Feb 12, 2014, 9:02 AM EDT
With Mikko Koivu and Valtteri Filppula unavailable due to injuries, the Finnish team plans to rely heavily on 43-year-old forward Teemu Selanne. He’s going to be getting top minutes while playing with a pair of forwards whose combined age doesn’t even reach his own.
That suits Selanne fine as he thinks that playing with youngsters helps keep him youthful and it certainly works for 18-year-old Aleksander Barkov. His rookie campaign with the Florida Panthers has been paused while he lives out a dream.
“(Selanne’s) always been one of my idols,” said Barkov, according to the Los Angeles Times. “I have been always watching him play and he’s a legend. So I will enjoy every moment to play with him.”
‘Always’ doesn’t have to be an exaggeration in Barkov’s case, given that Selanne’s NHL started in 1992-93 and Barkov was born in 1995. Mikael Granlund, 21, will round out the unit and he’s naturally one of many that has been impressed by Selanne’s talent and longevity.
Despite that ability to fight back the aging process for so long, Selanne has been very open about the fact that this will be his last season and, in turn, his last Olympic games. It’s why he agreed to captain the team this time around after declining that honor in the past.
“I felt you know, maybe it’s time,” he said.
As for Barkov, he’s happy that in spite of the odds against it, he’s here firsthand, to be part of that time and shape the early chapters of his own story while he’s at it.
- Video: Bolts lose Garrison, Paquette in loss to Wings 1
- Bruins ruin Lundqvist’s return 24
- Video: Letang hospitalized after Doan hit (Update) 39
- Bruins chalk Rask’s absence up to dehydration (Update) 4
- Happy returns: Datsyuk plays for Detroit 2
- Gearing up: Malkin, Hornqvist return for Pens 0
- Five big games to watch this weekend 8
- Video: Kessel, Booth get into altercation at Leafs practice 34
- Playoff watch — what the bubble teams need to do 29
- After Howard fails to ‘bounce back,’ Mrazek to receive ‘opportunity’ 36
- Dreger: ‘In Kessel’s case, I firmly believe he’s going to be traded’ (73)
- Coyotes ‘win’ against Sabres in OT (58)
- Red Wings beat Blues in OT, but should winning goal count? (56)
- Tank-worthy? Connor McDavid finishes OHL season with 120 points in 47 games (56)
- Report: No fine or suspension for Tyler Toffoli’s hit on Alex Burrows (51)