Feb 12, 2014, 8:12 AM EDT
We know that Team USA will start Jonathan Quick on Wednesday. American coach Dan Bylsma hasn’t revealed his starter for Saturday’s marquee game against Russia, but whoever it is will have his work cutout for him whenever the United States takes a penalty.
Russia revealed it’s top power-play unit and it couldn’t get much more imposing. Alex Ovechkin will be backed up by Pavel Datsyuk, Ilya Kovalchuk, Alexander Radulov, and Andrei Markov, according to NHL.com’s Dan Rosen.
Any one of those guys by himself would be a serious threat with the man advantage, which is an easy argument to make given that Kovalchuk, Ovechkin, and Markov each finished in the top-five in power-play points in either 2011-12 or the shortened campaign.
Putting Radulov in there instead of blueliner gives them another legitimate threat to score, although it also speaks to their less than stellar core of defensemen.
If all of Russia’s lines were as dangerous as that top power-play unit, then they would be the runaway favorites, but Russia is an awfully top heavy club offensively. Their top two even-strength lines are as good as any nation’s, but they arguably lack the depth of the Canadians. That disparity between the top-six and bottom-six is a non-factor when it comes to the man advantage though and given just how good that top unit is, they need it to do well to make up for their other deficiencies.
It is worth adding that their second power-play unit, while obviously not as impressive, is nothing to sneeze at. Any unit led by Evgeni Malkin has to be taken seriously as does his supporting cast of Alexander Semin, Vladimir Tarasenko, Slava Voynov, and Evgeny Medvedev.
- Giroux leaves ice after 15 minutes with lower-body injury 8
- Update: Crosby on ice with Penguins teammates Friday, leaves early 4
- Ouch: Wild reportedly suspend Harding for ‘non-hockey injury’ 26
- Keeping Kuemper: Wild sign goalie to two-year deal reportedly worth $2.5M 14
- Selanne regrets harsh words toward Boudreau 7
- Flyers’ Timonen admits chances of playing are ‘really slim’ 7
- Desjardins (a.k.a. not Torts) makes good first impression on Canucks 28
- Leafs deny rift between Kessel and coaching staff 20
- Injured Crosby, Malkin will miss start of Pens’ camp 12
- Selanne rips Boudreau in book 18
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (62)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (56)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)