Feb 12, 2014, 12:30 AM EDT
Phoenix Coyotes goalie Mike Smith is one of Canada’s three goalies in Sochi, and with that he knows what the expectations are.
Smith tells the Coyotes’ website what he thinks of Canada’s chances are at the Olympic Games and he knows it’s gold or bust.
“The expectation is (to win) a gold medal. Anything else is a failure.” Smith said. “That pressure is fun to be a part of. I think everyone expects us to win gold. It’s gotten a lot harder over the years with how good everyone else has gotten and kind of caught up to Canada in a sense, but that makes it that much more fun.”
Those words might be blunt, but he’s not wrong.
Canada has arguably the best talent in Sochi and they are the odds on favorites to win gold. Add this along with Don Cherry saying it would be a “disaster” if Canada doesn’t win gold and you’ve got sky-high expectations.
- Of course: ‘Hawks, Ducks’ back-and-forth series is going to Game 7 33
- WATCH LIVE: Ducks at Blackhawks, Western Conference Final Game 6 1
- As Bolts deal with illness, extra day of rest could prove beneficial 11
- Sounds like it’s Rundblad, not TVR, in for Chicago on defense 16
- On Kreider, and trying ‘to turn the other cheek’ 47
- Report: Sharks to name DeBoer head coach 17
- Video: Lundqvist helps lead Rangers back to New York for Game 7 6
- Lightning get taken to ‘school of hard knocks’ in third-period collapse 11
- A storm brewing: Rangers rally to force Game 7 with Lightning (Video) 11
- Video: Lundqvist stones Stamkos with left-pad save 0
- Kesler on wearing down Chicago: ‘No human can withstand that many hits’ (75)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)
- From healthy scratch to hero: Vermette scores OT winner for Blackhawks (66)
- Fetisov wants to restrict young Russians from playing in the NHL (53)
- Babcock wants to ‘put Canada’s team back on the map’ (49)