Feb 11, 2014, 11:35 PM EDT
The Czech Republic might be without one of their top defensemen when they open up against Sweden on Wednesday.
Czech coach Alois Hadamczik tells iSport (via TheScore) Tampa Bay Lightning blue liner Radko Gudas is battling a fever and may not play. Gudas had been paired up with Flames defenseman Ladislav Smid during practice.
Hadamczik played it mysteriously as to who would take Gudas’ spot if he’s out saying they have seven defensemen and six will play. The candidates to jump in are former NHL defensemen Lukas Krajicek and Michal Barinka. Those two were part of the fourth pairing at practice.
It goes without saying that going without a starter on defense against Sweden is asking for trouble. The Czechs are in Group C with the Swedes, Switzerland, and Latvia.
- Lightning get taken to ‘school of hard knocks’ in third-period collapse 0
- A storm brewing: Rangers rally to force Game 7 with Lightning (Video) 9
- Video: Lundqvist stones Stamkos with left-pad save 0
- Bob Clarke really doesn’t care for tanking 33
- Hitchcock re-signs for one more year in St. Louis 9
- Ducks win crazy Game 5, push ‘Hawks to edge of elimination 32
- WATCH LIVE: Blackhawks at Ducks, Game 5 of Western Conference Final 3
- In the playoffs, sometimes it comes down to the ‘bounces’ 4
- Now feels like a good time to debate Stamkos’ next contract 38
- Here’s the latest on coaching searches in Buffalo, San Jose and New Jersey 3
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy (174)
- Leafs land Babcock with reported 8-year deal, estimated at $50 million (130)
- Kesler on wearing down Chicago: ‘No human can withstand that many hits’ (75)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)
- From healthy scratch to hero: Vermette scores OT winner for Blackhawks (66)