Feb 14, 2014, 11:23 AM EDT
Canada will look a little different today against Austria, and not just because it has altered the team’s lineup.
The Canadians will be sporting their black third jerseys, according to Sportsnet’s Chris Johnston.
The jersey, as Hockey Canada describes it, took its inspiration from vintage Team Canada jerseys.
Rather than prominently display the maple leaf and emphasize the nation’s colors, the black jersey has Canada in bold letters on the front. It also has gold piping and a gold maple leaf on the shoulders.
It’s worth adding that, as you might expect, Canada’s jerseys came under some criticism after they were revealed to the public. Those remarks ranged significantly, including the suggestion that Canada’s logo on the front of the red and white jerseys closely resembles that of the Canadian oil and gas company Petro-Canada’s, according to the National Post.
- Video: Bolts lose Garrison, Paquette in loss to Wings 3
- Bruins ruin Lundqvist’s return 26
- Video: Letang hospitalized after Doan hit (Update) 42
- Bruins chalk Rask’s absence up to dehydration (Update) 4
- Happy returns: Datsyuk plays for Detroit 2
- Gearing up: Malkin, Hornqvist return for Pens 0
- Five big games to watch this weekend 8
- Video: Kessel, Booth get into altercation at Leafs practice 34
- Playoff watch — what the bubble teams need to do 29
- After Howard fails to ‘bounce back,’ Mrazek to receive ‘opportunity’ 36
- Dreger: ‘In Kessel’s case, I firmly believe he’s going to be traded’ (73)
- Coyotes ‘win’ against Sabres in OT (58)
- Red Wings beat Blues in OT, but should winning goal count? (56)
- Tank-worthy? Connor McDavid finishes OHL season with 120 points in 47 games (56)
- Report: No fine or suspension for Tyler Toffoli’s hit on Alex Burrows (51)