Feb 11, 2014, 11:35 PM EST
The Czech Republic might be without one of their top defensemen when they open up against Sweden on Wednesday.
Czech coach Alois Hadamczik tells iSport (via TheScore) Tampa Bay Lightning blue liner Radko Gudas is battling a fever and may not play. Gudas had been paired up with Flames defenseman Ladislav Smid during practice.
Hadamczik played it mysteriously as to who would take Gudas’ spot if he’s out saying they have seven defensemen and six will play. The candidates to jump in are former NHL defensemen Lukas Krajicek and Michal Barinka. Those two were part of the fourth pairing at practice.
It goes without saying that going without a starter on defense against Sweden is asking for trouble. The Czechs are in Group C with the Swedes, Switzerland, and Latvia.
- Byfuglien out 2-4 weeks with upper-body injury; Little hurt, too 7
- Season over: Avs lose MacKinnon to broken foot 11
- Playoff watch — what the bubble teams need to do 18
- Bruins sign Krug and Smith to contract extensions 35
- Lawyer: Ribeiro to ‘vigorously fight’ $1M lawsuit alleging abuse of ex-nanny (Updated) 15
- In praise of the Hamburglar 14
- Leafs’ Panik latest to be fined for diving 9
- Connor McDavid is just on fire right now 21
- Video: Zidlicky’s first goal with Detroit gives Red Wings OT win over Rangers 32
- Video: P.K. Subban illustrates hockey instincts through GoPro camera perspective 5