Feb 11, 2014, 11:35 PM EDT
The Czech Republic might be without one of their top defensemen when they open up against Sweden on Wednesday.
Czech coach Alois Hadamczik tells iSport (via TheScore) Tampa Bay Lightning blue liner Radko Gudas is battling a fever and may not play. Gudas had been paired up with Flames defenseman Ladislav Smid during practice.
Hadamczik played it mysteriously as to who would take Gudas’ spot if he’s out saying they have seven defensemen and six will play. The candidates to jump in are former NHL defensemen Lukas Krajicek and Michal Barinka. Those two were part of the fourth pairing at practice.
It goes without saying that going without a starter on defense against Sweden is asking for trouble. The Czechs are in Group C with the Swedes, Switzerland, and Latvia.
- Hall of Famer Al Arbour passes away 12
- Poll: Who will be San Jose’s next captain? 17
- It’s San Jose Sharks Day at PHT 15
- Mike Richards charged with possession of controlled substance 92
- Gio won’t go: Flames extend Giordano for six years, $40.5M 13
- Pens’ plan for now: Crosby starts as Kessel’s center 25
- O, Dear: Russia fined $85K for skipping Canadian anthem 28
- Kings ink Ehrhoff to a one-year, $1.5 million deal 27
- Quebec City, Vegas advance to final phase of NHL expansion process 50
- Here’s the full NHL 2015 preseason schedule, starting Sept. 20 5