Feb 11, 2014, 3:38 PM EST
“After Nielsen attempts to rim the puck behind the net to a teammate, Johnson chokes up on his stick and delivers a reckless two-handed slash, catching Nielsen across the thumb and injuring him,” the NHL’s Department of Player Safety explained. “Nielsen makes no unpredictable movements, and Johnson’s reckless slash is violent and directly across the hand.”
Here’s the video:
The incident occurred at 12:09 of the third period, and Johnson was assessed a minor penalty for slashing. He had no prior history of supplemental discipline with the league and wasn’t considered a repeat offender, but Nielsen’s injury did contribute to the punishment.
Johnson will miss Colorado’s first two games out of the Olympic break — Feb. 26 versus Los Angeles and Feb. 28 against Phoenix — and will forfeit $38,461.54 in salary to the Players’ Emergency Fund. He’ll be eligible to return on Sunday, Mar. 2 against Tampa Bay.
- Lightning ride Paquette’s first hat trick to Atlantic lead 4
- Price wins goalie duel vs. Lundqvist as Habs edge Rangers 2
- Leafs’ luck: Bernier gives up long distance goal, things unravel in third 15
- AHL announces new Pacific Division — who could go west next? 33
- Babcock didn’t think Wings would be ‘near where we’re at’ 15
- Brodeur announces retirement, leaves ‘the game with a big smile on my face’ 15
- NHL on NBCSN: Sharks’ ‘dog fight’ continues vs. red hot Ducks 4
- NHL on NBCSN: Rangers, Canadiens seek edge as divisional battles intensify 2
- Struggling Kings complete the comeback against Blackhawks 11
- Video: Tempers boil over between Capitals, Penguins 46