Feb 12, 2014, 11:40 PM EST
If there’s anything Team USA Director of Player Personnel Brian Burke isn’t afraid to do, it’s saying what he believes.
Burke, when talking about what he expects from Team USA in Sochi says he expects nothing but the best. Chuck Gormley of CSNWashington.com shares the story.
“I know we’re at the point that if we enter any tournament wearing a USA jersey we expect to win,” said Burke. “I think that’s where our program is now. Whether we go in as a favorites doesn’t matter to me. All I care about, and all our players and management care about, is that we expect to win and we plan to do that.”
Burke pulled a page out of Surly of The Seven Duffs playbook saying he only cares about Team USA. Getting concerned about what other teams can do is a losing battle since that can’t be controlled.
After seeing the United States get to the gold medal game twice in the past three Olympics, however, those expectations of winning aren’t out of line.
- Mark Howe on his father’s health: ‘He’s back in the ballgame’ 0
- Holland: ‘I’m not against fighting’ 3
- Preds’ Neal fined for diving 17
- After surprising start, Flames sign Hartley to multi-year contract extension 4
- Update your wallcharts: Rangers confirm Brassard has mumps 11
- Video: Coyotes defeat Oilers with 0.3 seconds remaining in OT 3
- It’s ‘unlikely’ Duncan Keith has the mumps, says Blackhawks coach 3
- Bjugstad scores the winner as Panthers, Capitals make history with 20-round shootout 21
- Yep, Beau Bennett has the mumps 24
- (Video) PHT Extra: Would the Oilers really trade Taylor Hall? 11