Feb 14, 2014, 4:31 PM EDT
Canadian head coach Mike Babcock confirmed the move following Friday’s 6-0 win over Austria. Both Hamhuis and Sharp played in the tournament opener against Norway, but were dropped from the second game in favor of P.K. Subban and Matt Duchene.
Duchene — at 23, the youngest player on the Canadian team — acquitted himself well against Austria, finishing plus-1 with four shots on goal in 14:28 TOI. He received some power play time and looked good skating with Corey Perry and Ryan Getzlaf.
Subban didn’t play much (11:14, least among the Canadian blueliners) and, following the game, received this review from Babcock:
Babcock on Subban: “PK was fine.”
— Jonas Siegel (@jonasTSN1050) February 14, 2014
Canada could drop Subban and Duchene from the lineup again, though there are other candidates to be scratched. Up front, Chris Kunitz hasn’t produced — no points and just three shots on goal through two games — and Jeff Carter, who scored a hat-trick against Austria, received a game-low 8:46 ice time on Friday.
- Leafs deny rift between Kessel and coaching staff 0
- Injured Crosby, Malkin will miss start of Pens’ camp 5
- Selanne rips Boudreau in book 15
- Just how damaging are heated negotiations between Jackets, RFA Johansen? 21
- Panthers owners say they’re committed even though team has lost ‘tremendous amounts of money’ 11
- Update: Wild’s Harding out indefinitely with fractured foot 20
- Johansen heads home from Columbus as talks get even messier 23
- Kesler accuses Vancouver media of making up stories, ‘throwing people under the bus’ 25
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal 53
- Mike Yeo is pretty unhappy with Minnesota’s goalie situation 22
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (61)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (56)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (54)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)