Feb 12, 2014, 7:40 PM EDT
When Phoenix Coyotes GM Don Maloney isn’t looking for more leadership out of his team, he’s looking for players to add to help get the team in the playoffs.
The Coyotes are currently on the outside of the Western Conference playoff picture and were thought they could be sellers at the deadline. Not so fast as Dave Vest at the Coyotes’ website shares.
“We’re not looking to ‘sell,'” Maloney said when asked if the Coyotes would be ‘buyers’ or ‘sellers’ at the trade deadline. “We’d like to add. But right now there are 25 other teams in the League in the exact same situation and there are only five teams that look to be prepared to move some players out for younger assets.”
Looking for people to add has been Maloney’s mission all season. Even before training camp he was looking for a way to add a top-six forward.
That said, taking a look at what they have going on via CapGeek, they have a few players with expiring contracts (Derek Morris, David Moss, Radim Vrbata) that would be ideal to move at the deadline. Vrbata wouldn’t likely be moved, but the others stand out as possibilities.
If Maloney decides ‘buying’ isn’t for him, ‘selling’ might be easier to do.
- One more time, with feeling: Flames stage yet another comeback, eliminate Vancouver 11
- Keith conquers: Blackhawks come back, eliminate Predators 36
- Red Wings smother Lightning, take 3-2 series lead 17
- Going the distance: Isles edge Caps to force Game 7 29
- WATCH LIVE: Today’s Stanley Cup playoff action 6
- Lucic issues statement on father’s passing 10
- Hall caught off guard by Oilers’ front office shuffle 18
- Wild’s Dubnyk shakes off six-goal night, saves 36 as Blues pushed to brink 34
- WATCH LIVE: Tonight’s Stanley Cup Playoff action 5
- Malkin: ‘I want to say sorry to fans, to my teammates’ 58
- Too little, too late: Rangers stifle Penguins for 2-1 series lead (114)
- It’s Done: Rangers eliminate Penguins in overtime (108)
- Bettman under fire after saying ‘Katy Perry’ chant wasn’t sexist (92)
- Okposo blasts ‘idiot’ Wilson after physical outing versus Isles (82)
- Preds, Forsberg finally solve Darling, push series to Game 6 (76)