Feb 11, 2014, 9:11 AM EST
Colorado Avalanche defenseman Erik Johnson, like the rest of the NHLers not participating in the 2014 Winter Olympics, is on vacation. The length of his time off will be determined by an upcoming phone call.
The NHL announced that wants to have a word with him after he slashed forward Frans Nielsen‘s wrist during the Avalanche’s 5-2 victory over the New York Islanders on Saturday. The incident occurred midway through the third period and Johnson was handed a slashing minor for his actions.
The hearing will be conducted today, but given that the Avalanche don’t play until again until Feb. 26, the NHL obviously has plenty of time to deliberate if they wanted to.
After enduring a few disappointing seasons, Johnson has bounced back in 2013-14 with seven goals, 24 points, and a plus-five rating in 58 contests. He’s also already set a new career-high with 97 blocked shots and is likely to surpass his previous personal best of 123 hits.
- Firing Dallas Eakins ‘would be so unfair,’ says Taylor Hall 6
- ‘It sucks for us, it sucks for the fans’: Oilers losing skid hits six games 3
- Video: Milan Lucic calls Dalton Prout one-punch ‘gutless’ 30
- ‘We did not want to disrespect our fans’: Leafs salute supporters after beating Red Wings 3
- Video: Demers sends Stoll flying with massive open-ice hit 7
- Don Cherry on Leafs not saluting fans: ‘I couldn’t believe these guys would do something like this’ 14
- Report: Dan Hamhuis’ injury is significant, but not season-ending 5
- Been there, done that: Oilers lose five straight for second time this season 10
- Prout drops Lucic: ‘As far as I was concerned we were engaged in a fight’ 86
- Video: Prout drops Lucic with one punch 43
- Prout drops Lucic: ‘As far as I was concerned we were engaged in a fight’ (86)
- The Leafs didn’t salute their fans last night, so that’s a thing now (78)
- Jack Johnson filed for bankruptcy, parents allegedly took advantage of him (58)
- Wild put Harding on waivers (Updated) (52)
- After Voynov suspension, Lombardi wonders if teams need a ‘cushion’ in case a player is a ‘bank robber, kleptomaniac’ (51)