Feb 11, 2014, 10:02 AM EDT
There’s no question that there will be tremendous pressure put on Team Russia in the 2014 Winter Games, but is that a bad thing? It didn’t bring down Canada in 2010, in fact it might have been the push they needed to win the gold.
Meanwhile, Canada’s results outside of North America haven’t been nearly as good. Since the NHL started allowing their players to participate in the Olympics in 1998, there has been two tournaments in North America and two outside of the continent. Canada won gold in Vancouver and Salt Lake City while they failed to even get a medal in Nagano or Turin.
There are varying theories as to why that is, but Team Canada GM Steve Yzerman took issue with the idea that Canada simply isn’t motivated enough when they leave North America.
“Yes, we won in the U.S.A. in 2002 and Canada in 2010, but we also had great opportunities to capture the gold in Turin and Nagano, especially in Nagano, where we had a really strong team and could have gone all the way, but we lost to the Czechs in a shootout,” Yzerman said, according to the KHL’s website.
It’s hard to read too much into Canada’s — and for that matter the United States’ — lack of success at Nagano and Turin as these are short tournaments and we haven’t seen enough of them to necessarily have a reliable pattern. Canada remains a strong team and one of the favorites to win gold.
- Lightning sign Brenden Morrow for one year 23
- Jackets sign Dubinsky through 2020-21 37
- AHL’s new overtime rules include 3-on-3 play 26
- Report: Avs, O’Reilly likely headed to arbitration 64
- Armstrong lays out what Blues offered KHL-bound Sobotka 15
- Blues re-sign Ott; Sobotka to KHL? 35
- Devils ink Schneider to reported seven-year, $42 million deal 62
- Big money: Toews, Kane sign eight-year, $84 million extensions 170
- Jets can’t let Kane situation fester much longer 57
- Report: Sidney Crosby will undergo wrist surgery 59
- Big money: Toews, Kane sign eight-year, $84 million extensions (170)
- Pros and cons of Subban filing for arbitration (67)
- Report: Avs, O’Reilly likely headed to arbitration (64)
- Boyle wanted Big Apple after playing in ‘nontraditional hockey markets’ of Florida, California (63)
- Devils ink Schneider to reported seven-year, $42 million deal (62)