Feb 12, 2014, 6:49 PM EST
Anze Kopitar is representing Slovenia in the Olympics and he has his father, Matjaz, there as the coach. One player who isn’t there is his younger brother Gaspar.
Gaspar was thought to be an automatic addition to the team because of his experience playing in North America, but he didn’t make the team.
As Andy Potts at IIHF.com shares, leaving Gaspar off the team was hard on all the Kopitars.
“In the end I think the coach made the right decision but it was very hard for him and my brother – and for me, for that matter. Gaspar’s playing in the ECHL and they won’t have a break so he’s staying over there [during the Games].”
Having things be such a family affair in Slovenia makes for one of the more interesting stories. Especially with Kopitar being such a big star in the NHL. He’ll have just one former NHL player on the roster to team up with in former Detroit Red Wings prospect Jan Mursak, but not having your kid brother there to join in the fun is a bit of a bummer.
- Firing Dallas Eakins ‘would be so unfair,’ says Taylor Hall 6
- ‘It sucks for us, it sucks for the fans’: Oilers losing skid hits six games 3
- Video: Milan Lucic calls Dalton Prout one-punch ‘gutless’ 30
- ‘We did not want to disrespect our fans’: Leafs salute supporters after beating Red Wings 3
- Video: Demers sends Stoll flying with massive open-ice hit 7
- Don Cherry on Leafs not saluting fans: ‘I couldn’t believe these guys would do something like this’ 14
- Report: Dan Hamhuis’ injury is significant, but not season-ending 5
- Been there, done that: Oilers lose five straight for second time this season 10
- Prout drops Lucic: ‘As far as I was concerned we were engaged in a fight’ 86
- Video: Prout drops Lucic with one punch 43
- Prout drops Lucic: ‘As far as I was concerned we were engaged in a fight’ (86)
- The Leafs didn’t salute their fans last night, so that’s a thing now (78)
- Jack Johnson filed for bankruptcy, parents allegedly took advantage of him (58)
- Wild put Harding on waivers (Updated) (52)
- After Voynov suspension, Lombardi wonders if teams need a ‘cushion’ in case a player is a ‘bank robber, kleptomaniac’ (51)