Feb 11, 2014, 2:36 AM EDT
Datsyuk has been dealing with a lower-body injury, playing in only two games since the Winter Classic on Jan. 1. However, he was on the ice for Russia’s team practice on Tuesday, per Elliotte Friedman of CBC.
Datsyuk is the captain of the Russian team, which has massive expectations on it this year, in part because Russia is the host nation, but also because the team was knocked out of the competition in the quarterfinal four years ago in Vancouver.
But the health of the 35-year-old Datsyuk has been in question for some time now. Even his general manager in Detroit, Ken Holland, doesn’t believe Datsyuk is at his best, physically.
“He’s probably been preparing for this tournament for five or six years when it was announced that it was coming to Russia,” Holland said recently. “I’m sure if he couldn’t play, he won’t play.
“Is he 100 percent? Probably not, but there are probably other players in this tournament who aren’t 100 percent.”
Update: Datsyuk says he’ll play Thursday versus Slovenia.
- Playoff watch — what the bubble teams need to do 6
- Bruins can’t hold Ducks off, suffer sixth loss in a row 23
- Ticket punched: Rangers become first team to clinch 2015 playoff berth 12
- Coyotes ‘win’ against Sabres in OT 46
- Marchand: If Bruins miss playoffs, ‘this is going to be a much different group next year’ 20
- Is Lecavalier offering to retire early to facilitate trade out of Philly? 28
- Hextall insists he’s ‘on the same page’ with Snider 15
- Krejci ‘probable’ to return versus Ducks 11
- Flyers announce Simmonds, MacDonald done for the season with injuries 18
- Video: Flyers crush Blackhawks, Voracek joins league lead in points 11
- Dreger: ‘In Kessel’s case, I firmly believe he’s going to be traded’ (73)
- Red Wings beat Blues in OT, but should winning goal count? (56)
- Tank-worthy? Connor McDavid finishes OHL season with 120 points in 47 games (56)
- Report: No fine or suspension for Tyler Toffoli’s hit on Alex Burrows (51)
- Coyotes ‘win’ against Sabres in OT (45)