Feb 11, 2014, 3:38 PM EST
“After Nielsen attempts to rim the puck behind the net to a teammate, Johnson chokes up on his stick and delivers a reckless two-handed slash, catching Nielsen across the thumb and injuring him,” the NHL’s Department of Player Safety explained. “Nielsen makes no unpredictable movements, and Johnson’s reckless slash is violent and directly across the hand.”
Here’s the video:
The incident occurred at 12:09 of the third period, and Johnson was assessed a minor penalty for slashing. He had no prior history of supplemental discipline with the league and wasn’t considered a repeat offender, but Nielsen’s injury did contribute to the punishment.
Johnson will miss Colorado’s first two games out of the Olympic break — Feb. 26 versus Los Angeles and Feb. 28 against Phoenix — and will forfeit $38,461.54 in salary to the Players’ Emergency Fund. He’ll be eligible to return on Sunday, Mar. 2 against Tampa Bay.
- Preds’ Neal fined for diving 5
- After surprising start, Flames sign Hartley to multi-year contract extension 3
- Update your wallcharts: Rangers confirm Brassard has mumps 9
- Video: Coyotes defeat Oilers with 0.3 seconds remaining in OT 3
- It’s ‘unlikely’ Duncan Keith has the mumps, says Blackhawks coach 3
- Bjugstad scores the winner as Panthers, Capitals make history with 20-round shootout 20
- Yep, Beau Bennett has the mumps 24
- (Video) PHT Extra: Would the Oilers really trade Taylor Hall? 11
- Russia’s economic crisis causing big trouble for KHL 56
- Eakins calls for patience in Edmonton, whether fans ‘like it or not’ 15