Feb 13, 2014, 1:55 AM EST
Russia had quite the debate over who to start in goal for their opening game of the Olympics and they’ve made their choice.
Colorado Avalanche goalie Semyon Varlamov will get the call to start against Slovenia on Thursday (7:30 a.m. ET on MSNBC). Varlamov gets the nod over Columbus Blue Jackets goalie and 2013 Vezina Trophy winner Sergei Bobrovsky who will back him up.
Varlamov enters the Olympics with a bit more experience than Bobrovsky in international competition. The Avs starter has played in three out of four of the past World Championships and was a member of the 2010 Russian Olympic team.
Bobrovsky, on the other hand, last competed for Russia at the 2008 World Junior Championships. Both goalies are having strong seasons in the NHL and it was a virtual toss-up as to who started.
Varlamov struggled at Worlds last year, but his play this season with the Avs has shown him to be one of the better goalie in the NHL.
- Video: Prout drops Lucic with one punch 0
- NHL grants Kings cap relief for Voynov, who’s still suspended indefinitely 26
- Trade: Stars get Demers from Sharks, send Dillon to San Jose 17
- The Leafs didn’t salute their fans last night, so that’s a thing now 68
- Dallas signs Jason Spezza to four-year, $30 million extension 18
- Video: Ovechkin with an unreal dangle, scores game-winner 16
- Video: Avs’ Tanguay takes Ovechkin shot to the face (Updated) 4
- Video: Lindros and LeClair inducted into the Flyers Hall of Fame 12
- BREAKING: Voynov charged with felony for domestic violence 34
- NHL responds to concussion lawsuit, says players should have ‘put two and two together’ 40
- The Leafs didn’t salute their fans last night, so that’s a thing now (68)
- Jack Johnson filed for bankruptcy, parents allegedly took advantage of him (58)
- Wild put Harding on waivers (Updated) (52)
- After Voynov suspension, Lombardi wonders if teams need a ‘cushion’ in case a player is a ‘bank robber, kleptomaniac’ (51)
- Video: Malkin runs over Girardi (Updated) (41)