Feb 12, 2014, 10:55 AM EDT
When Team Russia faces Slovenia in its Olympic opener on Thursday, Dallas Stars forward Valeri Nichushkin won’t be a part of it. The Russians have decided to scratch him along with KHL forward Alexander Svitov, according to Puck Daddy and TSN’s Dmitry Chesnokov.
For Nichushkin, the fact that he was even named to the team is a huge accomplishment. He’s having a solid rookie campaign in the NHL, but he’s also just 18 years old.
When they named him to the squad, it was likely with the intention of having him soak up the experience and learn from the best Russia has to offer, so that he’s better prepared when they call upon him in the future.
At the same time, if Russia was going to give him some playing time in this tournament, Thursday’s contest would have been an ideal opportunity. Russia is heavily favored to beat Slovenia, but they will follow that up with considerably more challenging matches against the United States and Slovakia.
To put it another way, if Russia doesn’t feel comfortable using Nichushkin against Slovenia, then there’s a good chance that he won’t play at all in the Olympics unless there’s an injury.
Update: Russia made a last-minute change and will use Nichushkin after all. Viktor Tikhonov, 25, is a healthy scratch instead.
- After not seeing ‘eye-to-eye’ with Carlyle, Reimer will compete for No. 1 gig 0
- Two down, one to go: Wings ink Tatar to three-year, $8.25M deal 3
- Cashing in: Rangers sign Brassard to five-year, $25 million deal 57
- Subban not eager to discuss contract talks 33
- Leafs re-sign Reimer — two years, $4.6 million 22
- Gorges still can’t explain falling out of favor in Montreal 13
- Eller, Habs agree to four-year, $14 million contract 10
- Cory Sarich hospitalized following cycling accident, expects ‘full recovery’ 7
- Stamkos shrugs off talk of LeBron-like homecoming to Toronto in 2016 31
- Avs and O’Reilly agree on two-year deal, but questions remain 45
- NBC Sports to air over 100 NHL regular-season games in 2014-15 (69)
- Vanek connected to federal gambling investigation (61)
- Cashing in: Rangers sign Brassard to five-year, $25 million deal (60)
- Report: O’Reilly wants $6.7M deal, Avs counter at $5.5M (58)
- Return that toaster: Ovechkin-Kirilenko engagement broken off (54)