Feb 11, 2014, 11:35 PM EDT
The Czech Republic might be without one of their top defensemen when they open up against Sweden on Wednesday.
Czech coach Alois Hadamczik tells iSport (via TheScore) Tampa Bay Lightning blue liner Radko Gudas is battling a fever and may not play. Gudas had been paired up with Flames defenseman Ladislav Smid during practice.
Hadamczik played it mysteriously as to who would take Gudas’ spot if he’s out saying they have seven defensemen and six will play. The candidates to jump in are former NHL defensemen Lukas Krajicek and Michal Barinka. Those two were part of the fourth pairing at practice.
It goes without saying that going without a starter on defense against Sweden is asking for trouble. The Czechs are in Group C with the Swedes, Switzerland, and Latvia.
- Hurricanes say Jordan Staal broke a bone in his right leg 2
- IIHF, NHL to meet next month to discuss World Cup (Updated) 0
- Caps unveil new Winter Classic jerseys 25
- Drouin out 3-4 weeks with fractured thumb 3
- On carrying three goalies, and which teams might be forced to do it 8
- Bettman: NHL won’t expand ‘just to fulfill somebody’s notion of symmetry’ 10
- Report: Johansen lowers demands, but not low enough 35
- Injuries piling up as preseason schedule begins 11
- Report: Fedorov denies contract offer was made to Johansen 8
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers 44
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers (44)
- Just how damaging are heated negotiations between Jackets, RFA Johansen? (38)
- Report: Johansen lowers demands, but not low enough (35)
- Desjardins (a.k.a. not Torts) makes good first impression on Canucks (29)