Feb 13, 2014, 12:35 PM EDT
United States coach Dan Bylsma could have simply gone with 2010 Olympic hero and Buffalo Sabres netminder Ryan Miller for the team’s tournament opener against Slovakia on Thursday, but instead he picked Los Angeles’ Jonathan Quick, who had a strong showing in America’s 7-1 victory.
After the contest, Bylsma left us all wondering what his next move would be by refusing to name his starting goaltender for Saturday’s match against Russia, according to the Los Angeles Times’ Helene Elliott.
Russia’s offense is leagues above what the Americans faced today, but Quick has earned the right to play against them. In addition to his solid performance against Slovakia, his resume is more than impressive enough. After all, he’s a Conn Smythe Trophy winner with a career 2.03 GAA and .929 save percentage in 50 NHL playoff contests.
At the same time, Miller is one of the main reasons America won the silver medal in 2010. He’s just as good a goaltender four years later, even if the Buffalo Sabres team in front of him has gotten significantly weaker.
If nothing else, this is a great problem for the United States to have.
- Sens’ Ceci won’t return after Weber’s shot lacerates his ear (Update) 4
- Gillis pleads his case: ‘We are enduring a challenging period’ 18
- Nolan gets a game for punching ‘unsuspecting’ Joensuu 24
- It doesn’t sound like 3-on-3 overtime is going to be a thing 36
- Blues finish night on top of NHL standings after shootout win 15
- Kings’ Nolan gets double-minor for punching Oilers’ Joensuu 54
- Extended overtime likely to be on agenda in GMs’ March meeting 42
- Lundqvist shuts out Red Wings to claim 300th victory 11
- NHL on NBCSN: Hawks know they can’t take Sabres lightly 11
- NHL on NBC: Red Wings, Rangers fight to cling onto playoff spots 2
- Canucks trade Luongo to Panthers (93)
- BLOCKBUSTER: Lightning trade St. Louis to Rangers for Callahan (82)
- Kings make splash, acquire Gaborik from Columbus (72)
- Steve Moore remains shocked, disgusted about Todd Bertuzzi attack (68)
- Report: Flyers table ‘substantial offer’ for Kesler, also inquiring about Edler (59)