqvist 10
- Quenneville opted for ‘fresh legs’ by inserting Nordstrom, Versteeg into lineup 11
- Video: Ducks hold off Blackhawks in Game 3 to take series lead 30
- (Video) PHT Extra: On Babcock, sticking to the process and housebuilding analogies 3
- Babcock predicts ‘pain’ for Leafs, who are a ‘massive, massive challenge’ 39
- Babcock wants to ‘put Canada’s team back on the map’ 47
- Flyers won’t trade Del Zotto, but ‘something will have to give’ on crowded blue line 25
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy (172)
- Leafs land Babcock with reported 8-year deal, estimated at $50 million (130)
- Russia to be punished for ‘completely out of order’ actions after Worlds final loss to Canada (91)
- Report: Sabres negotiating with Babcock (82)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)