Report: Brodeur met with Lamoriello to discuss his future with Devils

Feb 10, 2014, 8:15 AM EDT

Martin Brodeur Getty Images

Martin Brodeur‘s future in New Jersey has become a hot topic of late and isn’t likely to cool off.

Renaud Lavoie of TVA Sports reports Brodeur met with Devils GM Lou Lamoriello to discuss his future with the team. Brodeur has mentioned this season how it’s been difficult being relegated to backup duty behind Cory Schneider and would be OK with going to a contender if it’s best for the Devils.

Schneider has been the better goalie this season and Brodeur’s career is nearly at an end. If he needs to go elsewhere to finish his career, it would be very strange seeing him not in a Devils uniform.

1. idonthavethebloodyoucrave - Feb 10, 2014 at 9:15 AM

I doubt this guy is gonna hang em up before he hits 700 wins. Whether it’s with New Jersey or not.

• blomfeld - Feb 10, 2014 at 9:24 PM

IT WAS ONLY A MATTER OF TIME …

blomfeld – Sep 16, 2013 at 2:22 PM

BEST OF LUCK TO YOU NUMBER 2 !!!

Giving away Cory Schneider for some unknown 18 year old called ‘Wofat’ was probably the dumbest trade ever made since the Lenape Indians thought it might be an idea to sell Manhattan to the Dutch for a lousy $24.00 ! Gillis is going to rue his cowardice to no end and it all starts tonight with Cory’s first appearance … GO Schneider !!! :)

*** NHL’s Top Goaltenders as per The Guardian Newspaper ***

1) Jonathan Quick
      2) Cory Schneider
      3) Jonathan Bernier
      4) Carey Price
      5) Henrik Lundqvist

28) Roberto Luongo
      29) Alexander Ovechkin
      30) Ilya Bryzgalov

2. guanacoracing - Feb 10, 2014 at 9:21 AM

I doubt a contender would sign Brodeur at his current performance level.

• hockey412 - Feb 10, 2014 at 12:02 PM

I agree partially – but I’m sure there are teams that at least have concerns at the back-up level…like Pittsburgh – if the price wasn’t unrealistic. First round pick, even by itself, is out of the question.

• govtminion - Feb 10, 2014 at 2:36 PM

Could you honestly see the Devils trading him to a team in the division though? That would have to be a really great deal for the Devils to even think about that- the P.R. mess would be enormous.

• hockey412 - Feb 12, 2014 at 9:04 AM

Hard to see – I agree. But with an aging core that already needs rebuilt, and no first rounder this year to start it off, I can see them making conssessions.

3. coconutman1 - Feb 10, 2014 at 9:23 AM

That is a very odd looking picture.

• davebabychreturns - Feb 10, 2014 at 10:10 AM

Yeah! If you check it out in full it looks normal:

But the way it’s been squeezed to fit into the story it almost looks like the greasepaint Brodeur is wearing are his eyes and his real eyes are eyebrows which makes him look like … well I don’t know how to say this politely.. Tuukka Rask?

• comeonnowguys - Feb 10, 2014 at 11:39 AM

That’s terrible.

And I’m terrible for still laughing at it.

4. comeonnowguys - Feb 10, 2014 at 9:36 AM

There you go, Blues. God speed. :)

5. jb8383 - Feb 10, 2014 at 10:07 AM

I really just don’t get this at all. I love Marty, but does he really think a cup contender is going to take him on as a #1 goalie? If not then why be #2 somewhere else? Devils aren’t totally out of it yet so how about being the #2 for them. I wish he could play forever but he is showing his age this year.

• idonthavethebloodyoucrave - Feb 10, 2014 at 10:18 AM

Math is the only thing that makes them not totally out of it. But put a fork in em, this team is done.

Lou would be smart to trade off Brodeur and Jagr and try to get some draft picks to recover from the Kovalchuk debacle. Jagr would certainly yield a late first rounder or early second rounder to a playoff contender. I can see Pittsburgh and Montreal being possible landing spots for Brodeur. Fleury needs a solid backup come playoff time and Brodeur could be that player. Montreal has no use for Brodeur as a player but they would certainly be open to acquiring “Montreal’s First Son,” and generate some revenue of having him play his last game in a Canadians jersey.

• jb8383 - Feb 10, 2014 at 10:23 AM

Yeah, trading Jagr makes sense if we’re going to miss the playoffs but I wasn’t talking about Jagr. It doesn’t make sense to me for Marty. I don’t think anyone would want him and I don’t see it happening. Not based on his performance this year.

• sumkat - Feb 10, 2014 at 10:47 AM

Jagr is NOT going to be worth a 1st round to anyone. 3rd or 4th? Maybe. a 3 month rental of a guy closer to 40 than 35 is not going to happen, sorry. Marty isn’t that good any more, nobody is that desperate for a goalie, and even if they were, they’d get a better payoff going after someone like Emery or Gustavsson.

• dolphincult - Feb 11, 2014 at 12:12 AM

The habs would never bother. For one they have one of the best backups in the league who is also a superb dressing room presence.

• idonthavethebloodyoucrave - Feb 10, 2014 at 10:23 AM

I just gave ya two scenarios that make sense for Marty.

• jb8383 - Feb 10, 2014 at 10:30 AM

#1 Marty’s always said he didn’t want to play for Montreal. #2 I don’t think Lou would trade him in our own division. So no, your scenarios don’t make sense.

• sumkat - Feb 10, 2014 at 10:53 AM

No you didn’t. You gave 2 scenarios, neither makes sense

The Habs are going to give up a pick for the “revenue” they will generate by letting Marty end his career there? Do the Habs have trouble selling tickets all of a sudden? They are going to give up a pick to sell ticket that are already sold?

The Pens make a very little sense….they probably would like to get a vet backup for Fluery, who is known for coming up small in big moments, but why would they want Marty? Out of the backups available, his numbers are by far the worst. Too many young guys have played well (therefore making other guys, or themselves trade bait), this year for the Marty to have any value…maybe in a dry market.

Will they get a pick for him? Probably. Will they get a pick that has any real value? no

• idonthavethebloodyoucrave - Feb 10, 2014 at 11:05 AM

Brodeur recently stated,”“I’m open to anything,” Brodeur told the paper. “I just want to play. So . . . if there’s a better situation for me, I’ll take it. If it’s here or somewhere else, it doesn’t matter.”

He wants 700. He’s going to play til he gets it. The Devils are going to be rebuilding next year. They will make a full push in 2014-2015 to Schneider since he will be in a contract year and that will only offer Brodeur enough chances where he’d have to be flawless in order to get 700. This is his last year on his contract and the Devils will get nothing for him if the season ends with him on the roster.

First, He has family in Montreal and is rooted there. He spends his summers in Morin-Heights. This is one of the furthest places he could go that would be an easy transition on his family. Brodeur also loves Montreal. He grew up with the team. So you’re wrong here.

Secondly, the reason you don’t trade within your division is because it can hurt your playoff chances. The Devils have no playoff chances and nor will Brodeur alter any of those chances should he be with another division team. So you’re wrong here, again.

You’re two for two. Grats.

I know that if you’re a Devils fan that it may seem alien for the greatest goalie of all time to dawn another uniform. But in reality, your team isn’t going anywhere and is in dire need of draft picks. The Devils can and should make any trade that Brodeur would agree to in order to help the franchise.

• idonthavethebloodyoucrave - Feb 10, 2014 at 11:09 AM

And if you think that the Pittsburgh Penguins are comfortable with Jeff Zatkoff as their playoff backup while having full knowledge of Fleury’s playoff choking history then … just … LOL

• jb8383 - Feb 10, 2014 at 11:15 AM

you don’t know what you’re talking about so i really don’t want to keep going back and forth. He’s not tradeable.

• idonthavethebloodyoucrave - Feb 10, 2014 at 11:23 AM

Brodeur is absolutely tradeable. How much you’re gonna get for him is very debatable and unknown. LOL He had a meeting with the GM last Thursday to discuss his status! Which in translation means, “If you can find a suitable fit for both of us, make the trade”

I know reading is hard for some people but he says it himself as late as January 30th, 2014.

Come playoff time, he has experience for a team that needs an experienced fall back.

I know you wanna snuggle onto your franchise legend but he’s very willing to waive his no trade clause and move on if the scenario suits him.

HE SAID IT.

DEAL WITH IT.

• jb8383 - Feb 10, 2014 at 11:42 AM

I know he said it you moron. Read between the lines. I am saying that it’s not going to actually happen because no team that is a cup contender right now is going to want him at this age and the way he is playing this year. Lou isn’t going to trade him unless it’s going to worth it for the Devils, which it’s not, because there are no teams that are going to give up anything good for Marty to make the trade worth it for the Devils so it’s not going to happen. I am not upset about seeing him go or the idea of it. If he could win another cup on another team I would absolutely want that for him as a Devils fan because I respect him. I just don’t see it happening.

• idonthavethebloodyoucrave - Feb 10, 2014 at 12:12 PM

LOL

Prior to the Winter Classic and PHX debacles, Brodeur had a 2.12 and .914 SV over his last 8 games.

Damn those pesky facts!

Don’t tell other people they don’t know what they’re talking about when you’re just pulling it out of your bum. I’m not even a Devils fan and probably know more about your team.

There were times in October-November and parts of December where Brodeur was the only reason this team wasn’t getting laughed off the ice.

He brings playoff experience and is capable of being a solid #2.

You’re just embarrassing yourself now.

• jb8383 - Feb 10, 2014 at 12:49 PM

Really, yeah I am just making this up?! Read the article. “Brodeur has mentioned this season how it’s been difficult being relegated to backup duty behind Cory Schneider and would be OK with going to a contender if it’s best for the Devils.The awkward part of that thinking, however, is that Brodeur isn’t the same goalie he’s been in the past and his numbers bear that out. His save percentage (.899) and goals-against average (2.52) are the worst they’ve been in his 20-year career.” How about those pesky facts?

• idonthavethebloodyoucrave - Feb 10, 2014 at 2:08 PM

LOL you’re still embarrassing yourself.

Through Nov/Dec, Brodeur posted a .917 SV with around a 2.00 GAA.

The TEAM has been horrid since early December.

I love schooling fans of their own teams.

You’re just a joke at this point but by all means … keep on keepin on’!

• jb8383 - Feb 10, 2014 at 2:17 PM

You’re the joke…you’re not schooling me on anything you clown. If he was playing any good he would be starting games for the Devils and he hasn’t in like 3 weeks. He’s not playing well, he doesn’t have the reflexes he used to, he’s 41 going on 42, he’s done. I bet the meeting was to talk about retiring.

• idonthavethebloodyoucrave - Feb 10, 2014 at 11:17 AM

Sumkast, do you even think before the you inject your verbal diarrhea into a discussion?

You do realize that Jagr yielded a conditional 2nd round (which turned into a 1st rounder) from Boston’s trade with Dallas last year, right?

And he’s having his best season in 3 years on a club that has almost zero offense?

I mean the amount of stupid that people type is really funny sometimes.

The fact that it actually passes through their brain unfiltered of moron is nothing short of hilarious.

6. 950003cups - Feb 10, 2014 at 10:13 AM

There aren’t any contenders who are looking for a goalie. If they were, they most likely wouldn’t be contenders.

• jb8383 - Feb 10, 2014 at 10:17 AM

exactly. i don’t get what he is talking about.

7. sheapuck - Feb 10, 2014 at 1:11 PM

In the spirit of Marty, I have given my girlfriend notice that I will waive the ‘no-breakup clause’ in our relationship if there are any big breasted supermodels interested in having me as a sex toy. Ironically, she says there is no demand in that area me my type. Go figure.

8. pastabelly - Feb 10, 2014 at 3:54 PM

At 41, any discussion of his future that doesn’t center around talks about his Hall of Fame speech or number retirement ceremony, just don’t make any sense. I don’t get this at all. He’s won Cups and has nothing to gain by going to a contender to be a back up. I really think he should stay in NJ and they can start him the last game and the fans of NJ can pay tribute, just as Rockies fans did for Todd Helton (I didn’t want to mention the thing that went on forever last summer in the Bronx).

• 950003cups - Feb 10, 2014 at 4:03 PM

That was monumental!!! Having Jeter and Pettitte take him out of the game was epic!! Made me shed a tear. I remember when they all started their first games. I remember watching this set up guy, didn’t remember his name, who was called in with bases loaded, no outs, and just seal 3 fast outs. That was when Mariano was Wetteland’s set up man. It was the 96 playoffs vs Orioles.

Top 10 NHL Player Searches