Feb 12, 2014, 11:24 AM EDT
It wasn’t clear who Canada’s starter would be going into the Olympics and it still isn’t, but what will do know is that Carey Price will get the first opportunity to impress when Canada faces Norway on Thursday.
“I’m really excited to play tomorrow,” Price said, according to the Olympic News Service. “Obviously I’m really thrilled, and just ready to go.”
While he’s starting in the opener, Team Canada head coach Mike Babcock has already committed to using Roberto Luongo on Friday against Austria.
Although he led Canada to gold in 2010 and is having a strong season in Vancouver, Luongo doesn’t mind the fact that the goaltending duties will be split for now. It also doesn’t bother him that Price got tapped for the opener, especially after Luongo saw firsthand how quickly things could change when he ended up replacing Martin Brodeur during the Vancouver Olympics.
It would be shocking if Canada lost to Norway or Austria. Their first major challenge will take place on Sunday when they face Finland. Who starts in that contest will be telling, but before that happens, Babcock is going to get a good look at his top two netminders.
- Nothing but Kuznetsov: Caps best Isles in Game 7 6
- Not done yet: Lightning earn Game 7 against Red Wings 3
- WATCH LIVE: Tonight’s Stanley Cup Playoff action 0
- Blues owner ‘disappointed and frustrated,’ but not ready to ‘throw people under the bus’ 23
- Despite ‘step in the right direction,’ do Canucks need to alter core? 15
- Report: Developers file intent to build arena in Seattle suburb 75
- Rangers lose Zuccarello indefinitely with suspected concussion 8
- Cooper: Lightning have to ‘suck it up’ and ‘fight through’ Wings’ interference 51
- Here’s your Stanley Cup playoff TV schedule for tonight 13
- Price makes 43 saves as Senators’ magical run ends in controversy 40
- It’s Done: Rangers eliminate Penguins in overtime (110)
- Another Blues campaign ends in disappoint as Wild advance (98)
- Bettman under fire after saying ‘Katy Perry’ chant wasn’t sexist (92)
- Friedman: Penguins need to ‘think about’ trading Malkin (88)
- Okposo blasts ‘idiot’ Wilson after physical outing versus Isles (82)