Feb 12, 2014, 11:40 PM EDT
If there’s anything Team USA Director of Player Personnel Brian Burke isn’t afraid to do, it’s saying what he believes.
Burke, when talking about what he expects from Team USA in Sochi says he expects nothing but the best. Chuck Gormley of CSNWashington.com shares the story.
“I know we’re at the point that if we enter any tournament wearing a USA jersey we expect to win,” said Burke. “I think that’s where our program is now. Whether we go in as a favorites doesn’t matter to me. All I care about, and all our players and management care about, is that we expect to win and we plan to do that.”
Burke pulled a page out of Surly of The Seven Duffs playbook saying he only cares about Team USA. Getting concerned about what other teams can do is a losing battle since that can’t be controlled.
After seeing the United States get to the gold medal game twice in the past three Olympics, however, those expectations of winning aren’t out of line.
- Bruins sign three — Hayes, Connolly, and DeFazio 11
- Babcock expects Kadri to be ‘an elite player’ 14
- No expansion bid expected from Kansas City 33
- Leafs sign Matthias — one year, $2.3 million 17
- Report: Kopitar, Kings in ‘early stages of negotiations’ for extension 12
- Arbitration filed: Holtby, Nyquist & Stepan highlight list released by NHLPA 13
- Report: Plotnikov paid $500K to get out of KHL contract 14
- Philadelphia signs ’15 first rounder Provorov 12
- Brandon Saad brings championship experience to Blue Jackets 22
- Sharks sign Joel Ward to three-year deal 25