Feb 11, 2014, 10:30 PM EDT
The Olympic break might be coming at the best time for the New York Islanders and Frans Nielsen.
Isles GM Garth Snow says Nielsen will miss a month of action after suffering a broken hand on Saturday night, as Arthur Staple of Newsday shares.
Losing Nielsen puts the Islanders at major two-way disadvantage. He’s third on the team in points and is one of (if not their best) defensive forward. He’s also arguably their best performer in the shootout.
Times have been rough enough for the Isles as they’re winless in seven of their past eight games. Going without Nielsen for at least a couple weeks once Olympic break is over won’t make matters any easier.
- Wild hold off late Avalanche push to even series at 2-2 10
- Bruins scratch out OT win, push Red Wings to brink 18
- WATCH LIVE: San Jose Sharks at L.A. Kings 0
- WATCH LIVE: Colorado Avalanche at Minnesota Wild (Game 4) 5
- Monster of a surprise: Red Wings start Gustavsson over Howard 5
- WATCH LIVE: Boston Bruins at Detroit Red Wings (Game 4) 2
- Bylsma rips Penguins, calls effort level ‘troubling’ 64
- Cooke: I didn’t intend to collide knee-on-knee with Barrie 98
- On ‘score effects,’ and the challenges of playing with the lead 11
- MacKinnon: Avs ‘shut ourselves down’ in Game 3, not Wild 29
- Video: Seabrook ejected for charging Backes; will face hearing (update) (153)
- Bad luck strikes twice: Lightning goal waved off, Stamkos takes knee to head (137)
- Keith doesn’t remember if he taunted Backes after Seabrook hit (125)
- Video: Lucic spears DeKeyser from behind (118)
- Wild’s Cooke offered in-person hearing for knee-on-knee collision with Barrie (111)