Feb 12, 2014, 12:30 AM EST
Phoenix Coyotes goalie Mike Smith is one of Canada’s three goalies in Sochi, and with that he knows what the expectations are.
Smith tells the Coyotes’ website what he thinks of Canada’s chances are at the Olympic Games and he knows it’s gold or bust.
“The expectation is (to win) a gold medal. Anything else is a failure.” Smith said. “That pressure is fun to be a part of. I think everyone expects us to win gold. It’s gotten a lot harder over the years with how good everyone else has gotten and kind of caught up to Canada in a sense, but that makes it that much more fun.”
Those words might be blunt, but he’s not wrong.
Canada has arguably the best talent in Sochi and they are the odds on favorites to win gold. Add this along with Don Cherry saying it would be a “disaster” if Canada doesn’t win gold and you’ve got sky-high expectations.
- Video: Ennis fires behind his back while falling, scores 0
- Video: Hjalmarsson crushes Kesler, Lindholm scores in wild sequence (Updated) 4
- Trade: Ducks get Brewer from Lightning; Beauchemin out 4-6 weeks 1
- Thanksgiving Shutdown: Rangers blank listless Flyers for second time this season 23
- Video: Martin St. Louis scores goal for 1,000th point 2
- Actual video proof that Brodeur is practicing with the Blues 5
- Return of the Mac: Rangers captain McDonagh in today vs. Flyers 3
- NHL on NBC: Rangers vs. Flyers in a Thanksgiving Showdown 2
- Garbutt suspended two games for ‘reckless’ knee-on-knee hit 1
- Report: Justin Schultz to be healthy scratch versus Preds 27
- Video: Milan Lucic calls Dalton Prout one-punch ‘gutless’ (101)
- Bruins’ Lucic expected to play against Habs after getting one-punched (Updated) (47)
- Report: Perron’s name comes up as Oilers seek trade for ‘top center’ (45)
- Video: Bruins see two goals waved off (44)
- Isles make some history; Are the Flyers headed for trouble? (43)