Feb 11, 2014, 7:30 PM EDT
Phoenix Coyotes GM Don Maloney has a reason for why his team has been inconsistent this season and it might surprise you: Questionable leadership.
“I really look at it and say it comes back to the leadership in your locker room,” Maloney said. “This is not a condemnation of (captain) Shane (Doan). I’m not pointing a finger at Shane whatsoever. This is the collective group … this group that’s been here for the last four, five years, that knows how we have to play and the focus we have to put in to have that group drag along the rest of the players. And that’s what has me doing a lot of soul searching right now.”
Doan hasn’t been the same player since returning from Rocky Mountain spotted fever. Before that, he was playing some of the best hockey of his career. Pointing the finger at him would’ve been rough.
The Coyotes have the same number of points as the Dallas Stars, but the Stars have the tiebreaker edge on the Coyotes for the final wild card spot. If Phoenix can find that consistency they’re lacking, they’ll be a tough opponent in the postseason.
- Bolts strike Stanley Cup Final berth thanks to Game 7 win over Rangers 0
- WATCH LIVE: Lightning at Rangers, Eastern Conference Final Game 7 8
- The Ducks got Kesler for a game like Saturday’s 30
- Your Lightning-Rangers Game 7 officials are… 1
- Duchene slams Russian players for storming off after Canada’s 2015 WHC win 54
- DeBoer predicts ‘big bounce-back’ in San Jose 12
- Sabres name Bylsma head coach 46
- Lundqvist on Game 7: ‘You’re definitely nervous, but it comes down to teamwork’ 18
- Report: Bylsma to Sabres being held up by compensation issue 56
- Stanley Cup Final to begin June 3 10
- Kesler on wearing down Chicago: ‘No human can withstand that many hits’ (77)
- From healthy scratch to hero: Vermette scores OT winner for Blackhawks (66)
- Report: Bylsma to Sabres being held up by compensation issue (56)
- On Kreider, and trying ‘to turn the other cheek’ (54)
- Duchene slams Russian players for storming off after Canada’s 2015 WHC win (54)