Feb 11, 2014, 8:04 AM EDT
He’ll have a tough test ahead of him as Slovakia is entering the tournament with a significantly different squad than they had hoped as they lost forward Marian Gaborík and defenseman Lubomir Visnovsky to injuries prior to the tournament.
With that in mind, Hossa might find himself on the only Slovakian line comprised entirely of current NHL players. He’s projected to skate alongside Chicago teammate Michal Handzus and Detroit’s Tomas Tatar.
Even still, Hossa is likely to put high expectations on himself. The team surprised the world when it finished fourth in 2010, but it left him wishing they had managed to do better.
“So close but also so far (to winning bronze),” Hossa told the Chicago Tribune before he left for Sochi. “We ran into some penalty trouble. We felt like some of them they didn’t have to be called. It’s behind us, but it’s tough still when you think about it.”
The team’s odds of winning a medal this time aren’t good, but they need Hossa to have a good tournament to have any chance at all.
- NHL on NBCSN: Hungry Flyers set sights on rival Penguins 0
- Video: Raanta shuts out flat Flyers in emergency start 2
- Video: Flyers’ Jones lays out Smith, called for charging 7
- Video: Islanders’ Hickey cut after taking a skate to the face 1
- (Video) McKenzie: NHLPA ‘entirely on board’ with Voynov suspension 9
- If allegations are true, will Kings welcome Voynov back into their ‘special’ group? 34
- Rutherford on Fleury: ‘As long as I’m the GM, he’ll be our goalie’ 16
- Datsyuk will play tonight in Montreal 4
- NHL on NBCSN: Flyers take on ‘Hawks in Chicago 9
- Jets’ Maurice apologizes for using the F-bomb at a reporter 30
- Source: Lucic fined $5k for gesture vs. Habs (Confirmed) (121)
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely (78)
- Video: Bruins’ Lucic gestures to Habs fans after late penalty (59)
- ‘It’s stupid': Tempers flare after Kesler’s late charge on Granlund (54)
- Lucic apologizes for obscene gesture: ‘I’m obviously not proud of what I did there’ (45)