Feb 14, 2014, 11:23 AM EST
Canada will look a little different today against Austria, and not just because it has altered the team’s lineup.
The Canadians will be sporting their black third jerseys, according to Sportsnet’s Chris Johnston.
The jersey, as Hockey Canada describes it, took its inspiration from vintage Team Canada jerseys.
Rather than prominently display the maple leaf and emphasize the nation’s colors, the black jersey has Canada in bold letters on the front. It also has gold piping and a gold maple leaf on the shoulders.
It’s worth adding that, as you might expect, Canada’s jerseys came under some criticism after they were revealed to the public. Those remarks ranged significantly, including the suggestion that Canada’s logo on the front of the red and white jerseys closely resembles that of the Canadian oil and gas company Petro-Canada’s, according to the National Post.
- Wild get important win vs. Preds (and some luck, too) 14
- Trading baggage: Blue Jackets grab Clarkson, send Horton’s contract to Leafs 58
- Panthers acquire Jagr from Devils 28
- Trotz doesn’t see a ‘big, sexy, difference-maker guy’ on the market 16
- What’s up with the reports of problems in the Blackhawks’ room? 40
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight 81
- Lombardi happy to get ‘one of the better defenseman on the market’ in Sekera 3
- NHL on NBCSN: Wild need two points from NHL-leading Preds 21
- Video: Potential No. 1 overall pick Connor McDavid goes end-to-end, top shelf 9
- Video: Penguins hold on to beat Capitals for first time this season 32
- Leafs’ Rielly apologizes for insensitive remarks (86)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (81)
- Chiarelli understands scrutiny on GM and coach, but says, ‘It’s unfortunate that we’re under review for one year’ (69)
- ‘I don’t know why we’re so comfortable,’ says Toews after loss to Avalanche (69)
- Report: Alex Petrovic avoids discipline after injuring Patrick Kane (65)