Feb 12, 2014, 11:24 AM EDT
It wasn’t clear who Canada’s starter would be going into the Olympics and it still isn’t, but what will do know is that Carey Price will get the first opportunity to impress when Canada faces Norway on Thursday.
“I’m really excited to play tomorrow,” Price said, according to the Olympic News Service. “Obviously I’m really thrilled, and just ready to go.”
While he’s starting in the opener, Team Canada head coach Mike Babcock has already committed to using Roberto Luongo on Friday against Austria.
Although he led Canada to gold in 2010 and is having a strong season in Vancouver, Luongo doesn’t mind the fact that the goaltending duties will be split for now. It also doesn’t bother him that Price got tapped for the opener, especially after Luongo saw firsthand how quickly things could change when he ended up replacing Martin Brodeur during the Vancouver Olympics.
It would be shocking if Canada lost to Norway or Austria. Their first major challenge will take place on Sunday when they face Finland. Who starts in that contest will be telling, but before that happens, Babcock is going to get a good look at his top two netminders.
- Bruins sign three — Hayes, Connolly, and DeFazio 7
- Babcock expects Kadri to be ‘an elite player’ 13
- No expansion bid expected from Kansas City 27
- Leafs sign Matthias — one year, $2.3 million 16
- Report: Kopitar, Kings in ‘early stages of negotiations’ for extension 8
- Arbitration filed: Holtby, Nyquist & Stepan highlight list released by NHLPA 13
- Report: Plotnikov paid $500K to get out of KHL contract 14
- Philadelphia signs ’15 first rounder Provorov 12
- Brandon Saad brings championship experience to Blue Jackets 22
- Sharks sign Joel Ward to three-year deal 25
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 (74)