Feb 12, 2014, 7:40 PM EDT
When Phoenix Coyotes GM Don Maloney isn’t looking for more leadership out of his team, he’s looking for players to add to help get the team in the playoffs.
The Coyotes are currently on the outside of the Western Conference playoff picture and were thought they could be sellers at the deadline. Not so fast as Dave Vest at the Coyotes’ website shares.
“We’re not looking to ‘sell,’” Maloney said when asked if the Coyotes would be ‘buyers’ or ‘sellers’ at the trade deadline. “We’d like to add. But right now there are 25 other teams in the League in the exact same situation and there are only five teams that look to be prepared to move some players out for younger assets.”
Looking for people to add has been Maloney’s mission all season. Even before training camp he was looking for a way to add a top-six forward.
That said, taking a look at what they have going on via CapGeek, they have a few players with expiring contracts (Derek Morris, David Moss, Radim Vrbata) that would be ideal to move at the deadline. Vrbata wouldn’t likely be moved, but the others stand out as possibilities.
If Maloney decides ‘buying’ isn’t for him, ‘selling’ might be easier to do.
- Peverley to undergo heart procedure, will miss rest of season 5
- Comeau gets two games for boarding Smith 7
- Three things the Canucks haven’t done well under Torts 15
- Gillis won’t say if Tortorella’s lost Canucks room 27
- Stars win one night after Peverley collapse, give Miller first Blues loss 6
- Crosby, Pens continue recent dominance of Ovechkin, Caps 30
- Terry Trafford’s body found in Michigan on Tuesday 8
- PHT Extra: What happens if the Caps miss the playoffs? 18
- Wings can’t afford regulation loss to Jackets 6
- ‘It’s obvious Tortorella can’t come back next year,’ writes Vancouver reporter 61
- BLOCKBUSTER: Lightning trade St. Louis to Rangers for Callahan (82)
- Chiasson ‘shaken up’ by Peverley incident, won’t dress for Stars tonight (73)
- Kings make splash, acquire Gaborik from Columbus (72)
- Steve Moore remains shocked, disgusted about Todd Bertuzzi attack (71)
- ‘It’s obvious Tortorella can’t come back next year,’ writes Vancouver reporter (61)