Feb 11, 2014, 1:26 PM EDT
Following a roster selection process rife with question marks, the Czech Olympic team made another surprising decision on Tuesday, announcing that Winnipeg goalie Ondrej Pavelec wouldn’t dress for the tournament opener against Sweden.
More unrest around the Czech hockey team: Ondrej Pavelec won’t play the tournament-opener against Sweden tomorrow. He’s not even dressing.
— Chris Johnston (@reporterchris) February 11, 2014
“I’m in the stands,” Pavelec, the lone NHL goalie on the Czech roster, said on Tuesday, per the Winnipeg Free Press. “I’m not sure. It’s the coach’s decision. But he told me I would play in the second game against Latvia.”
Jakub Kovar, a former Flyers draftee that’s been lights-out in the KHL this year, will get the start against the Swedes. He’ll be backed up by Alexander Salak, another KHL netminder that previously spent time with the Florida and Chicago organizations.
Pavelec sounded OK with the decision, having previously told 680 Radio Winnipeg he didn’t know what to expect when he got to Sochi.
“It’s the Olympics. Everyone wants to play,” he said. “That’s why we’re here. I don’t know. I’ll work hard in practice. The coaches have their reasons. Hopefully this works for us and we win.”
Then, when St. Louis forward Vladimir Sobotka was ruled out with injury, the Czechs surprised again by naming Martin Erat as his replacement. Erat is in the midst of a disappointing campaign in Washington, in which he’s only scored one goal, been made a healthy scratch and demanded a trade.
- As Bolts deal with illness, extra day of rest could prove beneficial 2
- Sounds like it’s Rundblad, not TVR, in for Chicago on defense 10
- On Kreider, and trying ‘to turn the other cheek’ 30
- Report: Sharks to name DeBoer head coach 12
- Video: Lundqvist helps lead Rangers back to New York for Game 7 5
- Lightning get taken to ‘school of hard knocks’ in third-period collapse 11
- A storm brewing: Rangers rally to force Game 7 with Lightning (Video) 11
- Video: Lundqvist stones Stamkos with left-pad save 0
- Bob Clarke really doesn’t care for tanking 37
- Hitchcock re-signs for one more year in St. Louis 10
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy (174)
- Leafs land Babcock with reported 8-year deal, estimated at $50 million (130)
- Kesler on wearing down Chicago: ‘No human can withstand that many hits’ (75)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)
- From healthy scratch to hero: Vermette scores OT winner for Blackhawks (66)