Feb 14, 2014, 11:23 AM EST
Canada will look a little different today against Austria, and not just because it has altered the team’s lineup.
The Canadians will be sporting their black third jerseys, according to Sportsnet’s Chris Johnston.
The jersey, as Hockey Canada describes it, took its inspiration from vintage Team Canada jerseys.
Rather than prominently display the maple leaf and emphasize the nation’s colors, the black jersey has Canada in bold letters on the front. It also has gold piping and a gold maple leaf on the shoulders.
It’s worth adding that, as you might expect, Canada’s jerseys came under some criticism after they were revealed to the public. Those remarks ranged significantly, including the suggestion that Canada’s logo on the front of the red and white jerseys closely resembles that of the Canadian oil and gas company Petro-Canada’s, according to the National Post.
- Daly: Fehr’s lockout prediction ‘naive and uneducated’ 20
- Pens send Downie, Sutter, Greiss home for mumps test (Updated) 13
- The Atlantic Division race is going to be fascinating 19
- Flyers rally as Zepp wins his career debut at 33 years old 22
- Oilers squander three-goal lead, lose 18th time in 19 games 11
- Pickard makes one last bid to stay, beats Wings in nine-round SO 6
- Video: Bartkowski delivers controversial hit to Gionta, fights Foligno 42
- Giroux line takes Leafs ‘to school’ in Flyers’ 7-4 victory 17
- Wolverine Pacioretty gets two assists just two days after being hospitalized 18
- Ovechkin scores beauty as Caps shutout Devils 9