Feb 13, 2014, 12:35 PM EDT
United States coach Dan Bylsma could have simply gone with 2010 Olympic hero and Buffalo Sabres netminder Ryan Miller for the team’s tournament opener against Slovakia on Thursday, but instead he picked Los Angeles’ Jonathan Quick, who had a strong showing in America’s 7-1 victory.
After the contest, Bylsma left us all wondering what his next move would be by refusing to name his starting goaltender for Saturday’s match against Russia, according to the Los Angeles Times’ Helene Elliott.
Russia’s offense is leagues above what the Americans faced today, but Quick has earned the right to play against them. In addition to his solid performance against Slovakia, his resume is more than impressive enough. After all, he’s a Conn Smythe Trophy winner with a career 2.03 GAA and .929 save percentage in 50 NHL playoff contests.
At the same time, Miller is one of the main reasons America won the silver medal in 2010. He’s just as good a goaltender four years later, even if the Buffalo Sabres team in front of him has gotten significantly weaker.
If nothing else, this is a great problem for the United States to have.
- Habs sign Petry to a six-year, $33 million extension 15
- ‘Home-grown talent’ a staple of Blackhawks and Lightning 4
- A holdover from the ‘dark days,’ does Sharp have a future in Chicago? 46
- Bishop: ‘Taller guys…can be just as athletic as the smaller guys’ 6
- Tire pump? Yzerman says Toews is ‘bigger, stronger, better’ than he was 21
- Devils officially announce John Hynes, becomes youngest NHL coach 9
- PHT arrives in Tampa, gets soaked (oh, and today is Media Day) 6
- Ex-Leafs goalie Pogge eyeing North American return 5
- Poll: Should the Ducks fire Boudreau? 86
- Zuccarello (brain contusion, skull fracture) was unable to speak after injury 28
- ‘Hawks rise to occasion in Game 7, head to SCF for third time in six years (95)
- Poll: Should the Ducks fire Boudreau? (86)
- Bolts strike Stanley Cup Final berth thanks to Game 7 win over Rangers (76)
- Is it fair to hold cap teams to old dynasty standards? (74)
- Duchene slams Russian players for storming off after Canada’s 2015 WHC win (65)