Feb 12, 2014, 7:40 PM EDT
When Phoenix Coyotes GM Don Maloney isn’t looking for more leadership out of his team, he’s looking for players to add to help get the team in the playoffs.
The Coyotes are currently on the outside of the Western Conference playoff picture and were thought they could be sellers at the deadline. Not so fast as Dave Vest at the Coyotes’ website shares.
“We’re not looking to ‘sell,'” Maloney said when asked if the Coyotes would be ‘buyers’ or ‘sellers’ at the trade deadline. “We’d like to add. But right now there are 25 other teams in the League in the exact same situation and there are only five teams that look to be prepared to move some players out for younger assets.”
Looking for people to add has been Maloney’s mission all season. Even before training camp he was looking for a way to add a top-six forward.
That said, taking a look at what they have going on via CapGeek, they have a few players with expiring contracts (Derek Morris, David Moss, Radim Vrbata) that would be ideal to move at the deadline. Vrbata wouldn’t likely be moved, but the others stand out as possibilities.
If Maloney decides ‘buying’ isn’t for him, ‘selling’ might be easier to do.
- Quenneville opted for ‘fresh legs’ by inserting Nordstrom, Versteeg into lineup 2
- Video: Ducks hold off Blackhawks in Game 3 to take series lead 15
- (Video) PHT Extra: On Babcock, sticking to the process and housebuilding analogies 3
- Babcock predicts ‘pain’ for Leafs, who are a ‘massive, massive challenge’ 35
- Babcock wants to ‘put Canada’s team back on the map’ 44
- Flyers won’t trade Del Zotto, but ‘something will have to give’ on crowded blue line 21
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? 70
- It goes to eleven: Lightning edge Rangers in track meet 34
- Brodeur signs three-year deal to be Blues’ assistant GM 12
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy 172
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy (172)
- Leafs land Babcock with reported 8-year deal, estimated at $50 million (130)
- Russia to be punished for ‘completely out of order’ actions after Worlds final loss to Canada (90)
- Report: Sabres negotiating with Babcock (82)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)