Feb 12, 2014, 12:30 AM EDT
Phoenix Coyotes goalie Mike Smith is one of Canada’s three goalies in Sochi, and with that he knows what the expectations are.
Smith tells the Coyotes’ website what he thinks of Canada’s chances are at the Olympic Games and he knows it’s gold or bust.
“The expectation is (to win) a gold medal. Anything else is a failure.” Smith said. “That pressure is fun to be a part of. I think everyone expects us to win gold. It’s gotten a lot harder over the years with how good everyone else has gotten and kind of caught up to Canada in a sense, but that makes it that much more fun.”
Those words might be blunt, but he’s not wrong.
Canada has arguably the best talent in Sochi and they are the odds on favorites to win gold. Add this along with Don Cherry saying it would be a “disaster” if Canada doesn’t win gold and you’ve got sky-high expectations.
- Mike Richards charged with possession of controlled substance 79
- Gio won’t go: Flames extend Giordano for six years, $40.5M 13
- Pens’ plan for now: Crosby starts as Kessel’s center 25
- O, Dear: Russia fined $85K for skipping Canadian anthem 28
- Kings ink Ehrhoff to a one-year, $1.5 million deal 27
- Quebec City, Vegas advance to final phase of NHL expansion process 50
- Here’s the full NHL 2015 preseason schedule, starting Sept. 20 5
- Wild assistant Sydor arrested for suspected drunk driving, child endangerment 30
- It’s Montreal Canadiens day at PHT 14
- Capitals’ biggest question: Is this finally the year? 32