Feb 11, 2014, 8:04 AM EDT
He’ll have a tough test ahead of him as Slovakia is entering the tournament with a significantly different squad than they had hoped as they lost forward Marian Gaborík and defenseman Lubomir Visnovsky to injuries prior to the tournament.
With that in mind, Hossa might find himself on the only Slovakian line comprised entirely of current NHL players. He’s projected to skate alongside Chicago teammate Michal Handzus and Detroit’s Tomas Tatar.
Even still, Hossa is likely to put high expectations on himself. The team surprised the world when it finished fourth in 2010, but it left him wishing they had managed to do better.
“So close but also so far (to winning bronze),” Hossa told the Chicago Tribune before he left for Sochi. “We ran into some penalty trouble. We felt like some of them they didn’t have to be called. It’s behind us, but it’s tough still when you think about it.”
The team’s odds of winning a medal this time aren’t good, but they need Hossa to have a good tournament to have any chance at all.
- Dale Hunter: Ovechkin isn’t going to win the Selke, but he’s ‘coachable’ 0
- Voynov case: D.A. wants ‘additional follow-up’ from police before deciding on charges 9
- Video: Two quick third-period goals propel Flyers over rival Penguins 57
- Video: Pittsburgh pays tribute to Ottawa tragedy with O Canada rendition 15
- Video: McKenzie talks latest from Ottawa shootings, Voynov investigation 0
- WATCH LIVE: Pittsburgh vs. Philly on Rivalry Night 3
- Wild, Coyle agree on five-year contract extension 16
- The Flyers ‘have Mason’s back’ 9
- Postponed: NHL to reschedule Sens-Leafs in wake of Ottawa shootings 35
- NHL monitoring situation in Ottawa 23
- Source: Lucic fined $5k for gesture vs. Habs (Confirmed) (121)
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely (78)
- Video: Two quick third-period goals propel Flyers over rival Penguins (61)
- Video: Bruins’ Lucic gestures to Habs fans after late penalty (59)
- Babcock: ‘Price definitely initiates contact’ in disallowed Datsyuk goal (59)