Feb 12, 2014, 10:55 AM EDT
When Team Russia faces Slovenia in its Olympic opener on Thursday, Dallas Stars forward Valeri Nichushkin won’t be a part of it. The Russians have decided to scratch him along with KHL forward Alexander Svitov, according to Puck Daddy and TSN’s Dmitry Chesnokov.
For Nichushkin, the fact that he was even named to the team is a huge accomplishment. He’s having a solid rookie campaign in the NHL, but he’s also just 18 years old.
When they named him to the squad, it was likely with the intention of having him soak up the experience and learn from the best Russia has to offer, so that he’s better prepared when they call upon him in the future.
At the same time, if Russia was going to give him some playing time in this tournament, Thursday’s contest would have been an ideal opportunity. Russia is heavily favored to beat Slovenia, but they will follow that up with considerably more challenging matches against the United States and Slovakia.
To put it another way, if Russia doesn’t feel comfortable using Nichushkin against Slovenia, then there’s a good chance that he won’t play at all in the Olympics unless there’s an injury.
Update: Russia made a last-minute change and will use Nichushkin after all. Viktor Tikhonov, 25, is a healthy scratch instead.
- Arbitration filed: Holtby, Nyquist & Stepan highlight list released by NHLPA 9
- Report: Plotnikov paid $500K to get out of KHL contract 12
- Philadelphia signs ’15 first rounder Provorov 11
- Brandon Saad brings championship experience to Blue Jackets 22
- Sharks sign Joel Ward to three-year deal 24
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 74
- Locked in: Columbus signs Saad to six-year, $36M deal 28
- Oilers sign McDavid to entry-level contract 29
- ‘Hawks would like to re-sign Oduya, but still working through ‘financial hurdles’ 17
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick 73
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 (74)