Feb 12, 2014, 9:02 AM EDT
With Mikko Koivu and Valtteri Filppula unavailable due to injuries, the Finnish team plans to rely heavily on 43-year-old forward Teemu Selanne. He’s going to be getting top minutes while playing with a pair of forwards whose combined age doesn’t even reach his own.
That suits Selanne fine as he thinks that playing with youngsters helps keep him youthful and it certainly works for 18-year-old Aleksander Barkov. His rookie campaign with the Florida Panthers has been paused while he lives out a dream.
“(Selanne’s) always been one of my idols,” said Barkov, according to the Los Angeles Times. “I have been always watching him play and he’s a legend. So I will enjoy every moment to play with him.”
‘Always’ doesn’t have to be an exaggeration in Barkov’s case, given that Selanne’s NHL started in 1992-93 and Barkov was born in 1995. Mikael Granlund, 21, will round out the unit and he’s naturally one of many that has been impressed by Selanne’s talent and longevity.
Despite that ability to fight back the aging process for so long, Selanne has been very open about the fact that this will be his last season and, in turn, his last Olympic games. It’s why he agreed to captain the team this time around after declining that honor in the past.
“I felt you know, maybe it’s time,” he said.
As for Barkov, he’s happy that in spite of the odds against it, he’s here firsthand, to be part of that time and shape the early chapters of his own story while he’s at it.
- Leafs re-sign Reimer — two years, $4.6 million 12
- Gorges still can’t explain falling out of favor in Montreal 9
- Eller, Habs agree to four-year, $14 million contract 10
- Cory Sarich hospitalized following cycling accident, expects ‘full recovery’ 6
- Stamkos shrugs off talk of LeBron-like homecoming to Toronto in 2016 28
- Avs and O’Reilly agree on two-year deal, but questions remain 45
- Rangers and Kreider avoid arbitration, agree on two-year deal 39
- Zuccarello takes Rangers’ one year, $3.5M deal 42
- Advancement? Leafs sign Booth for one year, $1.1M 25
- Leafs hire 28-year-old stats advocate as assistant GM 30
- NBC Sports to air over 100 NHL regular-season games in 2014-15 (69)
- Vanek connected to federal gambling investigation (61)
- Lucic regrets handshake-line actions, but isn’t apologizing (58)
- Report: O’Reilly wants $6.7M deal, Avs counter at $5.5M (58)
- Red Wings unveil plans for new arena, look to open in 2017 (57)