Feb 12, 2014, 3:17 PM EDT
“Special teams are really good,” Lundqvist said. “That’s going to be a big factor in this tournament.”
Sweden went 1-for-4 on the man advantage against the Czechs, with Erik Karlsson hammering home his second of the game early in the second period to give the Swedes a 4-0 lead. Daniel Sedin and Nicklas Backstrom assisted on the goal and, afterward, Karlsson spoke about playing on a PP unit with such talented skaters.
“We have some pretty good players out there,” he said. “It makes it a lot easier, and you can move around a little bit more, and trust that they’re going to get the puck to you.
“It’s something I’ve been looking forward to for quite some time now.”
While the power play was good, Sweden’s penalty kill was even better. It killed off all four Czech man advantages on Wednesday, including two during a busy third period in which Lundqvist made 17 saves. The Swedish goalie acknowledged his club sagged a bit after building up a 4-0 lead, but thought there were some positives from the letdown that saw the Czechs cut the lead to two.
“I thought our first half was really strong,” Lundqvist explained. “After our fourth goal, we had a little letdown. It was a good test for us. You don’t want a game to go perfectly. You want a little test.”
- After prepping for three years, Franson excited to test free agency 7
- Sabres’ Kane (shoulder) ‘ahead of schedule’ with recovery 16
- Lightning ‘answer the challenge’ in Game 7 to reach Stanley Cup Final 37
- Vigneault: McDonagh was playing with a broken foot 21
- Bolts strike Stanley Cup Final berth thanks to Game 7 win over Rangers 76
- The Ducks got Kesler for a game like Saturday’s 32
- Duchene slams Russian players for storming off after Canada’s 2015 WHC win 58
- DeBoer predicts ‘big bounce-back’ in San Jose 14
- Sabres name Bylsma head coach 46
- Lundqvist on Game 7: ‘You’re definitely nervous, but it comes down to teamwork’ 18
- Kesler on wearing down Chicago: ‘No human can withstand that many hits’ (77)
- Bolts strike Stanley Cup Final berth thanks to Game 7 win over Rangers (76)
- From healthy scratch to hero: Vermette scores OT winner for Blackhawks (66)
- Duchene slams Russian players for storming off after Canada’s 2015 WHC win (58)
- Report: Bylsma to Sabres being held up by compensation issue (56)