Feb 12, 2014, 7:40 PM EST
When Phoenix Coyotes GM Don Maloney isn’t looking for more leadership out of his team, he’s looking for players to add to help get the team in the playoffs.
The Coyotes are currently on the outside of the Western Conference playoff picture and were thought they could be sellers at the deadline. Not so fast as Dave Vest at the Coyotes’ website shares.
“We’re not looking to ‘sell,'” Maloney said when asked if the Coyotes would be ‘buyers’ or ‘sellers’ at the trade deadline. “We’d like to add. But right now there are 25 other teams in the League in the exact same situation and there are only five teams that look to be prepared to move some players out for younger assets.”
Looking for people to add has been Maloney’s mission all season. Even before training camp he was looking for a way to add a top-six forward.
That said, taking a look at what they have going on via CapGeek, they have a few players with expiring contracts (Derek Morris, David Moss, Radim Vrbata) that would be ideal to move at the deadline. Vrbata wouldn’t likely be moved, but the others stand out as possibilities.
If Maloney decides ‘buying’ isn’t for him, ‘selling’ might be easier to do.
- Trading baggage: Blue Jackets grab Clarkson, send Horton’s contract to Leafs 37
- Panthers acquire Jagr from Devils 27
- Trotz doesn’t see a ‘big, sexy, difference-maker guy’ on the market 16
- What’s up with the reports of problems in the Blackhawks’ room? 40
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight 75
- Lombardi happy to get ‘one of the better defenseman on the market’ in Sekera 3
- NHL on NBCSN: Wild need two points from NHL-leading Preds 20
- Video: Potential No. 1 overall pick Connor McDavid goes end-to-end, top shelf 9
- Video: Penguins hold on to beat Capitals for first time this season 29
- Video: Fight erupts between Penguins and Capitals inside Pittsburgh’s bench 40
- Leafs’ Rielly apologizes for insensitive remarks (86)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (75)
- Chiarelli understands scrutiny on GM and coach, but says, ‘It’s unfortunate that we’re under review for one year’ (69)
- ‘I don’t know why we’re so comfortable,’ says Toews after loss to Avalanche (69)
- Report: Alex Petrovic avoids discipline after injuring Patrick Kane (65)